- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2000
- B.S., Information Systems, Yeshiva University, 1997
- New York
Brian Gurtman is a partner in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group in the firm's New York Office.
Areas of Practice
Brian Gurtman's real estate experience is grounded in over a decade of work within the New York City real estate market. He has advised his clients in varying economic situations and guided them in their needs and decisions regarding all aspects of real estate finance, development, acquisitions, sales and leasing, and land use matters. Brian has also counseled clients in connection with complicated corporate, partnership, and limited liability company transactions involving real estate companies and real estate joint ventures and debt and equity financings.
Brian’s clients include investors, developers, lenders, and owners with real estate transaction needs in New York as well as throughout the United States and the world. His clients also include buyers and sellers of commercial properties, including residential, retail, industrial and office projects.
- New York Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2012-2018
- New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2011
- Representation of special servicer in connection with the restructuring of a $1.2 billion mortgage loan on a property in midtown Manhattan.
- Representation of real estate investment firm in connection with the recapitalization of a $1.4 billion portfolio of office properties.
- Representation of publicly traded REIT in connection with the acquisition of properties valued in excess of $400,000,000 in the aggregate through the United States.
- Representation of national real estate investment fund in connection with the acquisition of a 265-unit class A apartment building on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, in what was the largest multifamily property transaction in Manhattan in over a year.
- Representation of national real estate investment manager in connection with the negotiation of joint ventures, acquisitions and financings of properties valued in excess of $250,000,000 in the aggregate throughout the United States.
- Representation of private equity investors in connection with the restructuring of outstanding REIT interests and repayment of debt.
- Representation of one of the world’s largest real estate investment managers in connection with the financing, development and leasing of residential and retail property in Manhattan.
- Representation of the world’s largest retailer in the acquisition, permitting and development of numerous new stores and expansions throughout the New England region.
- Representation of one of the world’s largest global asset management firms in connection with its leasing of over 200,000 square feet of office space in Manhattan.
- Representation of the developer of a planned five million square foot mixed use development in Massachusetts.
- Representation of hedge funds, investment advisors and other companies in connection with the leasing of space in Manhattan and throughout the United States.
- Representation of international staffing company in connection with its leases at over 50 global locations
- Representation of an international marketing firm in connection with a build-to-suit lease for construction of an 50,000+ square foot office building in Colorado.
- Sheppard Mullin, which had only one real estate partner in Manhattan, has brought on a seven-lawyer group from Venable in New York, including the former head of the practice there.New York Law Journal, October 31, 2018
- Law360, October 30, 2018