- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2013
- B.A., Cinema-Television (Critical Studies), University of Southern California, 2007, magna cum laude
- B.A., University of Southern California, 2007, magna cum laude
- Prior to working at Sheppard Mullin, Mrs. Meyer worked for the Honorable Andrew J. Wistrich of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California as an extern in 2011.
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Abby Meyer is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group and the lead associate for the firm’s Food & Beverage team. She is also a member of the firm’s Construction, Healthcare, and Consumer Class Action teams.
Areas of Practice
Abby is a senior business litigation associate. Her practice focuses on business disputes, complex civil litigation, and consumer class action defense.
In coordination with a client’s business needs and preferences, Abby’s clients rely on her to set a course and follow through on litigation strategy. She handles cases in both state and federal court, and also in the arbitration context. She is involved with all aspects of case management, from case filing to trial, to appellate practice. She makes a point of learning her clients’ business, so that she can give appropriate business advice, as requested.
With Abby‘s assistance, her clients have reached favorable outcomes including favorable settlements and even dismissal of cases at the summary judgment phase.
Abby’s clients have included food and beverage companies, cosmetics companies, software companies and developers, energy companies, financial institutions, and a sports agency. Her clients have faced breach of contract, fraud, misrepresentation, construction defect, and lender liability claims. On the class action side, she has defended her clients against alleged violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law, Consumers Legal Remedies Act, and similar alleged violations of other states’ laws.
Abby is an active advocate of women and moms in the law. To that end, she co-chairs the OC Families group, which provides resources to the Orange County office’s parents and coordinates playdates for colleagues, clients, and their families. She serves as co-chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Mommy Esquire committee, organizing programming and events that support parents in the law. She served for several years as a director of the board for the Orange County Women Lawyers Association.
- Following scorched-earth litigation related to an easement and involving seven parties, drafted, argued and won summary adjudication of all claims against our client (Fortune 100 oil company), ending our client’s involvement in the matter.
- Represented beverage retailer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion for summary judgment.
- Represented specialty foods manufacturer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for a financial institute following a downtown Los Angeles jury trial in a wrongful foreclosure action.
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
- "Spate of Recent False Advertising Class Actions Take On Animal Treatment Label Claims," August 19, 2019
- "Lack of Standing Dooms Organizational Plaintiffs’ False Advertising Claims; Such a Challenge Can Be Brought at Any Time," August 5, 2019
- "Ninth Circuit Confirms Plaintiffs Are Not Required to Undermine Defendant’s Evidence to Withstand Summary Judgment in False Labeling Class Actions," January 14, 2019
- “'I’ll Be Back;' Ninth Circuit Gives Arnold Schwarzenegger-Branded Supplement Purchasers Another Shot to Pursue UCL, FAL, CLRA and Warranty Claims," October 18, 2018
- "Are credits coupons? The Ninth Circuit Says Yes in Calculating Total Value of Class Action Settlements," October 17, 2018
- "Ninth Circuit Confirms that Class Action Plaintiffs Must Plausibly Establish Future Intent To Re-Purchase To Maintain Claims for Injunctive Relief," June 26, 2018
- "Seventh Circuit Holds Footlong Settlement Falls Short," September 20, 2017
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & LambsLaw360, January 12, 2018
- Starbucks Wins Toss Of Underfilled Latte Class ActionLaw360, January 5, 2018
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Orange County Bar Association’s Mommy Esquire Committee
- Past Member of Board of Directors, Orange County Women Lawyers Association