Karl Buhler is an associate in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group and French Desk in the firm's New York Office.
Areas of Practice
Karl focuses his practice on domestic and cross-border transactions. He handles in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and complex commercial agreements in industries such as technology, communications, life sciences, energy, defense and aerospace. In particular, he advises foreign companies with the installation and development of their operations in the United States.
Karl was born and educated in France. He began his legal career in China, practicing corporate law in both Beijing and Hong Kong with a focus on mergers, acquisitions, and project finance in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Karl then relocated to Paris, where he continued to focus on corporate transactions, but also expanded his expertise to international arbitrations and litigations arising from contracts and transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint venture, and infrastructure agreements.
Karl moved to New York to further build his corporate experience in cross-border transactions and disputes at a U.S.-based firm where he worked closely with French companies implanted in the U.S.
Mr. Buhler has represented:
- A U.S. defense-focused private equity fund with several acquisitions of in the U.S.
- Europe's leading multichannel fulfillment provider in its acquisition of a provider of direct-to-consumer and order fulfillment services in the U.S.
- A French publicly-traded energy group in its acquisition of an energy distribution business in the U.S.
- A French publicly-traded company in its acquisition of hospitality-focused architecture firms based in California and Florida
- A French weapons manufacturer against an African state in connection with a defense contract
- A French food manufacturer in connection with the restructuring of its assets
- A French publicly-traded telecommunications company against a U.S. technology company in connection with a license agreement
- A French software company in connection with the establishment of its U.S. operations
- A French technology company in connection with the establishment of its U.S. and South American operations
- A French consulting services company with several acquisitions of consulting firms in the U.S.
- A French publicly-traded industrial equipment company in connection with the acquisition of a Chinese technology company
- A California winery in its sale to a French leading luxury brand
- A Chinese bank in connection with the financing and acquisition of an African mining company
- A Chinese distribution company against a leading French manufacturer in connection with a distribution agreement
- An Indian software company in its acquisition of a U.S.-based technology firm with operations in Singapore and the U.K.
- State Bar of Texas Section Report of the Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law, 09.03.2020
Corporate and Securities Law Blog Posts
French Desk Law Blog
- "NIE’s Now Good for 1 Year, More on Navigating the Travel Ban Jungle: National Interest Exception Checklist for the U.S. COVID Travel Bans," July 20, 2021
- "Navigating the Travel Ban Jungle: National Interest Exception Checklist for the U.S. COVID Travel Bans," July 1, 2021
- "The U.S. economic recovery plan: benefits, limits and risks for French companies in the United States," May 15, 2020
- "The U.S. Coronavirus Inbound Travel Ban Has Been Expanded to Flights from the U.K., Ireland, and Schengen countries, in Addition to the Previous Ban from China and Iran," March 16, 2020
- "Hiring Personnel in New York: Dos and Don’ts – Part 2," November 5, 2018
- "Hiring Personnel in New York: Dos and Don’ts – Part 1," September 27, 2018
- "Opening a U.S. Bank Account Can be Much More Onerous than you Think and Can Delay Your Cross-Border Transaction or Growth Plans in the U.S." June 27, 2018
- "Foreign Investors in the US are required to declare their investments to the Bureau of Economics and Analysis of the U.S. Department of Commerce," June 26, 2018
Venture Law Blog Posts
LL.M., Fordham University School of Law, 2017
LL.M., Montpellier Law School, 2013
J.D., Montpellier Law School, 2012
- New York
- Paris (not yet admitted)