Julien Blanquart is an International Trade associate in the Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade in the firm's Brussels and London offices.
Areas of Practice
Julien's practice focuses on compliance counseling, training and investigations in the areas of export controls, economic sanctions, anti-corruption (FCPA and Sapin II), customs, and foreign investment reviews (CFIUS).
Over the course of his education, Julien has acquired the legal skills and experience to assist the International Trade team in matters involving EU, U.S., and French law.
EU Competition and Regulatory
Julien advises clients on all aspects of European and French competition law, including mergers, cartels, abuse of dominance as well as State aid across all sectors and industries.
His experience in EU regulatory matters includes advising on sector-specific regulations, such as product liability, medical devices, telecommunications, motor vehicles and automotive components.
Julien also advises on a broad range of EU regulatory and compliance issues that affect market access and cross-border trade of products and services within the EU.
Julien’s recent work includes:
- Advised French car rental company on compliance with U.S. and EU sanctions on Iran.
- Advised Italian finance and insurance bank on compliance with U.S. sanctions on Iran, Sudan, and Russia
- Advised multinational engineering firm on pipeline project in joint venture with Russia
- Designed compliance measures for satellite communications company to provide services to ships entering territorial waters of sanctioned countries
CFIUS, Cross-Border Transactions and Due Diligence
- Advised French conglomerate on a €850 million strategic acquisition of a U.S. renewable energy company
Customs and Free Trade Agreements
- Resolved various country of origin, classification and valuation cases involving imports in the U.S., EU, and South America.
- Assisted food and beverage companies with Customs classifications and country of origin markings under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA)
- Advised several U.S. manufacturers on submitting comments on and requesting exemptions from the imposition of Section 301 tariffs on products and components from China
- Advised a French CAC 40 company in the design and implementation of its corruption risk mapping in response to a potential audit by the French anticorruption agency (AFA)
- Advised a Danish variety store chain on merger filing in France
- Advised a Japanese electronics company on an internal audit and strategy on leniency
- Advised a Dutch medical device company on French market entry strategy and the appropriate regulatory pathway
- Advised a French pharmaceutical laboratory on compliance with requirements affecting the launch of medical devices under Directive 93/42/EEC
- Advised a Canadian bike manufacturer on product liability issues affecting products sold in several Member States
- Assisted in the representation of an EU citizen challenging the EU Commission’s decision prohibiting a Member State from paying damages ordered under an arbitral award
- World Export Control Review, 11.2020
- Sheppard Mullin Brussels co-authored reports on the ex post evaluation of EU State aid rules for the European Commission
- Law360, 09.04.2019
- Law360, 02.09.2018
FCC Law Blog
- "UPDATE: National Security Meets Teenage Dance Battles: U.S. Increases Pressure on ByteDance Sale of TikTok," August 17, 2020
Global Trade Law Blog Posts
- "China Expands Technology Export Controls: Fighting back on TikTok and Putting Your R&D at Risk," September 2, 2020
- "UPDATED: China Trade War Scorecard: Keeping Track of Tariffs," January 16, 2020
- "A Chinese Export License to Get a Smart Phone? Tech-Tonic Changes in World Export Controls," August 19, 2019
- "China Trade War Scorecard: Keeping Track of Tariffs," August 19, 2019
- "INTERNATIONAL TECH INVESTMENT ISSUE – Investments With Borders: CFIUS-Style Foreign Investment Review Goes Global," April 10, 2019
- "The Great Wall Against China: Washington’s Barriers to a Wave of Capital from the Far East," April 12, 2018
- "CFIUS for Europe? New Screening of Foreign Direct Investments in Europe," December 12, 2017
- "Lurches, Leaps, Feints, and Flops: Movements Without Motion in Russian Sanctions Policy," February 8, 2017
- "Today, President Trump Decertified the Iran Deal and Announced Tougher Sanctions on Iran," October 13, 2017
- "Growing Pains for Expanding Tech Companies: Uber Investigated for FCPA Violations," September 14, 2017
- "Section 301: The Trade Law You May Not Know Well that Could Shock Industries," August 17, 2017
- "One Year From Now, You May Be Out of Iran: Trump Administration Policy and the Timeline for Snapback," August 1, 2017
- "In the Chaos of (Trade) War, Where Does Your Company Find Peace?" August 1, 2017
Young Lawyers Division, International Section, American Bar Association
- Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade
- International Reach
- White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations
- Antitrust and Competition
LL.M, Widener University Delaware Law School, 2017
LL.M., Lille Catholic University Law School, 2017
LL.B, Lille Catholic University Law School, 2015
- Brussels (E List)