Babak Yousefzadeh is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Babak represents employers in a full range of employment law matters, with a focus on litigation and class actions. Babak also specializes in litigation avoidance counseling. His experience includes advising and litigation on matters involving all forms of discrimination, harassment, retaliation/whistleblower issues; breach of contract disputes; wrongful termination claims; wage and hour issues; independent contractor status; workplace investigations; discipline; grievance; workplace violence; Labor Code violations; and other statutory and contractual obligations. He is experienced with single plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, and class action proceedings, and practices in both state and federal bodies, in all applicable forums.
Babak is also experienced with defending employers at trial, arbitration and administrative hearings (such as before the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement), and has defended repeated claims against employers successfully, obtaining complete defense jury verdicts, arbitration awards, and administrative rulings. He also has successfully defended employee terminations at arbitration on behalf of unionized employers.
Babak frequently advises clients regarding various labor and employment issues, and assists companies with implementing proactive compliance strategies, gives harassment and discrimination prevention trainings, and drafts employment documents such as employment agreements, employee handbooks, and separation agreements and releases. He also advises unionized employers in the often technical space where traditional labor (collective bargaining agreements) intersect with state statutory employment matters.
Northern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2013-2017
Northern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013-2017
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "Additional Paid Leave for Some San Jose Employees Under the COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Ordinance," April 16, 2020
- "California Court of Appeal Addresses Unlimited Vacation Policies for the First Time in McPherson v. EF Intercultural Foundation, Inc." April 6, 2020
- "City of San Francisco to Provide Paid Sick Leave for Private Sector Workers Impacted by COVID-19," March 16, 2020
- "AB 51 – Arbitration Under Attack," October 23, 2019
- Webinar, 10.28.2020
- Spring 2019 Seminar Series, 05.09.2019
- Fall 2018 Seminar Series, 09.26.2018
- Spring 2018 Seminar Series, 04.17.2018
- Summer 2017
- Fall 2016 Seminar Series, 10.13.2016
- Spring 2015 Seminar Series, 05.19.2015
- Fall 2014 Seminar Series - San Francisco, 10.21.2014
- Hyatt Regency San Francisco, 09.13.2012
National President Emeritus of the Iranian American Bar Association, Feb. 2019-present
National President of the Iranian American Bar Association, 2014- Feb. 2019
Board of Directors, Iranian American Bar Association, Northern California Chapter, 2011-present
California Bar Association
San Francisco Bar Association
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 2010
J.D., University of San Francisco, School of Law, 2004, McAuliffe Honor Society, Senior Staff Editor of the USF Law Review, International & Comparative Law Focus with honors
B.A., University of California, Davis, 2000
- Extern to the Honorable Charles R. Breyer, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Districts
- Farsi (Persian)