Tara Wilcox is special counsel in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Del Mar office.
Areas of Practice
Tara has 30 years of experience practicing employment and traditional labor law exclusively for employers. She advises on all aspects of the employment relationship and is an experienced litigator and trial attorney.
Tara specializes in employment counseling on the gamut of issues, including discipline, termination, claims of discrimination and harassment, compensation, drug testing, and workplace violence. She regularly advises on situations involving employee leaves and the process of exploring reasonable accommodations in the disability context. She is adept at investigating claims, assessing liability, and ensuring the client is armed with a practical approach.
As a litigator, Tara handles cases from start to finish. She has obtained summary judgment for employers on numerous occasions, and she has tried and soloed jury and bench trials and has obtained complete defense verdicts and dismissals. Tara also regularly handles matters before federal and state administrative agencies including the EEOC, the Department of Labor, and their counterparts in various states.
Tara is also experienced in traditional labor matters. She has counseled clients through organizing drives and union elections, unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board, and collective bargaining negotiations.
- Obtained complete defense verdict in multi-party disability discrimination and retaliation trial spanning more than two months.
- Obtained complete defense verdict in complicated sexual harassment jury trial involving multiple plaintiffs and month of testimony.
- Obtained complete defense verdict in jury trial alleging sexual harassment and retaliation.
- After weeks-long bench trial, obtained complete judgment for defense in ERISA case alleging denial of medical benefits and improper decision making on hundreds of separate medical claims.
- Secured more than 25 restraining orders protecting employers, employees and retail customers against workplace violence and civil harassment.
Rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating an attorney can receive for legal quality and ethics, 1992-present
Member, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of California
Member, Labor and Employment Section, San Diego County Bar Association
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1991
B.A., University of Virginia, 1988, high distinction
- Extern to the Honorable Joel B. Rosen, Magistrate, United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- Extern to Board Member Mary Miller Cracraft, National Labor Relations Board, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- District of Columbia