Umar Sattar is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Umar has experience litigating before federal and state courts across the country. He regularly defends against single-plaintiff and class action wage and hour, discrimination, harassment, retaliation and products liability claims. He also regularly prosecutes and defends against antitrust, breach of restrictive covenant and misappropriation of trade secret claims.
Umar conducts internal investigations and audits on behalf of clients, including those related to wage and hour, whistleblower, harassment and workplace misconduct issues.
In addition to his litigation experience, Umar is skilled in counseling employers on a multitude of issues, including personnel policies, employee handbooks, federal and local leave laws, wage and hour compliance, and trade secret protection.
Umar’s practice further includes assessing labor and employment-related liabilities in connection with mergers and acquisitions. He assists clients on corporate transactions, counsels clients on post-acquisition and restructuring issues related to transactions, and drafts complex employment-related agreements.
Prior to entering private practice, Umar served as a prosecutor in the Manhattan District Attorney’s office.
Illinois Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2023
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Buyer Beware: Delaware Declines to Enforce Sale of Business Non-Compete," January 23, 2023
Labor and Employment Law Blog Posts
- "Buyer Beware: Delaware Courts Continue to Refuse to Enforce Deal-Based Non-Competes," June 29, 2023
- "We Can Now Add Civility and Secrecy to the List of Things Money Can’t Buy: NLRB Rules Non-Disparagement and Confidentiality Clauses in Severance Agreements Unlawfully Restrain and Coerce Employees," February 23, 2023
- "Illinois Supreme Court Rules All BIPA Claims Are Subject to Five-Year Time Limit," February 3, 2023
- "Buyer Beware: Tenth Circuit Issues Decision Emphasizing Critical Need for Employment Diligence," September 1, 2022
- "Colorado’s New Restrictive Covenant Law Now Effective," September 1, 2022
- "Illinois Governor Signs Non-Compete Legislation," August 26, 2021
- "Governor Signs Sweeping Changes to Illinois Employment Laws," May 12, 2021
J.D., Georgetown University, 2016
B.A., University of Tampa, 2012, magna cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado