Theona Zhordania is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Theona specializes in insurance litigation, including first-party and third-party insurance bad faith and coverage. Over the past 14 years, she has represented many of the major insurance carriers doing business in California, including Unum Group, Kemper Insurance Company, Infinity Insurance Company, Safeway Insurance Company, Loya Insurance Company, Allstate, State Farm, the Auto Club of Southern California and Travelers.
Theona has successfully defended insurers against claims for breach of contract, bad faith, fraud, and unfair business practices. She has handled jury trials in both state and federal court, argued matters before the California Court of Appeal, and won numerous bad faith cases on summary judgment, many of which resulted in published decisions. While the focus of her practice is in California, Theona has represented insurers in bad faith cases in Alaska, Alabama, Nevada, Florida, Montana, Missouri and Arizona. Theona has also conducted training seminars for insurers on the tort of bad faith to ensure that their employees are following best practices in responding to policy limits demands. Theona is a contributing editor for the Rutter Group’s Insurance Litigation California Practice Guide.
Outside of the insurance industry, Theona has a track record of success in complex, high-stakes business disputes, including allegations regarding malfeasance against officers and directors, partnership disputes, false advertising and real estate disputes. Theona has also represented these clients in administrative proceedings, regulatory investigations and disputes over corporate control
Theona was born and raised in the Republic of Georgia and moved to the United States when she was 15. While still learning the English language, she graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with a degree in Linguistics. She then continued on to the Pepperdine School of Law, where she graduated magna cum laude and was elected to the Order of the Coif and the Order of Barristers. At the same time, Theona earned an MBA degree from Pepperdine Graziadio School of Business and Management.
Daily Journal "Top 20 Under 40" in 2013
The Recorder "50 Lawyers on the Fast Track" in 2012
Daily Journal "Top Five Associates to Watch in 2012"
Super Lawyers "Southern California Rising Star" from 2012-2020
Regional Champion, Texas Young Lawyers Trial Competition, Spring 2005
- How to SLAPP a Bad Faith ClaimDaily Journal, 12.14.2011
- Morris v. Allstate Insurance Company, 2014 WL 1703907, -- F. Supp. 2d -- (C.D. Cal. 2014)
- Travelers Prop. Cas. Co. of Am. v. LK Transp., Inc., 2014 WL 996235, -- F. Supp. 2d -- (E.D. Cal. 2014)
- GetFugu Inc. v. Patton Boggs, LLP, 220 Cal. App. 4th 141162 (2013)
- Park v. Dole Fresh Vegetables, Inc., 964 F. Supp. 2d 1088 (N.D. Cal. 2013)
- Keshish v. Allstate Ins. Co., 959 F. Supp. 2d 1226 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Wallerstein v. Dole Fresh Vegetables, Inc., 967 F. Supp. 2d 1289 (N.D. Cal. 2013)
- Farb v. Superior Court, 174 Cal. App. 4th 678 (2009)
- "Verdicts in Excess of Policy Limits: Determining the Insurer's Duty to Defend and Settle - Navigating the Nuances of the Insurer's Duties and Risk of Bad Faith Claims," Strafford Publications Webinar, July 9, 2013
- "Excess Verdicts - How to Keep the Liability Cap On, and How to Limit Your Exposure When It's Off," Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) 23rd Annual General Counsel Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, July 25, 2012
- "Class Action Litigation: New Theories of Liability and How to Protect Against Them," Insurance Litigation Seminar, Los Angeles, CA, October 14, 2010
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 2007, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers
M.B.A., Pepperdine University, 2007
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2003, summa cum laude
- Legal extern for the Honorable J. Spencer Letts in the Central District of California
- Farsi (Persian)