Alyssa M. Sones is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group. She is the Lead Associate of Sheppard Mullin’s Retail, Fashion & Beauty Industry Team and serves as an Editor for its Retail Trend Spotter blog. Alyssa is also an active member of the firm’s Privacy and Cybersecurity Team and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Areas of Practice
Alyssa excels at helping businesses resolve disputes with customers. She is dedicated to guiding clients through thorny state and federal consumer protection laws and efficiently achieving great outcomes in complex litigation matters.
Many of the largest global brands trust Alyssa to skillfully litigate cases involving privacy and cyber security, data breach, false advertising, and product pricing. She negotiates clients through various other complex commercial litigation matters including shareholder actions, breach of contract, employment and licensing litigation.
Alyssa has a breadth of experience managing the litigation process from individual arbitrations to nationwide class actions, and from early demands to appeals. Alyssa has experience drafting critical litigation documents from basic pleadings to summary judgment motions and complex settlement agreements. Alyssa is also an excellent oral advocate with experience negotiating settlement agreements for a fraction of an opponent’s demand, deposing key witnesses and successfully arguing dispositive motions.
In addition to her active litigation practice, Alyssa frequently writes and speaks on various topics including consumer contracts, civil procedure, advertising and privacy law.
- Daily Journal, 03.19.2020
Corporate and Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Delaware Chancery Court Strictly Construes Appraisal Statute to Deny Stockholders Appraisal Rights in a Reverse Triangular Merger," July 20, 2018
- "United States Supreme Court Holds that Foreign Corporations May Not Be Held Liable Under the Alien Tort Statute," May 1, 2018
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
- "French Regulator Says “Oui” to GDPR Fines for Under-Protected and Over-Retained Data," July 29, 2019
- "Washington State’s Comprehensive Privacy Law Bill Continues to Navigate Through State Legislature," April 27, 2019
- "UK Issues Fine for Unsolicited Funeral Marketing Emails," October 26, 2018
- "FTC Expresses Concerns Over Mobile Security Updates," May 17, 2018
Retail Law Blog Posts
- "FTC Signals Plan to Enforce Civil Penalties for Deceptive Endorsements," November 4, 2021
- Webinar, 04.28.2021
- Webinar, 10.14.2020
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2017
B.A., University of Washington, 2013
- Extern to the Honorable Margaret M. Morrow, Central District of California
- Central District of California; Northern District of California; Southern District of California