- J.D., John Marshall Law School, 1986
- B.S., Miami University, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
William Kane is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
William focuses on complex commercial litigation and provides advice regarding business disputes, corporate governance and media/entertainment issues. He is particularly experienced in representing clients in need of emergency injunctive relief for trade secret theft and unfair business competition. William's commercial litigation experience is as noteworthy as it is varied. In every case, he looks to apply a creative approach to bring advantage to the client.
William often represents clients at trial and on appeal in state and federal court and before administrative tribunals. His broad experience includes the representation of officers and directors in both private and public companies, shareholder disputes, complex real estate and construction disputes, merger and acquisition deals and disputes regarding copyrights in entertainment properties. He litigates constitutional and statutory law issues in both private and public law cases.
Previously, William served in the Illinois Attorney General's office for five years, litigating cases on behalf of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state government before U.S. district courts, state courts and administrative agencies.
Law of the Ledger Blog Posts
- "CFTC Cryptocurrency Enforcement Receives Further Judicial Support," October 11, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Adds Litigation Partner From BakerHostetlerLaw360, February 23, 2017
- Citadel Trade Secret Theft Prosecution - Stolen Trading Information Brings Prison SentenceChicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2015
- Settled Not StirredChicago Lawyer Magazine, 2014
- Unusual Split as Supreme Court Upholds Raging Bull Copyright SuitForbes, 2014
- Supreme Court Reverses Raging Bull Copyright SuitLos Angeles Times, 2014
- Supreme Court Gives New Life to Raging Bull Rights CaseVariety, 2014
- Justices Spar Over Laches in Raging Bull BoutLaw360, 2014
- The Legal Battle Behind Bond's BlofeldThe Hollywood Reporter, 2014
- MGM and DANJAQ settle James Bond rights Dispute with McClory EstateLos Angeles Times, 2013
- Will Blofeld be back on the Silver Screen Soon? MGM ends 50 year battle with James Bond co-writerDaily Mail, 2013
- "Rock'n the Trouble", Speech of CFTC Commissioner Bart ChiltonChicago, 2013
- MGM James Bond Producer End Decades - Long War Over 007Variety, 2013
- Member, Antitrust, International Law and Litigation Sections, American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation and Corporate and Securities, Illinois Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Advisory Board Member, Center for the Study of Democracy, St. Mary’s College of Maryland