With an emphasis on business-focused legal advice, we partner with our clients to offer unparalleled services throughout the entire fund life cycle, including structuring, formation and management. Our investment management practice serves fund sponsors across the globe with respect to the formation, offering and management of private funds and other alternative investment vehicles.
Private Fund Sponsor Advisory and Transactional Representation
The partners and other attorneys in our investment management group have focused primarily on advising private fund sponsors and have extensive experience with various types of U.S. and international investment funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and advising on or coordinating local counsel advice on new laws and regulation applicable to private funds and their managers. Our fund sponsor and "LP" representation work provides us with up-to-date developments on commercial terms and legal considerations across a range of fund types and industry focuses, including private equity, real estate, venture capital, hedge, credit (including mezzanine, senior loan and distressed), secondary, fund-of-funds, angel, film and infrastructure and renewable energy funds. Our investment management attorneys work collaboratively with our transactional, finance, tax and ERISA lawyers to deliver a coordinated, efficient solution to investment management legal needs.
Private Fund Management Representation
Our attorneys work closely with investment advisory firms providing counsel on a range of operational matters, including with respect to internal governance and organization, investment adviser compliance, carried interest and co-investment arrangements, spinouts, reorganizations and fund restructurings and portfolio acquisitions and dispositions. Our investment management practice works collaboratively with our transactional, finance, tax and ERISA lawyers to deliver a coordinated, efficient solution to investment management legal needs.
Private Fund Investor Counselling
Our attorneys also represents institutional investors around the globe, including sovereign wealth funds, state retirement systems and other state-owned pensions, family offices, corporations and other investors in private funds. These clients operate across a broad spectrum of alternative investment asset classes and strategies. We help structure "anchor" and "seed" investor terms and bespoke co-investment vehicles and platforms designed for a range of investment strategies and asset classes.
• Alaska Permanent Fund – During calendar year 2018, represented APFC on over a dozen private equity, venture capital, credit and hedge funds investments, as well as 7 co-investments into private transactions representing the aggregate deployment of in excess of $2.5 billion dollars, including "anchor" investment in Capital Constellation LP, in connection with its launch and initial fund
• Annenberg Foundation – Represented as investor in numerous fund investments, including fund of deals and managed accounts
• Aretex Capital Partners – In the summer of 2018 we advised on the firm on its and formation of its initial fund, alongside the closing of a portfolio of private equity investments, using commitments of $325 million of its initial fund. Our role as lead outside counsel includes all aspects of firm and regulatory organization.
• Astra Capital Management – Represented the investment merger with its registration with the SEC as an investment advisor
• AXA XL – Advised on structure of corporate venture capital and strategic co-investment platform; advise on investment transactions
• Banner Oak Capital Partners – $800 million for 2 funds designed to provide programmatic equity capital to real estate operating platforms
• Blue Water Worldwide – Advised on management company restructuring and operating platform acquisition and Investment Advisers Act compliance
• Canterbury Consulting – Represented numerous tax exempt foundations in respect to numerous private equity investments in fund of funds, real estate funds and technology funds
• Cube Infrastructure Managers – Advised AIFM of €1.1 bn European infrastructure fund on formation of successor European infrastructure fund and EU-focused telcom focused fund
• Element Capital Group – Formation of cryptocurrency investment fund then invested in the Telegram ICO
• Grey Rock Energy Partners – Advised on management company structuring issues and Investment Advisers Act compliance
• Monticello Asset Management – Advised formation of initial private credit REIT and series of lending transactions from co-investment platform; operational and compliance matters related to co-investment transactions
• Spaulding & Slye Investments – Formation of several real estate funds focused on value-add strategy
• Swicorp Financial Advisory Services, S.A.– Formation of a special purpose biotech fund for investors from Saudi Arabia
• Prophet Capital Asset Management – Advised on offering and operation of hedge fund, private credit REIT and various managed accounts, and related Investment Adviser Act compliance
• McDowell Properties – Formation of several funds and Investment Advisors Act compliance