- J.D., Boston College Law School, 1979
- B.S., Northwestern University, 1976
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Seventh, and Eighth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
Gail Suchman is a partner in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
Gail has more than 30 years’ experience in all facets of environmental and energy law and policy, advising clients on transactions, litigation and regulatory matters. Her practice includes permitting and compliance, transactional due diligence, litigation and legislative matters. Gail is a leading practitioner on issues relating to climate change and carbon emissions. She works closely with real estate and industrial developers on traditional environmental and land use matters, as well as community outreach, sustainability and resilience.
Prior to private practice Gail had a long career in public service, including more than 10 years as an assistant attorney general in the Environmental Protection Bureau of the New York State Attorney General’s Office, and three years as regional director of the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. She has taught at Columbia Law School and Columbia’s School of International and Public Affairs, and is co-founder of the Urban Design Lab for Sustainable Development at Columbia’s Earth Institute.
Gail also served as senior environmental counsel for New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, representing communities in litigation and transactions involving solid waste management, energy, brownfields and environmental justice. In 2003, she was invited to South Africa to advise the government on legislative, regulatory and enforcement matters.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Top National Lawyer in Climate Change and Environmental Law, 2008-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law and Environmental Law, 2018-2019
- New York Metro Super Lawyer and Top Women Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2013-2019
- Department of Environmental Conservation’s Environmental Justice Advisory Group
- New York City Mayor’s Task Force on Energy Policy
- Senior Specialist, Fulbright Scholarship Board/Council for International Exchange of Scholars
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, Environmental Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Section, American Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Environmental Advocates of New York
- Board of Directors (Secretary), Green Light New York – Building Energy Exchange