- J.D., University of Chicago
- M.A., M.A.L.D., The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- B.A., University of California, San Diego
Jerry Gumpel is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in Sheppard Mullin's San Diego (Del Mar) office. He is the Co-Team Leader of the firm's International Practice Group and a member of the Latin American team.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Gumpel advises clients on corporate and real estate matters. Mr. Gumpel represents clients whose businesses and investments span the globe, with a particular emphasis on US-Mexico cross border matters. With regard to corporate matters, he specializes in formation of joint ventures and partnerships, structuring investment vehicles and platforms. He advises companies, entrepreneurs, privately held businesses and family offices on their domestic and international matters. These matters include mergers and acquisitions, corporate structure and governance, raising of debt and equity domestically and abroad, and the negotiation of strategic alliances and co-investments with private equity funds. His clients are multinational corporations, privately held businesses, financial service providers, and family offices. With regard to real estate, Mr. Gumpel represents sponsors of real estate funds and investors in all facets of real estate investments including hospitality, multi-family and shopping centers. Working closely with the Firm’s tax department Mr. Gumpel assists clients in developing tax efficient investment platforms and in the preparation of multi-generational estate plans for families with a global presence.
Born and raised in Ecuador, and educated in the U.S., Mr. Gumpel brings a global perspective to the matters he handles for clients. He is also fluent in Spanish and German.
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawers, 2018
- San Diego Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2015, 2016
- Recognized as world's leading private client lawyers, Who's Who Legal, 2013
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2007, 2012, 2014
- Top Attorney, The Daily Transcript, 2006
- January 1, 2002
- June 21, 2005
- The Global Family in America
- Tax Planning For In-Bound Investments Into the U.S.
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla, May 13, 2008
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of California
- National Commissioner, Former Chairman, Regional Board of the Anti Defamation League