- J.D., Loyola University Chicago, 1998
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois - Champaign, 1993
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
David Heisey is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Sheppard Mullin's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
David's practice is devoted to the representation of high-tech clients with extensive experience in patent portfolio development, patent infringement litigation and trademark prosecution and enforcement. He is also experienced in inter partes review proceedings, tech transfer and IP licensing. In addition, David regularly counsels clients regarding patent validity, infringement, freedom-to-operate and enforceability.
David is a registered patent attorney with extensive experience in a variety of technologies, including wireless communications, multimedia delivery, computer graphics, artificial intelligence, power electronics, financial services, clean energy applications, medical instruments, data compression and blockchain technologies. His clients include The Walt Disney Company, MasterCard International and San Diego Gas & Electric. Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, David was employed as a Patent Examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Number 3 ranked IPR attorney in the country representing Petitioners, Patexia IPR Intelligence Report, 2019
- David is an active speaker for TechAmerica and San Diego Inventor's Forum.
- David has served as a panelist for CrowdPitch events for Funding Universe.
- Member, TechAmerica
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association