William Kane is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Bill’s national litigation practice includes complex commercial litigation and advice across industry sectors in corporate governance, director and officer issues, shareholder rights, media/entertainment, and regulatory issues. His practice includes client representation before trial and appellate courts, administrative agencies, as well as private mediations and arbitrations. He is particularly experienced in representing clients in need of emergency injunctive relief for trade secret theft and unfair business competition. Bill further has extensive experience advising clients on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, 18 U.S.C. § 1030, having secured one of the first civil claims under the law in conjunction with a trade secret theft prosecution. He actively represents clients in contract disputes, business tort claims, antitrust, and consumer protection issues.
Bill’s private antitrust litigation experience includes successfully representing a plaintiff in an investigation and litigation in the Northern District of Illinois against Dainippon Screen for unlawful tying claims. He was also part of the defense team in USA v. Andreas (ADM) criminal antitrust case in the Northern District of Illinois, a hard fought antitrust case which involved conspiracy to fix prices in Lysine, on which the movie “The Informant” was based.
Bill’s media/entertainment experience includes representing clients in relation to copyright disputes and title issues in filmed entertainment, advice and dispute resolution of management contracts in music, rights to publicity, and defamation. He further guides trusts and estates on generational ownership and transition of copyrighted works.
His government controversy practice includes representing clients in response to state and federal regulatory enforcement actions, including parallel proceedings, Presence Exams, and market issues related to 7 U.S.C. § 9 of the Commodity Exchange Act (“CEA”), including its application in the Fin-Tech industry. He further conducts internal investigations for company board of directors and executive management in response to threatened and pending claims.
Bill served in the Illinois Attorney General's office for five years where he represented the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of state government. His public law experience included state law investigation and enforcement, civil rights prosecution and defense, state government contracting and development, constitutional defense of state statutes, and consumer protection litigation. He represented numerous state agencies and their Directors, including, the Illinois Department of Banks & Trusts, the Illinois Capital Development Board, the Illinois Department of Financial Institutions, the Illinois Health Facilities Planning Board, the Illinois Department of Insurance, the Illinois Department of Labor, and the Illinois Secretary of State. Bill’s state government trial and appellate experience included court appearances throughout Illinois in state trial and appellate courts, U.S. District Courts, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and Illinois administrative agencies.
- IP Watchdog, 05.29.2020
Law of the Ledger Blog Posts
- "Wyoming Takes the Lead With Decentralized Autonomous Organizations," May 25, 2021
- "CFTC Cryptocurrency Enforcement Receives Further Judicial Support," October 11, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Adds Litigation Partner From BakerHostetlerLaw360, 02.23.2017
- Citadel Trade Secret Theft Prosecution - Stolen Trading Information Brings Prison SentenceChicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2015
- Settled Not StirredChicago Lawyer Magazine, 2014
- Unusual Split as Supreme Court Upholds Raging Bull Copyright SuitForbes, 2014
- Supreme Court Reverses Raging Bull Copyright SuitLos Angeles Times, 2014
- Supreme Court Gives New Life to Raging Bull Rights CaseVariety, 2014
- Justices Spar Over Laches in Raging Bull BoutLaw360, 2014
- The Legal Battle Behind Bond's BlofeldThe Hollywood Reporter, 2014
- MGM and DANJAQ settle James Bond rights Dispute with McClory EstateLos Angeles Times, 2013
- Will Blofeld be back on the Silver Screen Soon? MGM ends 50 year battle with James Bond co-writerDaily Mail, 2013
- "Rock'n the Trouble", Speech of CFTC Commissioner Bart ChiltonChicago, 2013
- MGM James Bond Producer End Decades - Long War Over 007Variety, 2013
Member, Antitrust, International Law and Litigation Sections, American Bar Association
Member, Litigation and Corporate and Securities, Illinois Bar Association
St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Advisory Board Member, Center for the Study of Democracy (2017-2019).
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, Foundation Board Member (2009-2017).
Cabrini Connections Tutor Mentoring, Advisory Board & Board Member (1995-2009).
J.D., University of Illinois Chicago, John Marshall Law School, 1986
B.S., Miami University, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois