Aaron Levy is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
Aaron represents asset managers, investment funds, major banks, insurance companies, broker-dealers and end-users in a range of derivatives and structured products transactions, including financial and commodity swaps, total return swaps, deal-contingent hedges, physically settled commodity forwards, tender option bonds and structured repurchase transactions. Aaron has extensive experience with structuring, documenting and negotiating off-exchange derivatives transactions and advising on hedging matters relating to secured credit facilities. He also has experience negotiating power hedges and other commodity swaps, particularly in the renewables space. In the secondary market for municipal securities, Aaron represents several market leaders in all aspects of the tender option bond structure.
A significant focus of Aaron’s practice consists of counseling dealers and end-users on the strategic and regulatory implications of the Dodd-Frank Act, Basel standards and other laws and regulations of the CFTC, the SEC and the federal banking regulators affecting the derivatives industry. Advice in this area includes the applicability and scope of margin, clearing and other regulations under Title VII of the Dodd-Frank Act, the cross-border application of such regulations, the CFTC’s Commodity Pool Operator and Commodity Trading Advisor regime, and the implications of the Volcker Rule.
He also has extensive experience advising on the formation and regulation of hedge funds and other private investment vehicles.
Ones to Watch — Banking and Finance Law, Best Lawyers, 2021, 2023-2024
- New York Law Journal, 08.04.2022
- “Bridging the Gap: A Hedge Provider’s Perspective on the Limits of a Blanket Cross-Default Clause in ISDA Master Agreements,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, 2021
“Contractual Framework for Cleared Derivatives: The Master Netting Agreement between a Clearing Customer and a Central Counterparty,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, 2014
Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: Law of the Ledger
- "California District Court Finds that EKRA Applies to Compensation Methodologies for Labs’ Employed Marketers Who Market to Physicians," June 29, 2022
Finance and Bankruptcy Law Blog Posts
- "Proposed “Made Available to Trade” Determination for SOFR and SONIA Swaps," April 26, 2023
- "SEC’s Proposed Conflicts of Interest Rule May Impede Hedging," April 14, 2023
- "Synthetic USD LIBOR," December 20, 2022
- "CFTC Amends Clearing Requirements," August 25, 2022
- "Security-Based Swap Rules for End-Users," November 3, 2021
- "LSTA Publishes Term SOFR Concept Document," September 7, 2021
- "ARRC Formally Recommends Term SOFR," August 2, 2021
- "Latest Milestone in LIBOR Replacement Passed," July 28, 2021
Energy Law Blog Posts
- Speaker, “Energy Derivatives Update: Hedging Renewable Power in the Aftermath of Uri – Not Just an ERCOT Issue,” Webinar, 09.15.2021
- Various presentations to targeted audiences on a range of topics, including LIBOR replacement initiatives, mandatory central clearing of certain swaps, the U.S. and EU margin rules for uncleared swaps and the CFTC’s Commodity Pool Operator and Commodity Trading Advisor rules, among other areas.
ISDA US Documentation and Legal Group
ISDA Fintech Legal Group
ISDA IBOR Fallback Implementation Subgroup
Derivatives & Structured Products Law Committee of the New York State Bar Association
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2010
B.A., Dartmouth College, 2007, cum laude
- New York