Brian Gurtman is a partner in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group in the firm's New York Office.
Areas of Practice
Brian Gurtman's real estate experience is grounded in two decades of work within the New York City real estate market. He has advised his clients in varying economic situations and guided them in their needs and decisions regarding all aspects of real estate finance, development, acquisitions, sales and leasing, and land use matters. Brian has also counseled clients in connection with complicated corporate, partnership, and limited liability company transactions involving real estate companies and real estate joint ventures and debt and equity financings. Brian has advised lenders and borrowers in financing transactions including mortgage, mezzanine and preferred equity transactions.
Brian’s clients include private equity funds, investors, developers, lenders, servicers, family offices, crowdfunding vehicles and other owners with real estate transaction needs in New York as well as throughout the United States and the world. His clients also include buyers and sellers of commercial properties, including residential, retail, industrial and office projects.
- Representation of a lender in connection with the origination of more than $2 billion in mortgage and mezzanine loan originations and preferred equity transactions.
- Representation of special servicer in connection with the restructuring of a $1.2 billion mortgage loan on a property in midtown Manhattan.
- Representation of real estate investment firm in connection with the recapitalization of a $1.4 billion portfolio of office properties.
- Representation of publicly traded REIT in connection with the acquisition and disposition of properties valued in excess of $500,000,000 in the aggregate through the United States.
- Representation of private equity fund in connection with the acquisition and financing of multifamily properties in New York and throughout the country.
- Representation of ownership in connection with the recapitalization of an office building in San Francisco, California.
- Representation of a family office in connection with the acquisition and financing of hotel properties in Nashville, Tennessee and Chicago, Illinois.
- Representation of national real estate investment fund in connection with the acquisition of a 265-unit class A apartment building on Manhattan’s Upper West Side.
- Representation of a crowdfunding platform in connection with the investment in real estate projects nationwide.
- Representation of national real estate investment manager in connection with the negotiation of joint ventures, acquisitions and financings of properties valued in excess of $350,000,000 in the aggregate throughout the United States.
- Representation of ownership in connection with the refinancing and recapitalization of retail property on the Las Vegas Strip.
- Representation of private equity investors in connection with the restructuring of outstanding REIT interests and repayment of debt.
- Representation of one of the world’s largest real estate investment managers in connection with the financing, development and leasing of residential and retail property in Manhattan.
- Representation of the world’s largest physical retailer in the acquisition, permitting and development of numerous new stores and expansions throughout the New England region.
- Representation of one of the world’s largest global asset management firms in connection with its leasing of over 200,000 square feet of office space in Manhattan.
- Representation of the developer of a planned five million square foot mixed use development in Massachusetts.
- Representation of hedge funds, investment advisors and other companies in connection with the leasing of space in Manhattan and throughout the United States.
- Representation of international staffing company in connection with its leases at over 50 global locations
- Representation of an international marketing firm in connection with a build-to-suit lease for construction of an 50,000+ square foot office building in Colorado.
New York Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2012-2020
New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2011
- Globe St., 10.29.2018
- Law360, 10.30.2018
- New York Law Journal, 10.29.2018
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2000
B.S., Information Systems, Yeshiva University, 1997
- New York