Restructure This! Episode 21: Real Estate Restructuring – Views from Another Side with Emily S. Gottlieb
Sheppard Mullin's Restructure THIS! podcast explores the latest trends and controversies in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, commercial insolvency and distressed investing. In this week's episode, we delve into real estate development with Emily Gottlieb of AW Properties Global, including discussing commercial-to-residential conversions, redeveloping vacant land, and more.
What We Discussed in This Episode:
- What got you interested in restructuring?
- What is your precise role at AW Properties? What does your day-to-day look like?
- What correlations can you draw between your current role and your former life as a bankruptcy attorney?
- What are your primary sources of business development or business origination?
- How is the auction component offered by AW properties unique and different?
- What are you seeing in the commercial real estate market?
- Will we see more commercial-to-residential conversions?
- Why is it so difficult to redevelop vacant land?
- What can you tell us about a recent Sub 5 case you were involved in?
- What insights would you offer a bankruptcy attorney looking to transition out of traditional law practice?
About Emily S. Gottlieb
Emily S. Gottlieb has more than 18 years of experience in the restructuring industry. She began her career as a real estate attorney working on large commercial transactions at Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath and transitioned into a bankruptcy practice. Emily continued her restructuring work at DLA Piper, representing debtors, creditors, committees, financial institutions, Trustees and receivers in all aspects of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 proceedings, workouts and litigation.
For over a decade, Emily worked for a prominent national bankruptcy and class action administration company as a business development executive and head of Midwest operations, where she managed the Chicago office. Prior to joining AW Properties, she was on the senior leadership team of a major not-for-profit organization in Chicago.
Emily is active in the turnaround community as a member of TMA and IWIRC and previously served on the board of IWIRC Chicago. In addition to being an attorney, she is also a licensed real estate broker and a member of the Chicago Association of Realtors (CAR) and the National Association of Realtors (NAR).
About Justin Bernbrock
Justin Bernbrock is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in Sheppard Mullin's Chicago office, where he focuses on all aspects of corporate restructuring, bankruptcy and financial distress. He represents clients across a wide range of matters, including debtor and creditor representations. He has substantial experience in out-of-court and in-court restructurings, primarily in the Southern District of New York, Eastern District of Virginia, District of Delaware and Southern District of Texas.
Thank you for listening! Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to the show to receive every new episode delivered straight to your podcast player every week.
If you enjoyed this episode, please help us get the word out about this podcast. Rate and Review this show in Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Google Podcasts, Stitcher or Spotify. It helps other listeners find this show.
This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice specific to your circumstances. If you need help with any legal matter, be sure to consult with an attorney regarding your specific needs.