Labor and Employment Law Update & Happy Hour Spring 2012 - Los Angeles
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP
333 South Hope Street, 47th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071
Speakers: Ronda Jamgotchian and Jason Kearnaghan
3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Cocktails & Hor d'oeuvres
5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Registration & Materials $25
It is almost impossible for busy employers to keep up with the myriad of ever-changing employment laws. So let us do the heavy lifting for you.
At our upcoming seminars, Sheppard Mullin labor and employment attorneys will discuss important developments in the law at both the state and federal level. We will explain how these new developments will affect the day-to-day decisions made by business owners, in-house counsel and human resource professionals. We will also address the current trends in employment litigation and how employers can protect themselves from liability in the workplace.
We will cover numerous topics, including but not limited to:
Wage & Hour
- Complying with the new Wage Theft Prevention Act of 2011
- Minimizing the increased risks associated with independent contractors
- Clarifying which of your workers are properly classified as exempt
- Meal and rest period update, pending a decision in Brinker
- Determining when you owe reporting time pay
Discrimination & Wrongful Termination
- The new and newly-expanded scope of characteristics protected by law
- New guidance from the courts on how to protect your company from wrongful termination claims
- Preventing violence in the workplace
- The new Supreme Court decision regarding the "ministerial" exception to employment discrimination
Leaves of Absence
- New pregnancy disability leave rights
- Clarifications to bone marrow and organ donation leave
- Individual liability for supervisors under the Family Medical Leave Act
Plus updates on:
- Arbitration agreements
- New rules about the use of credit reports during hiring
- NLRB developments
- And much more
As always, this seminar will be informative, interactive, and engaging. We would be delighted if you joined us for cocktails after the presentation. Our attorneys will stay to answer all of your important legal questions.
Questions? Contact Melissa Omphroy firstname.lastname@example.org or 415.774.2997.
For the latest updates on labor and employment law, please visit: http://www.laboremploymentlawblog.com.
This program has been approved for 2 (California) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is an HRCI Approved Provider (valid through December 2012).
This activity complies with standards for Minimum Continuing Legal Education prescribed by the California State Bar and is approved for 2.0 hours of MCLE credit. Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.