Paul Kim is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Seoul office.
Areas of Practice
Paul J. Kim advises clients on cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A), private equity, venture capital and securities transactions, restructurings and multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Paul has more than 25 years of experience representing a diverse range of clients operating in numerous industries and in many countries, practicing for nearly 20 years in New York where he focused on advising clients in M&A and other transactional matters, before relocating to Seoul. His clients include private equity funds and investment managers, industrial and manufacturing companies, pharmaceutical and biotech companies and commercial banks and other financial institutions.
Paul has particularly broad experience representing Korean, European and US clients in complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, restructurings and other matters, and has been recognized on multiple occasions by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, The Legal 500 U.S. and Asian Legal Business.
Recent Representative Experience
- Represented LG Chem Ltd. as U.S. counsel in its acquisition of certain OLED solutions technology and related assets from E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company and DuPont Displays, Inc. and related know how transfer and license agreements entered in connection with such acquisition. Researched and analyzed potential applicability of CFIUS’s new pilot program and potential filing obligations thereunder.
- Represented LG Chem Ltd. as U.S. counsel in its acquisition by merger of NanoH2O, Inc., a California-based, venture-backed developer, manufacturer and distributor of reverse-osmosis membranes used for desalination, for a purchase price of approximately US$200 million. Obtained CFIUS approval and early termination under HSR in connection with the acquisition.
- Represented LG Corp. as U.S. counsel in connection with its acquisition, together with LG Chem Ltd. and LG Electronics Inc., of a controlling stake in Rolls-Royce Fuel Cell Systems (US) Inc., a U.S. fuel cell systems company. Obtained CFIUS approval in connection with this transaction.
- Representing one of the largest asset management companies in Korea in connection with the review of its holdings in co-investments made in various venture backed companies valued in excess of $100 million.
- Representing one of the largest asset management companies in Korea in connection with its potential investment in a venture backed leading online payments company in a secondary transaction.
- Representing a listed Korean biotechnology company in connection with its proposed acquisition of a controlling interest in a U.S. venture backed biotechnology startup company and potential future IPO.
- Representing an affiliate of Mirae Asset Global Investments in connection with stock repurchases and the return of proceeds relating to a disposition of its holdings in a U.S. and global franchise.
- Represented one of the largest asset management companies in Korea in connection with the structuring, formation and documentation of a 50/50 co-GP managed venture capital fund with a venture capital firm based in Singapore that would act as the general partner of an up to $200 million investment fund domiciled in Singapore.
- Represented one of the largest asset management companies in Korea in connection with its purchases of interests in numerous U.S. leveraged loan facilities, including from the following credit funds and banks:
- Credit Suisse/UBS
- Benefit Street Partners
- Represented one of the largest asset management companies in Korea in connection with the establishment of a program to purchase up to US$100 million of peer-to-peer (P2P) loans originated/arranged by a U.S. publicly traded company that is the world's largest peer-to-peer lending platform pursuant to a Master Loan Purchase Agreement and Master Loan Servicing Agreement.
- Represented an affiliate of Hanwha Asset Management Co., Ltd. in its KRW 700 billion preferred stock investment in Doosan Bobcat, the leading compact farm and construction equipment manufacturer in North America.
- Represented Mirae Asset Global Investments, one of the largest private equity firms in Korea, and Fila Korea, a leading sportswear and apparel company headquartered in Korea in their US$1.225 billion acquisition of the Acushnet golf business, the owner of the Titleist and Footjoy golf brands, from Fortune Brands, Inc.; the transaction was named “Consumer M&A Deal of the Year” by M&A Advisor magazine and “Korea Deal of the Year” by FinanceAsia magazine.
- Represented Korean private equity funds Mirae Asset Private Equity Partners Fund VII, Neoplux No.1 Private Equity Fund, and Woori Blackstone Korea Opportunity Fund in the sale of over 22 million shares of common stock in the selling shareholder only U.S. initial public offering (IPO) of Acushnet Holdings Corp. (NYSE:GOLF). In a related transaction immediately following the pricing of the IPO, represented Mirae Asset Private Equity Partners Fund VII and Neoplux No.1 Private Equity Fund in their private sale of over 14 million shares of common stock of Acushnet to Magnus Holdings Co. Ltd., an affiliate of Fila Korea Ltd.
- Represented Korean private equity funds controlled by Mirae Asset Private Equity Fund VII in the sale of over 9.165 million shares of common stock of Acushnet Holdings Corp. (NYSE: GOLF) in a selling shareholder only secondary public offering. The transaction was nominated for “Equity Deal of the Year” by Asian Legal Business for the 2018 ALB Korea Law Awards.
- Represented Yellomobile in various financing transactions with an aggregate value of approximately $100 million.
- Represented Macrogen, a listed Korean biotechnology and gene sequencing company, in connection with the mergers of its three U.S. affiliates and subsequent issuance by the surviving corporation in such mergers of a convertible note to Korean investors.
- Represented H.I.G. Growth Partners, a leading US growth capital fund manager with more than US$1.5 billion in committed growth capital assets under management, in connection with numerous buyouts and dispositions of portfolio companies in the e-commerce, digital media, internet and other technology sectors.
- Represented Dr. Willmar Schwabe Pharmaceuticals, a leading phytomedicines and related health care products group headquartered in Germany in connection with, among other representations, the following:
- Representation of its U.S. subsidiary in connection with the acquisition of the business and assets of a leading vitamin, minerals and dietary supplements maker and distributor in the United States.
- Representation of its global holding company in connection with various transactions and representations relating to its China Operations, including representing such company in certain disputes with private Taiwanese and Hong Kong parties, the consummation of two new supply agreements, new license agreements, a noncompetition agreement and terminations of various existing agreements, with an aggregate transaction value of over €300 million.
- Representation of its global holding company in connection with the renegotiation of its license agreement with its Korean license.
- Representation of Nature’s Way, its U.S. subsidiary in connection with the acquisition of a leading maker of dietary and nutritional supplements in the United States from a private equity fund in a transaction valued at over U.S.$100 million.
- Represented the largest pharmaceutical company in Japan in connection with the establishment of a sponsored Level I American Depositary Receipt (ADR) program in the United States and the use of such facility in certain global executive compensation and benefit programs.
Chambers Asia Pacific
Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Legal 500 U.S.
- Nota Bene Episode 88: Asia Check In: COVID Recovery, China’s National Security Law for Hong Kong, and Navigating a U.S.-China Cold War with Paul Kim
- Nota Bene Episode 69: Asia Check In: The Coronavirus’s Impact on Business, the Trilateral Summit, and Japan’s Criminal Justice System with Paul Kim
- Nota Bene Episode 61: Exploring South Korea’s Economic Growth and Multinational Business Climate with Paul Kim
J.D., Harvard University, 1993
A.B., University of Chicago, 1990, highest honors
- New York
- Republic of Korea (Foreign Legal Consultant for U.S. Law)