French Insider Podcast Episode 13: Additional Sanctions Against Russia: What Businesses Need to Know
For this episode of French Insider, Reid Whitten joins host Julien Banquart to discuss the impact of sanctions imposed against Russia in the wake of the Ukraine invasion. Topics addressed include the current and potential impacts of the sanction regime on companies doing business in or with Russia and Ukraine (including French multinationals), factors businesses should bear in mind as sanctions are announced and implemented, and whether or not the sanctions will be effective against Russia.
Reid Whitten is the Managing Partner of Sheppard Mullin's London office, practicing in international trade regulations and investigations. He also shares his time serving clients out of the Washington, D.C. office and is the Leader of the firm's CFIUS Team. In the areas of economic sanctions, export and defense exports, CFIUS, anti-corruption, and tariffs, Reid supports clients in detecting and addressing potential compliance issues, conducting investigations, and defending against enforcement actions. He also advises on U.S. anti-dumping, anti-money laundering, and anti-boycott regulations.
Julien Blanquart is an International Trade associate in the Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group in Sheppard Mullin's Brussels and London offices. His practice focuses on compliance counseling, training, and investigations in the areas of export controls, economic sanctions, anti-corruption (FCPA and Sapin II), customs, and foreign investment reviews (CFIUS). Julien advises clients on all aspects of European and French competition law, including mergers, cartels, abuse of dominance, as well as State aid across all sectors and industries.
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the show to receive every new episode delivered straight to your podcast player every week.
If you enjoyed this episode, please help us get the word out about this podcast. You can listen in Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Google Podcasts, Stitcher Radio or Spotify. It helps other listeners find this show.
What We Discussed in This Episode:
- What are some specific sanctions enacted since the beginning of the Russia-Ukraine conflict?
- How have those sanctions impacted the firm's clients doing business in Russia and Ukraine?
- What should companies with business ties to Russia or Ukraine bear in mind as sanctions are being discussed and implemented?
- Which specific industries have been particularly impacted by the sanctions?
- Have any restrictions been enacted on trade with Ukraine?
- Is there any specificity businesses should keep in mind regarding the individual sets of sanctions enacted by the U.S., U.K., and E.U.?
- Other than expanding the war, what options does Russia have to retaliate or counter the sanctions?
- Could cryptocurrency allow individuals or entities to evade sanctions against Russia?
- What makes sanctions effective? Will the current sanctions actually be effective against Russia?
Co-Chair: Valérie Demont
Co-Chair: Christine Hoefliger Hourcade
This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice specific to your circumstances. If you need help with any legal matter, be sure to consult with an attorney regarding your specific needs