Nick Dugdale is an associate in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office. He is also a member of the firm’s Energy, Infrastructure, and Project Finance Team.
Areas of Practice
Nick focuses his practice on secured and unsecured lending and asset-based finance transactions, with an emphasis on renewable energy projects, vessels, and commercial and business aircraft. He has experience representing clients from the maritime, aviation, and energy industries including project developers, lenders and borrowers, issuers, lessors and lessees, sellers and buyers, and equity investors engaged in a range of sale, lease, and financing transactions involving energy projects and transportation assets.
In law school, Nick served as an articles editor for the UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy, externed at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of General Counsel, and helped to bring the Olympic Games to Los Angeles as a legal intern at the LA 2024 (now LA2028) Bid Committee.
Prior to law school, Nick worked at a leading maritime law firm and as a research assistant to Professor Francis Fukuyama at the Stanford Center on Democracy, Development & the Rule of Law. He is also a competitive sailor, and represented Stanford University as helmsman on the varsity sailing team.
- Cross-border Airline Insolvencies: Will the Cape Town Convention’s Alternative A Limit the Automatic Stay in a Foreign Airline Chapter 11, INSOL's Insolvency Practice Group Newsletter, April 2021
Energy Law Blog
- "SheppardMullin Six: Groundbreaking BOEM Lease Sale in New York Bight Further Accelerates Offshore Wind Development in the Atlantic," January 20, 2022
- "Six Key Things to be Aware of in the Development of Floating Offshore Wind in California," May 27, 2021
- "Six Key Items to be Aware of Today Concerning FERC Carbon Pricing Policy," February 2, 2021
Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog Posts
- "The (Ir)relevance of Section 1110 of the Bankruptcy Code as it relates to Vessels," Maritime Law Association of the United States’ Maritime Bankruptcy and Insolvency Committee, April 30, 2021
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2018; Ralph & Shirley Shapiro Scholarship in Environmental Law; Masin Family Award for Academic Excellence; Articles Editor, UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy
M.Phil. University of Southampton, 2017
M.A. Stanford University, 2013
B.A. Stanford University, 2012