Laura Chapman is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Laura has extensive experience obtaining and enforcing intellectual property rights and defending against claims of infringement. She advises clients on the legal aspects of brand selection, drawing on her experience as a seasoned litigator. Laura obtains trademark registrations, manages worldwide trademark portfolios, handles disputes at the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, coordinates with international counsel on disputes world-wide, and manages pre-litigation disputes over trademark and copyright use and infringement. Laura has significant experience bringing and defending lawsuits for trademark infringement, trade dress infringement, false advertising, copyright infringement and design patent infringement in federal courts across the United States, through trial and appeal. She is lead counsel on numerous cases pending in different district courts throughout the U.S. Her recent work includes:
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of our client on issues of copyright validity and infringement. ACT, Inc. v. Worldwide Interactive Network, Inc., et al., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Case No. 3:18-cv-00186-TRM-HBG
- Successfully obtained a preliminary injunction prohibiting the client’s competitor from selling its infringing, competing product. ACT, Inc. v. Worldwide Interactive Network, Inc., et al., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Case No. 3:18-cv-00186-TRM-HBG
- After being obtained as new counsel mid-way through a case, successfully vacated a preliminary injunction order prohibiting a client from using its own trademark and a summary judgment order that required the client to pay damages to its competitor; then successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of the client, prohibiting the client’s competitor from using the trademarks. La Michoacana Natural, LLC v. Luis Maestre, et al., United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, Case No. 3:17-cv-00727-RJC-DCK
Won a significant trade dress case at the International Trade Commission (“ITC”) for a large, national retailer. In that case, Converse, Inc. sought unsuccessfully to monopolize the canvas, cap-toe sneaker market and prohibit all imports of a classic style of footwear. Defeated the claims after a one-week trial at the ITC in August of 2015. In the Matter of: Certain Footwear Products, investigation number 337-TA-936, decision dated June 23, 2016.
- Won a trademark case for a California-based, Mexican-style ice cream company after a three week trial, securing an injunction against the defendant-infringers that prohibits them from using works and logos that have been used in Mexico since the 1940s, paving the way for our client to expand its business in the U.S. Paleteria La Michoacana. Inc. v. Productos Lacteos Tocumbo S.A de C.V, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Case No. 1:11-cv-01623-RC, decision dated May 27, 2016.
- Obtained summary judgment on a significant false advertising case.
- Successful defense of an international retailer and twelve suppliers in a case alleging trademark infringement in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California that settled on favorable terms several days before trial in January of 2012.
- Successfully made an emergency motion to stay a preliminary injunction issued by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California one day after the court granted the injunction pending appeal the day after the submission of the emergency motion, permitting sales of the subject product to continue the week before Christmas. The case settled two weeks later on favorable terms.
Leading Lawyer, Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets – California, Chambers USA, 2022-2023
Leading Trademark Practitioner - Trademark Enforcement and Litigation, California, WTR 1000, 2022-2023
Intellectual Property, Trademark Litigation, Legal 500, 2017-2019
Top Intellectual Property Lawyer, Daily Journal, 2017-2018
- "Copyrights on the Gray Market," Law360, August 2, 2012
Art Law Blog Posts
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "Ninth Circuit Retires Fee-Award Standard, Imports Octane Fitness to Trademark Cases," November 3, 2016
- Daily Journal, 10.18.2023
- Law360, 08.23.2022
- May 18-22, 2019
Member, State Bar of California
J.D., University of Southern California, 1993
B.A., Smith College, 1986
- Northern District of California
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Southern District of California
- U.S. Court for the Ninth Circuit