Brittany Walter is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office. She is the associate co-lead of the firm’s Blockchain and Fintech Team as well as the firm’s Technology & Commercial Transactions Team. She is also an active member of the Sports Team, Advertising Team, and the Privacy and Cybersecurity Team.
Areas of Practice
Brittany’s practice focuses on technology and commercial transactions involving intellectual property and commercial partnerships. She routinely advises clients on legal strategy for technology, commercial and corporate transactions, as well as compliance strategies for advertising and data protection regulations. She has a special focus on blockchain-based products and services, including non-fungible tokens (“NFTs”), metaverses, virtual worlds, and games.
Technology and Commercial Transactions. Brittany advises on, drafts and negotiates, agreements involving intellectual property licensing, software development, SaaS, marketing services, sourcing and distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements, stadium and venue projects, media rights agreements, and other commercial and transactional matters. Brittany also drafts terms of service for websites and mobile applications. She has significant experience drafting and negotiating NFT agreements, including but not limited to minting agreements, brand and content agreements, joint IP development agreements, auction agreements, marketplace Terms of Service, and End-User License Agreements.
Advertising. Brittany advises clients in conducting advertising campaigns, contests and sweepstakes, and brand marketing campaigns. She also counsels clients on compliance with e-mail, telephone and SMS marketing regulations.
Privacy and Data Protection. Brittany counsels clients on compliance with domestic and international privacy laws and regulations. She helps clients with drafting privacy policies and developing and implementing comprehensive privacy compliance programs.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Brittany served on Active Duty in the U.S. Air Force. She currently serves as the lead associate of Veterans at Sheppard, and has an active pro bono practice.
Recognized in Media, Technology and Telecoms - Technology Transactions, Legal 500 US, 2023
Sheppard Mullin’s Bob Williams Community Betterment Award, 2021
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "IP Protection and the Open COVID Cure Chase," May 4, 2020
Covering Your Ads Posts
- "Thinking of Jumping on the NFT Bandwagon – Are you Prepared?," April 19, 2022
- "How the COVID-19 Lockdown will Disrupt the Upfront TV Ad Market," April 15, 2020
- "Coronavirus: Are Spectator Bans the Worst Case Scenario for Brand Sponsors?," March 6, 2020
Antitrust Blog Posts
Healthcare Blog Posts
Privacy & Cybersecurity: Eye on Privacy Blog
- "California’s “Delete Act” Significantly Expands Requirements for Data Brokers," October 12, 2023
- "UK Reprimands Companies For Failing to Keep Up with Access Requests," October 26, 2022
- "DAA Issues Warning On Device Fingerprinting," March 23, 2022
- "FTC Settles Security Claims With Both MoviePass and Its Owners," June, 25, 2021
Law of the Ledger: Blockchain Law Blog Posts
- Intellectual Property
- Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Entertainment, Technology and Advertising
- Technology Transactions
J.D., University of San Francisco, 2018, summa cum laude, McAuliffe Honor Society
B.S., United States Air Force Academy, 2005, Distinguished Graduate
- Extern to the Honorable Justice Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California