Abby Meyer is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group and the lead associate for the firm’s Food & Beverage team. She is also a member of the firm’s Class Action Defense, Cannabis, and Healthcare teams.
Areas of Practice
Abby’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation, business disputes, and consumer class action defense. She has represented companies in the food and beverage industry, cosmetics/beauty/personal health industry, cannabis industry, software industry (companies and developers), the energy industry, the financial industry, and the entertainment/sports industry. Her clients have faced breach of contract, fraud, misrepresentation, construction defect, and lender liability claims. On the class action side, she has defended against alleged violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law, Consumers Legal Remedies Act, and similar alleged violations of other states’ laws.
Abby is involved with all aspects of case management, from case filing to trial, to appellate practice. She handles cases in both state and federal court, and also in the arbitration context. With Abby‘s assistance, her clients have reached favorable outcomes including favorable settlements and even dismissal of cases at the summary judgment phase.
To help her clients make the best strategy decisions (both during litigation and as part of litigation avoidance planning), Abby makes a point of learning her clients’ businesses and tracks litigation and enforcement trends affecting their industries. Her goal is to give legal advice that also helps her clients achieve their business objectives.
In addition to her legal practice, Abby is an advocate for women and parents. She co-chairs the firm’s OC Families group, which provides resources to the Orange County office’s parents and coordinates family-friendly events for colleagues, clients, and their families. She previously served as co-chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Mommy Esquire committee and served for several years as a director of the board for the Orange County Women Lawyers Association.
- Following scorched-earth litigation related to an easement and involving seven parties, drafted, argued and won summary adjudication of all claims against our client (Fortune 100 oil company), ending our client’s involvement in the matter.
- Represented beverage retailer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion for summary judgment.
- Represented specialty foods manufacturer in false advertising class action. Prevailed on motion to dismiss.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for a financial institute following a downtown Los Angeles jury trial in a wrongful foreclosure action.
Ones to Watch — Construction Law, Best Lawyers, 2021
Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- Happi, 08.03.2020
- Association of National Advertisers, 11.2019
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
"An Arbitration Clause Health Check," June 22, 2020
- "'Happy Cows' False Labeling Theory is Just 'Half Baked': Court Dismisses False Advertising Claims Against Ben & Jerry’s," May 12, 2020
- "CBD Industry Beware: The False Labeling Class Action Has Arrived," September 30, 2019
- "Spate of Recent False Advertising Class Actions Take On Animal Treatment Label Claims," August 19, 2019
- "Lack of Standing Dooms Organizational Plaintiffs’ False Advertising Claims; Such a Challenge Can Be Brought at Any Time," August 5, 2019
- "Ninth Circuit Confirms Plaintiffs Are Not Required to Undermine Defendant’s Evidence to Withstand Summary Judgment in False Labeling Class Actions," January 14, 2019
- “'I’ll Be Back;' Ninth Circuit Gives Arnold Schwarzenegger-Branded Supplement Purchasers Another Shot to Pursue UCL, FAL, CLRA and Warranty Claims," October 18, 2018
- "Are credits coupons? The Ninth Circuit Says Yes in Calculating Total Value of Class Action Settlements," October 17, 2018
- "Ninth Circuit Confirms that Class Action Plaintiffs Must Plausibly Establish Future Intent To Re-Purchase To Maintain Claims for Injunctive Relief," June 26, 2018
- "Seventh Circuit Holds Footlong Settlement Falls Short," September 20, 2017
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & LambsLaw360, 01.12.2018
- Starbucks Wins Toss Of Underfilled Latte Class ActionLaw360, 01.05.2018
- Food Advertising, Labeling, and Litigation Conference: For the Food and Dietary Supplement IndustriesFDLI Virtual Event, September 22-24, 2020
Member, Orange County Bar Association
Co-Chair, Orange County Bar Association’s Mommy Esquire Committee
Past Member of Board of Directors, Orange County Women Lawyers Association
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2013
B.A., Cinema-Television (Critical Studies), University of Southern California, 2007, magna cum laude
B.A., University of Southern California, 2007, magna cum laude
- Prior to working at Sheppard Mullin, Mrs. Meyer worked for the Honorable Andrew J. Wistrich of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California as an extern in 2011.
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals