Nota Bene Episode 82: How Congress is Meeting the Pandemic: Stimulus, Relief, and Recovery with Elizabeth Frazee and Jonathan Meyer
As Congress considers several proposed bills to help alleviate the impact of COVID-19 on the U.S. economy, we’re joined by returning guests Elizabeth Frazee and Jonathan Meyer to discuss the latest updates from the Legislative and Executive Branches.
Elizabeth Frazee is the Co-Founder and CEO of Twin Logic Strategies, a boutique government relations firm. Elizabeth was named a “Top Lobbyist” by The Hill newspaper and has a 30-year career in Washington that encompasses over a decade working in high-level jobs on Capitol Hill, executive experience at leading tech and entertainment companies and years of successful representation of companies, trade associations and non-profits as a policy advocate and political strategist.
Jon Meyer is a partner at Sheppard Mullin and counsels clients on their interactions with federal and state government, as well as cybersecurity, homeland security, Congressional oversight and immigration, among other challenges.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Play or Stitcher to receive every new episode as soon as they're published!
What We Discuss in This Episode:
- What is happening in Congress right now?
- What were the four bills already passed by Congress and what did they provide?
- What will the HEROES Act provide and is it likely to pass in the Senate? Is it necessary?
- Is printing more money the solution to the current economic crisis?
- Are there potential litigation consequences to opening businesses too soon?
- Despite the differences on both sides of the aisle, what is the one thing Democrats and Republicans agree on at this moment?
- Should there be conditions attached to any spending bills that pass? If so, what should they be?
- Should bail outs of certain industries, if they were to occur, come with any restrictions?
- What else should Congress be thinking about in upcoming relief efforts?
- What is the Workplace Recovery Fund and how could it potentially help businesses?
"Key Provisions in the Senate Stimulus Bill," Government Contracts & Investigations Blog, March 26, 2020
Check out Sheppard Mullin’s Coronavirus Insights Portal which now aggregates the firm’s various COVID-19 blog posts on a broad range of topics. Click here to view and subscribe.