- LL.M., Columbia Law School, 1995
- LL.M., University of Paris II - Pantheon-Assas, 1994
- LL.B., University of Rennes, 1991
- New York
Valérie Demont is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's New York Office
Areas of Practice
Ms. Demont focuses her practice primarily on U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and securities offerings and corporate governance matters.
She has been involved in numerous mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and dispositions for corporations and private equity funds in the U.S., Europe and Asia (including India). In particular, she routinely advises foreign companies with the establishment and growth of their operations in the United States.
Ms. Demont also represents U.S. and non-U.S. issuers and underwriters in a wide range of primary and secondary capital markets and securities offering financing transactions involving equity, debt, convertible and hybrid securities. These transactions include IPOs, private placements and offshore securities offerings and the establishment of American Depositary Receipt (ADR) programs.
She handles complex securities and financing transactions, including debt restructurings, exchange offers, debt tender offers and consent solicitations.
In addition, Ms. Demont regularly advises companies on their reporting obligations under U.S. securities laws as well as corporate governance and other compliance obligations under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and stock exchange regulations.
Ms. Demont is a frequent speaker at events focused on cross-border trade and has written or contributed to several publications.
Ms. Demont has represented:
- A French publicly-traded energy group in its acquisition of an energy distribution business in the U.S.
- a U.S. publicly-traded IT services company in its sale to a French publicly-traded IT services company
- a French bank with the $500 million sale of its equity interests in a U.S. publicly traded company
- a private equity fund with an acquisition and a separate joint venture in the trucking and transportation logistics company
- a private equity fund with its acquisition of a cutting tool business in Canada and the U.S.
- a private equity fund in connection with multiple acquisitions in the fastener industry
- a private equity fund with its acquisition of a leading home fashion supplier
- an Indian IT services company with its acquisition of a cloud-based consulting business
- the owners of schools focused on special education needs with the sale of the business to a private equity fund
- an Indian publicly traded IT company with several U.S. acquisitions of IT services providers for the insurance industry
- a U.S. publicly traded India-based BPO company with several U.S. acquisitions of IT services providers
- a leading global provider of business information solutions to law firms, corporations and government with its acquisition of a leading Indian publisher
- a French publicly-traded group In an acquisition of a U.S. technology engineering firm with India operations
- a French publicly-traded group in an acquisition of a U.S. integration firm
- a French radiopharmaceuticals company in an acquisition of a network of specialized pharmacies in the U.S.
- a French consulting firm in an acquisition of a UK consulting firm with U.S. operations
- a French software company in an acquisition of a Canadian software company with U.S. operations
- a French medical imaging software company in connection with the establishment of its U.S. operations
- a French medical equipment rental company in connection with the establishment of its U.S. operations
- a French technology company with its sale to a French publicly traded media and technology company
- a leading construction materials supplier and heavy highway contractor, in the $250 million Rule 144A offering of its high yield debt securities
- a New York-based bank with its IPO and listing on NASDAQ
- the owner and operator of casino resorts in Las Vegas and Macau with its $700 million IPO and listing on the NYSE
- an India-based business process outsourcing company with its IPO in the United States and listing on NASDAQ
- a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company in the offering of its convertible debt securities and securities reporting obligations
- a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company in the restructuring of its convertible debt securities
- a publicly traded REIT in connection with a $300 million bridge financing facility and public offerings of common stock and preferred stock to finance an acquisition
- a publicly traded REIT in connection with several common share, preferred share, ATM program and debt securities offerings
- a publicly traded fiber network provider with its $1.2 billion merger with another publicly traded company
- a publicly traded insurance company with its merger with another publicly traded company
- a publicly traded telecommunications company with its $320 million acquisition of a publicly traded telecommunications company
- a publicly traded manufacturer of hardboard with its sale to another publicly traded company through a tender offer process
- a large publicly traded Indian media company with its joint venture with a U.S. media company
- a publicly traded producer of specialty minerals with its $250 million shelf debt offering
- an NYSE-listed owner and operator of casino resorts in Las Vegas and Macau with the $850 million Rule 144A offering of its high yield secured debt securities and tender offer for its existing bonds
- an owner and operator of a Macau casino resort with the $120 million Regulation S offering of its secured mortgage debt securities to Asian investors to finance the construction of the resort in Macau
- the leading North American producer and processor of multifilament polyester and nylon yarns with the $190 million Rule 144A offering of its high yield senior secured notes to refinance existing debt and related tender offer for its outstanding notes
- one of the largest providers of check products with the $175 million Rule 144A offering of its high yield debt securities to finance its acquisition
- a leading producer of metal additives with the $117.5 million Rule 144A offering of its high yield secured debt securities
- bondholders with a $650 million issue of convertible senior secured debt securities by a telecommunications company
- a Canadian public mining company with its $1 billion and $500 million registered offerings of investment grade debt securities under the MJDS regime
- a Japanese corporation with the establishment of its ADR program
- a UK public company with the establishment of its ADR program
- a NYSE-listed insurance company with its $1 billion offering of hybrid debt securities and $800 million offering of senior notes
- the leading producer of polyurethane foam-based products with its debt restructuring and recapitalization
- a private equity fund with the recapitalization of a leading sports goods manufacturer.
- Law360, May 7, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Adds Partners To Corporate PracticeLaw360, August 15, 2017
- Girls Who Invest: Ms. Demont is outside pro bono counsel of Girls Who Invest, a nonprofit organization dedicated to increase the number of women in portfolio management and executive leadership in the asset management industry.
- Sing for Hope: Ms. Demont is also outside pro bono counsel, former member of the board of directors and former chair of the finance committee of Sing for Hope, a nonprofit organization that mobilizes professional artists in volunteer service programs for schools, hospitals and communities.
- New York City Bar: Ms. Demont is the former chair of the subcommittee on Best Practices for Women Attorneys of the New York City Bar and is the co-author of the New York City Bar’s report on “Best Practices for the Hiring, Training, Retention and Advancement of Women Attorneys” issued in February 2006.
- Columbia University School of Law: Ms. Demont is an adjunct professor at Columbia University School of Law where she teaches a seminar on cross-border transactions focused on doing business in India.