J. Anthony Girolami is a partner in the Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental Practice Group and a member of the firm’s Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance Team. He is the Leader of the firm's Latin American team.
Areas of Practice
Anthony specializes in corporate and energy-related transactions with an international focus. As a member of the Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance Team, Anthony represents both U.S. and international clients in cross-border business transactions involving the development and financing of renewable energy projects, agricultural developments and basic infrastructure in the United States, Latin America, and Asia. He has represented financial institutions, infrastructure developers and renewable energy companies in the formation of joint ventures, project financings, greenfield project developments, construction and supply contracts, off-take agreements and distribution agreements.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Anthony was a partner in the Energy Development Group at Stoel Rives LLP in San Diego. He also founded and managed the Girolami Legal Group, a business law firm in San Diego, California (2010–2015), was counsel with the Mexico City office of Chadbourne & Parke (2006–2009), and a senior associate at Shearman & Sterling LLP in New York and São Paulo, Brazil (2003–2006).
- Mainstream Phu Cuong Company Ltd. in connection with project development and procurement for a 200 MW offshore wind project in Soc Trang province, Vietnam.
- Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd. in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a Turbine Supply Agreement, Service and Maintenance Agreement, and an Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement for seven (7) wind energy projects in Chile with an aggregate installed capacity of 1 GW.
- Simpatica Brasil LLC in connection with the development of a joint venture with a Brazilian agricultural company for the production, harvesting, and sale of avocados in Brazil and Europe.
- Transportadora Brasileira Gasoduto Bolivia Brasil (TBG) in connection with the negotiation and documentation of equipment supply and overhaul agreements for the continued operation and maintenance of the Bolivia Brazil gas pipeline.
- AELA Energia in connection with the negotiation and documentation of two (2) Service and Maintenance Agreements with Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy related to the Sarco Wind Farm and the Aurora Wind Farm in Chile.
- Shady Oaks Wind II, LLC in connection with the negotiation and documentation of an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Agreement for the Shady Oaks II Wind Project in Illinois.
- Las Lomas Wind Project LLC in connection with a Turbine Supply Agreement and related Service and Maintenance Agreement with Goldwind International Holdings (HK) Limited for an 80 MW wind energy project in Texas.
- EDF-RE Offshore Development LLC in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a Service and Availability Agreement related to the 28.5 MW Nautilus Offshore Wind Project in New Jersey.
- Cyrq Energy, Inc., in connection with the negotiation and documentation of an Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement for the expansion of the Patua Geothermal Power Plant in Nevada.
- AELA Eolica Sarco SpA in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a Turbine Supply Agreement, Maintenance Agreement, and Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement for a 170 MW wind energy project in La Serena, Chile.
- AELA Eolica Llanquihue SpA in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a Turbine Supply Agreement, Maintenance Agreement, and Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement for a 129 MW wind energy project in Puerto Montt, Chile.
- Zuma Energia in connection with the negotiation and documentation of an Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement for a 443 MW wind energy project in Reynosa, Mexico.
- EDF Renewable Development Inc. Wind in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a Turnkey Engineering Procurement and Construction Agreement for a 150 MW wind energy in North Dakota.
* Includes some matters prior to joining Sheppard Mullin
Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2023-2024
- Chair, Infocast Offshore Wind Power Finance and Investment Summit, San Diego, Feb. 2020
- Moderator, “Turbine Manufacturers Plans for the Future,“ Infocast Wind Power Finance and Investment Summit, San Diego, Feb. 2017
- Moderator, “Recent Developments in Financing of Mexican Solar Projects,” Infocast Solar Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico, Oct. 2016
- Moderator, “Financing Mexico’s First Round of Solar Projects,” Mexico City, Mexico, Oct. 2016
- “Doing Business in Brazil,” World Trade Center San Diego, April 24, 2012
- “Mexico Goes Verde,” California Journal of International Law, May 2009
- “Unblocked,” Project Finance Magazine, Jan. 2009
- “Recent Developments in Mexican Capital Markets,” ABA International Section Meeting, São Paulo, Brazil, May 2008
- Presenter, “Renewable Energy Projects in Mexico,” 2008 Chadbourne & Parke Project Finance Conference, May 2008
- Moderator, “Alternative Territories for the Next Wave of Infrastructure Deals,” Latin American Infrastructure and PPP Finance Conference, Miami, Florida, March 2008
- “Current Issues in Corporate Law and Capital Markets,” Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sept. 2007
- Moderator, “Securitization of Infrastructure Assets,” Securitization in Latin America, Miami, Florida, May 2007
- “Brazil’s Challenge,” Latin Finance, Oct. 2004
- Doubletree by Hilton San Diego Mission Valley, 12.14.2022
- California State Bar, International Law Section
- American Bar Association, International Law Section, Committee on Latin America
- State Bar of New York, International Law Section
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1991
B.A., University of San Diego, 1988, magna cum laude
- New York
- Brazil – Foreign Legal Consultant