Theona Zhordania is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Theona specializes in business and insurance litigation, and has served as outside general counsel to several technology and retail distribution companies. She has represented these clients in securities fraud litigation, RICO claims, first amendment cases, employment and real estate disputes and allegations regarding malfeasance against officers and directors. Theona has also represented these clients in administrative proceedings, regulatory investigations and disputes over corporate control. Recently, she won a trial in which her client was alleged to have improperly diluted the company’s majority shareholder and CEO. She also successfully defended three class actions challenging Dole Food’s use of the “all natural” label on its salad kits.
Theona regularly represents insurance companies that are sued for bad faith, fraud and unfair business practices. She represents Allstate, Infinity Insurance Company, Safeway Insurance Company, Travelers, State Farm and Unum Group.
Theona was born and raised in the Republic of Georgia and moved to the United States after high school to pursue higher education. While still learning the English language, she graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with a degree in Linguistics. She then continued on to the Pepperdine School of Law, where she graduated magna cum laude and was elected to the Order of the Coif and the Order of Barristers. At the same time, Theona earned an MBA degree from Pepperdine Graziadio School of Business and Management.
Daily Journal "Top 20 Under 40" in 2013
The Recorder "50 Lawyers on the Fast Track" in 2012
Daily Journal "Top Five Associates to Watch in 2012"
Super Lawyers "Southern California Rising Star" from 2012-2020
Regional Champion, Texas Young Lawyers Trial Competition, Spring 2005
- How to SLAPP a Bad Faith ClaimDaily Journal, 12.14.2011
- Morris v. Allstate Insurance Company, 2014 WL 1703907, -- F. Supp. 2d -- (C.D. Cal. 2014)
- Travelers Prop. Cas. Co. of Am. v. LK Transp., Inc., 2014 WL 996235, -- F. Supp. 2d -- (E.D. Cal. 2014)
- GetFugu Inc. v. Patton Boggs, LLP, 220 Cal. App. 4th 141162 (2013)
- Park v. Dole Fresh Vegetables, Inc., 964 F. Supp. 2d 1088 (N.D. Cal. 2013)
- Keshish v. Allstate Ins. Co., 959 F. Supp. 2d 1226 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Wallerstein v. Dole Fresh Vegetables, Inc., 967 F. Supp. 2d 1289 (N.D. Cal. 2013)
- Farb v. Superior Court, 174 Cal. App. 4th 678 (2009)
- "Verdicts in Excess of Policy Limits: Determining the Insurer's Duty to Defend and Settle - Navigating the Nuances of the Insurer's Duties and Risk of Bad Faith Claims," Strafford Publications Webinar, July 9, 2013
- "Excess Verdicts - How to Keep the Liability Cap On, and How to Limit Your Exposure When It's Off," Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) 23rd Annual General Counsel Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, July 25, 2012
- "Class Action Litigation: New Theories of Liability and How to Protect Against Them," Insurance Litigation Seminar, Los Angeles, CA, October 14, 2010
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 2007, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers
M.B.A., Pepperdine University, 2007
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2003, summa cum laude
- Legal extern for the Honorable J. Spencer Letts in the Central District of California
- Farsi (Persian)