Kate Rumsey is special counsel in the Governmental Practice in the firm's Dallas office. Kate is a former federal prosecutor and experienced trial lawyer.
Areas of Practice
Kate served as a federal law clerk to Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn in the Northern District of Texas and was a senior associate in the white collar group of a global law firm. She then served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division, and Western District of Virginia, Charlottesville Division. She started her prosecutorial career on the DOJ’s health care strike force team and therefore has specific experience in health care fraud and parallel investigations. As an award winning federal prosecutor, Kate was responsible for investigating fraud, public corruption, cyber threats, identity theft, and opioid violations. Kate has worked with many federal and local agencies, including FBI, DEA, ATF, HHS, FDA, ICE, IRS, OSHA, EPA, Department of Defense, Department of Agriculture, Department of State, and Secret Service, among others. Kate has also served as a JAG officer in the U.S. Air Force, where she has participated in courts martial and contested discharge boards.
Between private and government practice, Kate has successfully tried numerous cases to a jury and has extensive first-chair trial experience. Kate has also regularly handled matters on appeal and has therefore litigated and argued before several federal appellate courts.
- SEC Shifts Focus on Employees’ Off-Channel Business Communications to Investment AdvisersThe Texas Lawbook, 11.22.2022
J.D., New York University, 2008
B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, 2005
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn, the Northern District of Texas
- New York
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit