William Ziegelbauer is an associate in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
William serves as a trusted advisor to clients on complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, growth capital investments, minority investments, joint ventures, reorganizations, and general corporate matters, primarily focusing on matters within the healthcare sector and related industries. William also has extensive experience with transactions involving mortgage industry firms, probiotics and supplement developers and sellers, business service companies, e-commerce businesses and technology companies.
In addition to leading negotiations on, and drafting the key legal documents that encompass, such transactions, William routinely provides comprehensive management of related legal workstreams, coordinating with his clients’ deal teams, Sheppard Mullin’s subject matter specialists, and other parties’ legal counsel to take on complicated strategic, regulatory, structural, and business-level challenges. He represents entrepreneurs, physician practices, payors, private equity firms, public companies, privately-held companies and family offices, and has approached transactions from all sides, including investor and company-side representations and sell-side and buy-side representations. William’s extensive experience includes providing counsel on several of the most impactful healthcare transactions in recent years. He has also helped his clients assess corporate practice of medicine (CPOM) compliance questions and develop mid- and long-term growth strategies.
William has also become an expert regarding, and provided extensive advice to companies of all kinds concerning, paycheck protection program loan regulations.
William strives to enhance his practice through the use of the latest and greatest software innovations available to law firms, which allows him to efficiently and effectively manage time-intensive due diligence and other large-scale projects, and his personal fluency with programs such as Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint allow him to deeply explore and understand his clients’ business theses and effectively coordinate with and assist his clients’ other advisors.
Representative Healthcare Sector Transactions:
- Represented Cigna in its multi-billion dollar acquisition of telehealth company MDLive.
- Represented the SPAC Alkuri Global Acquisition Corp. in its merger with multinational virtual care provider Babylon Health at a $4.2 billion valuation.
- Represented Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina in its joint venture with private equity fund Deerfield Capital, which aims to provide support to the North Carolina physician community through a new management company, investment, transition to value-based care and acquisitions.
- Represented Havencrest Capital Management in its acquisition of ThermoTek, a Texas-based medical device manufacturer.
- Represented Summit Medical Group in its multi-billion dollar sale to Warburg Pincus and the merger with its portfolio company, CityMD, which was the second largest physician services M&A transaction of 2019 and was the first-of-its-kind between an independent physician-owned multispecialty medical group and an urgent care provider.
- Represented CareMount Medical Group in its acquisition of Murray Hill Medical Group.
- Represented Summit Medical Group in the formation of its strategic partnership with Bend Memorial Clinic.
Other Representative Transactions:
- Represented ArrowMark Partners in its role as the lead investor in an equity financing of Mass Innovation Labs, Inc. (d/b/a SmartLabs), a pharma-grade research laboratory and support provider.
- Represented ArrowMark Partners in its role as the lead investor in an equity financing of Convene, a national provider of meeting spaces and hospitality services in Class A office buildings.
- Represented Microbiome Labs in its sale to Novozymes.
- Represented Chevalier International Holdings in its acquisitions of assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing, independent living, and medical facilities in various states throughout the U.S.
- Represented Agamya Capital in the leveraged buyout of World Inspection Network International, Inc., a franchisor of home inspection services with over 180 franchises across 32 states.
- Represented Shellpoint Partners in its sale to New Residential Investment Corp.
- Represented Ganeden Biotech in its sale to the Kerry Group.
- Represented Rakuten in its sale of The Grommet to Ace Hardware.
- Represented Prospect Mortgage in its sale to HomeBridge Financial Services.
- Represented RLH Equity Partners in its sale of Mondo International to the Addison Group.
- Represented RLH Equity Partners in its sale of Bluewolf to IBM.
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers, 2023
Corporate and Securities Law Blog
Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog
- "Paycheck Protection Program: Loan Forgiveness Estimator Workbook," May 28, 2020
- "Computational Framework for Determining Number of Employees for Eligibility, Qualifying Loan Amount and Forgiveness for a PPP Loan," April 20, 2020
- Global Legal Chronicle, 09.24.2018