Ana Alvarez is a Legal Consultant in the Antitrust and Competition Law Practice Group in the firm’s Brussels office.
Areas of Practice
Ana advises on EU and Spanish competition law, including State aid matters in several sectors such as air and rail transport, energy, insurance and basic industries. She is also involved in EU litigation cases before the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
She works on all competition matters such as competition investigations, State aid issues, merger control and gun jumping, actions for damages, and advisory. Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Ana was trained in EU Law in Spain and Belgium and she received an LL.M. in European Legal Studies from the College of Europe. She was part of the antitrust groups of other law firms in Spain and Brussels, with a focus in the telecommunications, transport and basic industries. She also gained valuable experience from the European Commission as a trainee in 2021-2022 at the Cabinet of Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager, Commissioner for Competition.
- Advice on State aid recapitalisation measures under the Covid-19 Temporary Framework in the aviation sector.
- State aid notification to the European Commission in various sectors.
- Advice on damages directive and proposal for a directive on platform work.
- Contribution to the drafting of written pleadings before the EU courts in various cases.
- Advice on a number of issues concerning merger operations and gun jumping.
Degree in Law and Degree in Translation and Interpreting, University of Salamanca, 2021, cum laude
Masters in European Affairs, University of Salamanca, cum laude
LL.M in European Legal Studies, College of Europe (Bruges, Belgium)
Exchange Program in SciencesPo, Paris