3rd Annual Ad Law Symposium
Tuesday, May 16, 2023
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. PT
12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. CT
1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. ET
Complimentary Program via Webinar
*Webinar details will be sent upon registration.*
Please join Sheppard Mullin for its 3rd Annual Ad Law Symposium which will address many of the top legal issues facing global brands and their advertising agencies. Each session will be 25 minutes long, so we encourage you to join for the entire program, or for the segments that interest you most.
- Jay Ramsey, Partner and Co-Leader, Advertising Team, Sheppard Mullin
Session 1: The Promise and Perils of Generative AI For Advertising (10:05 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
Generative AI (GAI) offers great promise for the advertising industry but comes with many potential perils. This panel will discuss how GAI is being used in advertising, the legal issues that can arise with its use and practical solutions for managing the risk.
Jim Gatto, Partner and Co-Leader, Blockchain & Fintech Team, Sheppard Mullin
Brittany Walter, Associate Co-Leader, Technology & Commercial Transactions Team, Sheppard Mullin
Session 2: Sports: How Virtual and Augmented Reality are Changing the World of Sports Marketing (10:35 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.)
Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) are revolutionizing the way fans interact with their favorite sports teams and events. VR can be used to provide fans with a fully immersive, 360-degree view of the action, allowing them to feel like they are actually in the stadium or arena. AR, on the other hand, can be used to provide fans with additional information about the game or the players, such as stats or highlights, in real-time. This panel will discuss how VR/AR can be used to create new revenue streams and new marketing and sponsorship opportunities in sports, as well as the key legal considerations that must be taken into account.
- Brian Anderson, Partner and Co-Leader, Sports Industry Team & Advertising Team, Sheppard Mullin
- Genevieve Perez, Associate, Entertainment, Technology & Advertising Team, Sheppard Mullin
Session 3: From Barbie to Breath Savers -- Brands Go to Hollywood (11:05 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.)
In an evolving ad industry landscape, advertisers are looking for different ways to target key demographics and grow their consumer bases, particularly through content creation in Hollywood and on social media. This panel will explore different examples of the current interplay between content and advertising, the commercial risks and rewards of such advertising, and the legal issues confronting companies when they are marketing their products and services in ways that go beyond traditional commercials, including brand protection, deal structures, creative and financial controls, and rights reservations and administration.
- Leif Cervantes de Reinstein, Partner, Entertainment, Technology & Advertising Team, Sheppard Mullin
- Ryan Wedell, Associate, Entertainment, Technology & Advertising Team, Sheppard Mullin
Session 4: Just When You Thought It Was Safe to Market Again… (11:30 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.)
This panel will provide a summary of litigation trends and legal claims in the advertising space, including claims around false advertising, privacy, and data sharing. We will share things to watch out for and how to spot potential problems.
- Craig Cardon, Partner and Co-Leader, Privacy and Cybersecurity Team, Sheppard Mullin
- Wynter Deagle, Partner, Privacy and Cybersecurity Team, Sheppard Mullin
- Abby Meyer, Partner and Co-Leader, Food and Beverage Team, Sheppard Mullin
This activity has been approved for Minimum 1.5 Continuing Legal Education credits by the State Bar of California. Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP certifies that this activity conforms to the standards for approved education activities prescribed by the rules and regulations of the State Bar of California governing minimum continuing legal education.
This program has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board for a maximum of 1.5 credit hours which may be applied toward the Areas of Professional Practice requirement, and is suitable for both transitional and non-transitional attorneys.
This program has been approved for 1.5 credits in the State of Texas.
*You must attend the full webinar to receive credit.
- Click here for more information on Sheppard Mullin, including our Advertising, Retail, Sports, and Privacy practices.
- For up-to-date information and recent developments, subscribe to our Advertising: Covering Your Ads Blog.
- For legal issues with Blockchain and Cryptocurrency, subscribe to our Law of the Ledger Blockchain Blog.
- For an inside look at the legal issues impacting Retail, E-Commerce, Fashion & Beauty, subscribe to our Retail Trend Spotter Blog.
Questions? Please contact Maricela Alfonso.