- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- International Reach
- Government Contracts,
- J.D., University of Virginia, 2005
- B.A., Claremont McKenna College, 2000, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Matthew Sonne is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office. In addition to being one of the state’s leading authorities in defending employers against Private Attorneys General Act (“PAGA”) actions, he is an accomplished litigator and trial attorney. Matthew is also fluent in Spanish and frequently advises employers on Spanish-speaking workforce issues in addition to the below areas of expertise.
Areas of Practice
Matthew concentrates his practice on labor and employment law representing employers. He litigates in multiple areas of employment law and defends against individual and class action lawsuits alleging violations of wage and hour laws, discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, breach of contract, labor code section 132a claims, and other related matters. Matthew represents employers in state and federal courts, as well as before the DLSE, EDD, and other administrative bodies. He also advises employers on handbook preparation, employment contracts and applications, and personnel policies. Matthew also has experience with the National Labor Relations Board and has represented employers in related investigations. He has experience in civil appeal practice, including briefing and oral argument before the California Court of Appeal and briefing to the California Supreme Court. Matthew was recently elected to the Executive Board of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers (“ABTL”) and currently serves as Secretary of the Board.
(For more information about Matthew's experience, including his published articles, court decisions, and speeches, please click on the appropriate boxes above).
- Labor and Employment, Legal 500, 2015
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2009-2016
Corder v. Houston's Restaurants, Inc., 424 F. Supp. 2d 1205 (C.D. Cal. 2006) (held meal and rest periods violations were penalties subject to a one-year, rather than a four-year, statute of limitations).
Successfully defended a national clothing retailer in a jury trial before Orange County Superior Court. The Plaintiff alleged wrongful termination and retaliation in violation of public policy. Won a complete defense verdict.
Achieved what may be the first trial court ruling in California enforcing a class action waiver after the California Supreme Court's Gentry decision made such waivers difficult to enforce.
Defeated class certification for a retail service company on all counts in a wage and hour class action before the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
- Daily Journal, February 21, 2018
- Orange County Business Journal, August 18, 2014
- ABTL Report, Summer 2014
- Mr. Sonne is a member of the Editorial Board of the California Labor & Employment Alert (Castle Publications Ltd.)
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "U.S. Supreme Court Requires Litigants To Prove "But-For Causation" In Workplace Retaliation Lawsuits," June 27, 2013
- "Title VII's Anti-Retaliation Provisions Protect Employee's Answers To Sexual Harassment Investigator's Questions," February 3, 2009
- "Case Reminds California Employers That Handbook Language Cannot Compensate For A Missing Signature On An Employment Arbitration Agreement," December 21, 2007
- "Ninth Circuit Recognizes Claim for Reverse Religious Discrimination and Highlights Pitfall of 'Consensus of Management' Employment Actions," May 30, 2007
- Society for Human Resource Management, June 22, 2018
- Case to Watch: California Supreme Court weighs employment arbitrationThomson Reuters, June 11, 2013
- Defense Wants More Class-y PAGA SuitsThe Recorder, August 15, 2007
- Mr. Sonne was the keynote speaker on "Case Law Updates" at the Employers Group's Workplace and Employment Law Update in Orange County.
- Mr. Sonne lectured managers and owners in the food service/restaurant industry in a presentation entitled "Wage & Hour Crisis In The Food Service Industry."
- Mr. Sonne was a presenter at a recent "Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer" series.
- Mr. Sonne delivered a lecture in Spanish to managers at a major construction and design firm in southern California entitled "How to Prevent Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation in the Workplace."
- Mr. Sonne lectures for Castle Publications, Ltd. on Wage and Hour Laws.
- Mr. Sonne has presented lectures for employer's organizations such as Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA).
- Mr. Sonne frequently conducts seminars in sexual harassment prevention/training to supervisors and employees, in both English and Spanish. He also lectures at corporate retreats and annual meetings on employment law issues.
- Summer 2019
- Spring 2019 Seminar SeriesApril 24, 2019
- Winter 2019
- Fall 2018 Seminar SeriesOctober 24, 2018
- Summer 2018
- Spring 2018 Seminar SeriesApril 18, 2018
- Winter 2018
- Newport Beach, January 25, 2018
- Fall 2017 Seminar SeriesOctober 17, 2017
- Summer 2017
- Orange County Bar AssociationRadisson Hotel, Newport Beach, August 14, 2017
- Spring 2017 Seminar SeriesApril 27, 2017
- Winter 2017
- Fall 2016 Seminar SeriesOctober 26, 2016
- Castle Publications, Ltd. Labor & Employment SeminarsFall 2016
- Spring 2016 Seminar SeriesMay 4, 2016
- Fall 2015 Seminar SeriesSeptember 16, 2015
- Spring 2015 Seminar SeriesMay 20, 2015
- Castle Publications, Ltd. Labor & Employment SeminarsWinter 2015
- American Conference Institute’s 22nd National ForumThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, Los Angeles, September 30, 2014
- Summer 2014: August 12 and 20
- Spring 2014 Seminar SeriesApril 9, 2014
- Winter 2014: February 19, March 4 and 20
- Fall 2013 Seminar SeriesWestin South Coast Plaza, October 8, 2013
- Summer 2013: July 31, August 15
- Summer 2013: July 30, August 7, August 14
- Spring 2013 Seminar SeriesWestin South Coast Plaza, Orange County, March 27, 2013
- Westin South Coast Plaza, October 10, 2012
- WebEx, April 18, 2012
- Westin South Coast Plaza, March 28, 2012
- Winter 2012: February 6, February 15, February 22 and February 29
- Cypress Community Center, February 23, 2012
- Labor & Employment Law Update Fall 2011Westin South Coast Plaza, October 5, 2011
- Labor & Employment Law WebinarWebEx, May 26, 2011
- Westin South Coast Plaza - Orange County, March 10, 2011
- Winter 2011: February 7, February 15, February 23, and March 2
- Our New, Improved, and FREE Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer (in the Evening!)Westin South Coast Plaza - Costa Mesa, September 14, 2010
- Breakfast With Your Labor LawyerWestin South Coast Plaza, September 23, 2009
- Breakfast With Your Labor LawyerWestin South Coast Plaza, February 12, 2009
- Breakfast With Your Labor LawyerWestin South Coast Plaza, September 10, 2008
- The Westin South Coast Plaza, February 5, 2008
- Member, Orange County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, American Bar Association