Nota Bene Episode 78: COVID-19 and Other Change Agents to the Healthcare Industry Outlook for 2020 with Mike McKinnon
Healthcare systems in the U.S. are feeling the stress of COVID-19. In an attempt to respond to the unexpected impact of the virus on the healthcare industry, the government along with private industry have implemented various measures to help weather the changes while continuing to serve the needs of patients. We’re taking a closer look at what changes have been implemented thus far and forecasting policy changes going forward.
Joining Michael Cohen for this conversation is Michael McKinnon. Mike is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the Sheppard Mullin Orange County office. Michael is leader of the firm's Healthcare Private Equity Team. Michael focuses his practice on corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and equity and debt financings in the healthcare and life sciences industries.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Play or Stitcher to receive every new episode as soon as they're published!
What We Discuss in This Episode
- How will COVID-19 affect the healthcare industry going forward?
- What is the immediate impact of COVID-19 on healthcare providers?
- What is the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act?
- What did the Families First Coronavirus Response Act provide for healthcare providers?
- How has the government loosened certain restrictions when it comes to where medical procedures can take place?
- Will there be greater collaboration between the government and private industry due to the pandemic?
- Along with telemedicine, what other advancements in technologies will be utilized going forward?
- Why a multi-billion dollar grant from the government to hospitals is not likely to alleviate the financial stress
- Will there be a long-term shift in where medical procedures are performed?
- "CMS “Hospitals Without Walls” Waiver: Looking To ASCs to Provide Relief," Healthcare Law Blog, April 6, 2020
- "SEC Guidance on COVID-19 Disclosures for Healthcare Providers," Healthcare Law Blog, April 1, 2020
NEW!! Check out Sheppard Mullin’s Coronavirus Insights Portal which now aggregates the firm’s various COVID-19 blog posts on a broad range of topics. Click here to view and subscribe.