Jay Ramsey is a partner in the firm’s Century City Office. He is a leader of the firm’s Advertising Team and Consumer Class Action Defense Team and a member of the firm’s Retail, Privacy and Cybersecurity, and Food & Beverage groups. He is also a leader of the firm's Out at Sheppard LGBTQ Group and was the firm’s 2020 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow. Jay is a leader of the recruiting committee in the firm’s Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Jay enjoys a broad litigation practice, representing clients both in business disputes and in consumer class actions. He also advises clients pre-litigation on a variety of related matters. He has successfully represented clients at trial, on appeal, and in arbitration.
Jay represents a broad range of clients in business disputes alleging breaches of contract, fraud, breaches of fiduciary duties, interference with economic relations, wrongful solicitation, trade secrets theft, copyright and trademark infringement, claims arising out of mergers and acquisitions, and other business torts. His experience includes:
- Representing manufacturers and developers, including in the aerospace and electronics industries, in disputes with their customers and suppliers, including claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, and more.
- Representing companies in disputes regarding various software solutions, including disputes arising from ERP implementations, use of SaaS solutions, and more.
- Representing real estate investment companies and related parties in disputes arising out of acquisitions, investments, mergers, and more.
- Representing banks and other financial institutions in various disputes.
- Representing health care companies in business disputes and regulatory matters.
- Representing studios, producers, broadcasting companies, and other content producers in claims relating to distribution rights, profit participation, and other accounting issues.
Consumer Class Actions
Jay has defended major retailers, brands, product manufacturers, fintech companies, lead generators, advertising networks, food and beverage companies, insurers, health plans, hospitals, airlines, telecommunications companies, and more in a wide range of consumer class actions alleging violations of false advertising laws, unfair competition laws, consumer protection statutes, privacy laws, breach of warranty, and more. His experience includes defending against:
- False advertising claims
- False pricing claims
- Product liability claims
- Product warranty claims
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) claims
- Email marketing claims
- Call recording claims
- Debt collection claims
- Data breach and other privacy class claims
Advice and Counseling
Jay advises and counsels clients on a variety of marketing, advertising, pricing, privacy, and related e-commerce matters. Jay has advised and counseled on a variety of:
- Advertising campaigns
- Pricing strategies
- E-mail marketing regulations
- Telephone and SMS marketing regulations
- Call recording practices
- Privacy policies
- E-commerce terms and conditions
Notable Appellate Decisions
NEI Contracting & Eng'g Inc. v. Hanson Aggregates Pac. Sw., Inc., 926 F.3d 528 (9th Cir. 2019) – Appellate decision affirming complete trial victory and denial of certification in a CIPA class action.
Sabori v. Dollar Tree Stores, Inc., No. B284350 (Cal. Ct. App. Apr. 24, 2019) – Appellate decision affirming grant of summary judgment on invasion of privacy claim
Kayne v. Mense, B254975 (Cal. App. Mar. 25, 2016) – Appellate decision overturning trial court’s award of treble damages under California Penal Code section 496
Rosolowski v. People Media, B250482 (Cal. App. Oct. 29, 2014) – Appellate decision affirming dismissal of claim under California Anti-SPAM law.
- Law360, 09.20.2018
- "No Class Certification In Call Recording Case," Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, Summer 2014
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
- "The Tides are Turning on a Wave of California Privacy Litigation," March 8, 2023
- "More on McGill: Ninth Circuit Affirms Order Enforcing Arbitration of Public Injunctive Relief Claims," February 22, 2021
- "Avoiding Formation Challenges To Your Arbitration Clause With Consumers," July 20, 2020
"An Arbitration Clause Health Check," June 22, 2020
- "Ninth Circuit Confirms that Class Action Plaintiffs Must Plausibly Establish Future Intent To Re-Purchase To Maintain Claims for Injunctive Relief," September 12, 2018
- "Outlet And Factory Class Actions Take A Hit: California Court of Appeal Confirms Companies Can Sell Made-For-Outlet Product At Outlet Or Factory Stores," September 11, 2017
- "Ninth Circuit Confirms that a Cy Pres Only Settlement Can Work In Privacy Class Action" September 11, 2017
- "Class Action Plaintiffs In The Ninth Circuit Can No Longer Obtain Immediate Appellate Review Of Orders Denying Class Certification," June 13, 2017
- "Attacking Class Action Allegations On The Pleadings Can Be A Successful Strategy," March 29, 2016
- "In Sprint Victory, Judge Posner and the Seventh Circuit Hold That Arbitration Is Required in a TCPA Class Action Even Though the Alleged Violation Occurred After the Termination of the Contract," May 19, 2015
- "Another Blow to Call Recording Class Actions," December 2, 2014
- "Are Call Recording Class Actions Doomed?" February 27, 2014
Fashion & Apparel Law Blog
"Coronavirus And The Retail Industry: Delivery Issues," March 5, 2020
Healthcare Law Blog
- "Do Routine Calls by Health Plans to Patients and Health Plan Members Constitute “Telemarketing” Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act? Not Today!," January 19, 2017
Retail Law Blog
- "Legal Issues to Consider in a COVID-19 World," Virtual Reality Location-based Entertainment Summit, October 15, 2020.
- Webinar Series, 2023
- Class Action Threats in 2023 and Beyond - A Webinar Series, Webinar, 08.29.2023
- Webinar, 05.16.2023
- ASK A GC: Mike Mahoney, LL Bean, Webinar, 10.26.2021
- Webinar, 04.28.2021
- Webinar, 10.14.2020
- Webinar, 04.23.2020
- Webinar, 03.18.2020
J.D., The George Washington University School of Law, 2010
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2007, magna cum laude