Sheppard Mullin Unveils Mexico Practice Team
Sheppard Mullin is pleased to announce the launch of the Mexico practice team. The team is comprised of a completely bi-lingual and bi-cultural group of professionals which includes partners, associates and paralegals who have lived, worked and/or studied in Latin America. As a result they are thoroughly familiar with the local culture and environment. Through their years of working on cross border matters, our attorneys have developed an extensive network of contacts in the legal, accounting and business communities. Whether you need local counsel, local accountants, business consultants or simply someone to assist you in conducting due diligence, identifying a local strategic partner or assessing a market opportunity, we can assist you in identifying the right person. Our familiarity with Mexico’s legal and business community and system allows Sheppard Mullin to serve as an effective bridge between the United States and Mexico. Our expertise and past transactions include:
- Direct investment into Mexico including selection of entities, tax planning to maximize tax benefits in the United States and Mexico, formation of Mexican companies and application for relevant permits;
- Assistance in the structuring, incorporation and licensing
of companies under Mexico’s Maquiladora program;
- Mergers and acquisitions in the United States and Mexico including representation of Mexican companies acquiring significant manufacturing facilities in the United States as well as acquisitions of companies in Mexico;
- Structuring and documenting the formation of investment vehicles for investment in Mexican projects;
- Advising clients on their real estate investments in Mexico;
- Cross border dispute resolution and arbitration; representing clients in cross border litigation;
- Advising U.S. and Mexican clients on the use of tax treaties with third countries and the formation of entities in third countries for direct investment in the U.S. or Mexico in a tax efficient manner;
- U.S. immigration matters;
- Advising clients on the use of foreign trust and offshore corporations as investment vehicles for investments made by Mexican citizens in the United States;
- Representing Mexican broker-dealers and underwriters and their U.S. subsidiaries;
- International estate planning for families where one generation will remain in Mexico while the rest will immigrate to the United States;
- Advising developers on the advisability of setting up a captive reassurance program in connection with resort properties in Mexico;
- Structuring the acquisition, refinance and debt swap for a Mexican holding company that owns resorts in Mexico;
- Structuring and documenting timeshare programs for resorts in Mexico; and
- Development of a corporate and tax strategy for newly licensed telecommunications carriers operating in the United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe.
For more information regarding Sheppard Mullin’s Mexico capabilities, please contact Jerry Gumpel at (858) 720-8965 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
© 2002, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP.