Valérie Demont is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's New York Office and is a leader of the firm's French Desk Team.
Areas of Practice
Valérie focuses her practice primarily on U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and securities offerings and corporate governance matters.
She has been involved in numerous mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and dispositions for corporations and private equity funds in the U.S., Europe and Asia (including India).
In addition, Valerie routinely advises foreign companies with the establishment and growth of their operations in the United States, acting as de facto "outside general counsel" for non-US companies in the United States.
Valérie is a frequent speaker at events focused on cross-border trade and has written or contributed to several publications.
Ms. Demont has represented:
- an NYSE listed global creative platform in its acquisition of an internet software and services company
- a French consulting services company with several acquisitions of consulting firms in the United States
- a French investment company in its acquisition of hospitality-focused architecture firms based in California
- Europe's leading multichannel fulfillment provider in its acquisition of a provider of direct-to-consumer and order fulfillment services in the United States
- a NASDAQ-listed BPO and data analytics company with its acquisition of a global technology + consulting and services leader
- a French manufacturer of expert solutions for low voltage power and energy performance in its acquisition of a manufacturer of bolted pressure contact switches and of a manufacturer of power transformers
- a NASDAQ-listed insurance technology company in its sale to a private equity fund
- a French private equity fund in its acquisition of three bioanalytical laboratory companies and businesses
- a NASDAQ-listed BPO and data analytics company in its acquisition of a healthcare data analytics company
- a NASDAQ-listed insurance technology company in its acquisition of a publicly-traded policy administration software company
- a US insurance technology company in its acquisition of an InsurTech product company
- an NYSE-listed global creative platform in its acquisition of an industry leader in the creation, optimization, publishing and monetization of 3D models resulting in the creation of the world's largest 3D marketplace
- a French publicly-traded energy group in its acquisition of an energy distribution business in the U.S.
- a U.S. publicly-traded IT services company in its sale to a French publicly-traded IT services company
- a French bank with the $500 million sale of its equity interests in a U.S. publicly traded company
- a private equity fund with an acquisition and a separate joint venture in the trucking and transportation logistics company
- a private equity fund with its acquisition of a cutting tool business in Canada and the U.S.
- a private equity fund in connection with multiple acquisitions in the fastener industry
- a private equity fund with its acquisition of a leading home fashion supplier
- an Indian IT services company with its acquisition of a cloud-based consulting business
- the owners of schools focused on special education needs with the sale of the business to a private equity fund
- an Indian publicly traded IT company with several U.S. acquisitions of IT services providers for the insurance industry
- a U.S. publicly traded India-based BPO company with several U.S. acquisitions of IT services providers
- a leading global provider of business information solutions to law firms, corporations and government with its acquisition of a leading Indian publisher
- a French publicly-traded group In an acquisition of a U.S. technology engineering firm with India operations
- a French publicly-traded group in an acquisition of a U.S. integration firm
- a French software company in an acquisition of a Canadian software company with U.S. operations
- a French medical imaging software company in connection with the establishment of its U.S. operations
- a French medical equipment rental company in connection with the establishment of its U.S. operations
- a French technology company with its sale to a French publicly traded media and technology company
Top 100 India-focused Global Lawyers, India Business Law Journal, 2019-2022
French Desk Blog Posts
- "Foreign-owned companies operating in the United States must file a 5 year survey with the U.S. Department of Commerce by May 31, 2023 (for paper filings) and June 30, 2023 (for electronic filings)," May 3, 2023
- "COVID-19–The 30-Day Mark – A Discussion by Companies on Navigating the New Reality," April 23, 2020
- "Paycheck Protection Program Loan Applications are Opening Today – Eligibility for Small US Businesses Owned by Foreign Companies," April 3, 2020
- "Opening a U.S. Bank Account Can be Much More Onerous than you Think and Can Delay Your Cross-Border Transaction or Growth Plans in the U.S.," July 13, 2018
- "Foreign Investors in the US are required to declare their investments to the Bureau of Economics and Analysis of the U.S. Department of Commerce," June 26, 2018
- French Morning, 04.15.2020
- Global Legal Chronicle, 02.24.2020
- Law360, 05.07.2018
- Sheppard Mullin Adds Partners To Corporate PracticeLaw360, 08.15.2017
- Webinar, 06.30.2020
- The CARES Act and U.S. Subsidiaries of Foreign-based Parents – Eligibility Criteria and Other PitfallsWebinar, 04.16.2020
- COVID-19 – The 30-Day Mark – How Companies Are Navigating the New Reality, Hear From Three Business LeadersWebinar, 04.14.2020
- FACC-NY Webinar: CoVid-19 Stimulus Series #3, 04.08.2020
- Managing the Impact of COVID-19 on Your Business in the United StatesBusiness France Webinar, 03.26.2020
Girls Who Invest: Ms. Demont is outside pro bono counsel of Girls Who Invest, a nonprofit organization dedicated to increase the number of women in portfolio management and executive leadership in the asset management industry.
Sing for Hope: Ms. Demont is also outside pro bono counsel, former member of the board of directors and former chair of the finance committee of Sing for Hope, a nonprofit organization that mobilizes professional artists in volunteer service programs for schools, hospitals and communities.
New York City Bar: Ms. Demont is the former chair of the subcommittee on Best Practices for Women Attorneys of the New York City Bar and is the co-author of the New York City Bar’s report on “Best Practices for the Hiring, Training, Retention and Advancement of Women Attorneys” issued in February 2006.
Columbia University School of Law: Ms. Demont is a former adjunct professor at Columbia University School of Law where she taught a seminar on cross-border transactions focused on doing business in India.
- French Insider Podcast Episode 26: Setting up Business in the U.S. with Valère Horath and Valerie Demont [Replay]
- French Insider Episode 24: From Seed to Success: A French Start-Up’s Guide to Launching in the U.S. with Caroline Faucher-Winter
- French Insider Episode 22: French Investments in the U.S. Wine Industry with Jean Hoefliger of JH Wine Consulting [Replay]
- French Insider Episode 20: Growing Your Business in America: The Story of Qobuz and Its Growth in Music Streaming with Dan Mackta
- French Insider Podcast Episode 19: Growing Your Business in the US and Canada: The Story of Maman and the Power of Social Media [Replay]
- French Insider Episode 18: Debriefing the Results of the Brazilian Election and its Effect on Multinational Business with Fernando Zanotti Schneider of Abe Advogados
- French Insider Episode 17: The Ins and Outs of International Production and Entertainment with Tim Stephen
- French Insider Podcast Episode 16: Growing Your Business in the US and Canada: The Story of Maman and the Power of Social Media
- French Insider Podcast Episode 15: Villa Albertine and the French Embassy’s Role In Helping Artists Come to America
- French Insider Podcast Episode 13: Additional Sanctions Against Russia: What Businesses Need to Know
- French Insider Podcast Episode 11: Setting up Business in the U.S. with Valère Horath and Valerie Demont
- French Insider Podcast Episode 10: Buy America Provisions in the Infrastructure Bill: What this Means for Foreign Companies with David Gallacher
- French Insider Podcast Episode 9: What Foreign Energy Companies Need to Know about the $1.2 Trillion Infrastructure Bill
- French Insider Podcast Episode 8: Tips for French Individuals Relocating to the US: Dos & Don’ts, Hiring, and Adjusting to Cultural Differences with Romain Poirot
- French Insider Podcast Episode 7: What Businesses Need to Know about the US and Canadian Workforces: HR, Return to Office, and Cultural Differences with Wendy Alderdice
- French Insider Podcast Episode 6: How European State Aid Impacts French Subsidiaries of U.S. Companies with Jacques Derenne
- French Insider Podcast Episode 5: Understanding a Company’s Sales and Use Tax Liabilities in the U.S. with Justin Hepworth
- French Insider Podcast Episode 4: Time Management, Customer Service, and Negotiations as a French Business in the U.S. with Aurélie Bessière
- French Insider Podcast Episode 3: How French Companies Can Prepare to Do Business in the U.S. with Paula Clozel
- French Insider Podcast Episode 2: Business Immigration Challenges Companies Should Know About in 2021 with Julie Myers Wood
- French Insider Podcast Episode 1: What Businesses Should Know About International Trade Policies Under the New Administration with Reid Whitten
- The CARES Act and U.S. Subsidiaries of Foreign-based Parents – Eligibility Criteria and Other Pitfalls
- COVID-19 – The 30-Day Mark – How Companies Are Navigating the New Reality, Hear From Three Business Leaders
LL.M., Columbia Law School, 1995
LL.M., University of Paris II - Pantheon-Assas, 1994
LL.B., University of Rennes, 1991
- New York