- J.D., Southern Methodist University, 2008, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 2005, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern & Western Districts of Texas
Amanda L. Cottrell is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Dallas office.
Areas of Practice
Amanda's practice focuses on white collar criminal defense, internal investigation, and complex commercial litigation. She has represented numerous companies in state and federal court. Amanda routinely defends energy and natural resource companies in commercial disputes, with focus on property, contract, and accounting issues. She has also assisted clients facing potential civil or criminal charges related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), antitrust, fraud, and export matters. Amanda has managed and participated in multinational investigations with sensitive timelines and deliverables.
Amanda is an avid distance runner, earning two varsity letters in Cross Country and Track at Vanderbilt University. Her mental toughness and team spirit shine in her law practice. She is adept at organizing multidisciplinary litigation and investigative teams in a highly efficient and effective manner.
Prior to Sheppard Mullin, she practiced at another major law firm, in the commercial and energy litigation sections.
Amanda's family supports the Laundry Project, a non-profit organization, that aids low income neighborhoods by offering free laundry services to families.
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016-2019
- Best Lawyers Under 40, D Magazine, 2019
- Best Lawyers in Dallas – Energy & Natural Resources, D Magazine, 2019
- Dallas Bar Association WE LEAD Class of 2019
- The Texas Lawbook, May 13, 2019
- Women in White Collar Defense Association, Dallas Chapter
- State Bar of Texas, Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Energy Section