Kate Rumsey is special counsel in the Governmental Practice in the firm's Dallas office. Kate is a former federal prosecutor and experienced trial lawyer and litigator.
Areas of Practice
As the daughter of a pharmacist and small business owner, Kate understands how a government investigation can impact a business as well as emotionally impact business owners. Kate uses that understanding of the healthcare industry as well as her experience as a federal prosecutor to help clients navigate high-stakes investigations and litigation.
As a federal prosecutor, Kate was responsible for investigating fraud, public corruption, cyber threats, identity theft, and overprescribing opioids. She started her prosecutorial career on the DOJ’s health care strike force team and therefore has specific experience in health care fraud and parallel investigations. Kate has worked with many federal and local agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Defense, Department of Agriculture, Department of State, and Secret Service, among many others. For her work as a prosecutor, Kate has received several awards, including a Special Commendation from the U.S. Attorney General.
Prior to being a prosecutor, Kate served as a federal law clerk to Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn in the Northern District of Texas and was a senior associate in the litigation and white collar groups of a global law firm.
Kate has also served as a JAG officer in the U.S. Air Force Reserves, where she has participated in courts martial and contested discharge boards. She won an award for public speaking while at Officer Training School and was named JAG reservist of the year in the Second Air Force.
Between private and government practice, Kate has successfully tried numerous cases to a jury and has extensive first-chair trial experience. Kate has also regularly handled matters on appeal and has therefore litigated and argued before several federal appellate courts.
Prior White Collar Experience
- Represented senior executive of medical device company in an alleged $400 million criminal accounting fraud case brought in the US District Court for the Western District of Texas.
- Represented worldwide medical dialysis company in connection with an FCPA investigation, including conducting internal investigations in Brazil and Germany; advising on improvements to its compliance program; coordinating legal advice in more than 50 countries; and editing compliance documents for its worldwide centers.
- Successfully represented a global auto-parts manufacturer in connection with price-fixing allegations. Conducted an internal investigation and avoided U.S. prosecution.
- Represented hedge fund before the SEC during off-channel communication sweep.
- DOJ Announces Mergers & Acquisitions Safe Harbor PolicyConcurrences, 10.04.2023
- Law360, 09.13.2023
- Law360, 06.28.2023
- Law360, 12.05.2022
- SEC Shifts Focus on Employees’ Off-Channel Business Communications to Investment AdvisersThe Texas Lawbook, 11.22.2022
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "DOJ Announces Mergers & Acquisitions Safe Harbor Policy," October 11, 2023
Government Contracts & Investigations Blog Posts
- "SEC Off-Channel Communications Sweep," May 24, 2023
- "Corporate Voluntary Self-Disclosure (VSD) of Criminal Activity: More of the Same or a Real Sea Change?," February 23, 2023
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Supreme Court Clarifies that Subjective (Not Objective) Knowledge of Falsity of Claim Dictates False Claims Act Liability," June 2, 2023
White Collar & Government Enforcement Blog Posts
- "Increased Enforcement in Healthcare? DOJ to Add More Prosecutors," November 9, 2023
- "Good News for White Collar Defendants and Their Lawyers – Recent Changes to the Sentencing Guidelines," October 31, 2023
- Law360, 06.16.2023
- Speaker, “White Collar Criminal Defense Overview,” State Bar of Texas Paralegal Division, September 27, 2023
- Speaker, “A Potpourri of the Latest & Greatest in the White Collar World,” State Bar of Texas Paralegal Division, September 27, 2023
J.D., New York University, 2008
B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, 2005
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn, the Northern District of Texas
- New York
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit