- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2011, cum laude
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2007, with honors, Order of Omega
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Sarah Blitz is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office. She is the leader of the firm’s Cannabis industry team and a member of the firm’s Food and Beverage industry and Product Liability teams.
Areas of Practice
Sarah specializes in commercial and business litigation. Her practice entails matters in state and federal court, including business torts, products liability, professional liability, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties and allegations of unfair business practice and fraud.
Sarah also advises cannabis companies and ancillary businesses on regulatory compliance. She also counsels consumer products manufacturers and distributors on products liability and regulatory compliance issues. Sarah also provides regulatory and product liability advice during acquisitions of consumer product and materials companies.
Sarah is experienced in all aspects of California and federal civil procedure, including motion practice, arguing motions in court, taking and defending depositions, trial and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. She also has significant appellate and writ experience before the California Court of Appeal.
Outside the firm, Sarah is involved with the Alliance of Moms. She formerly served on the Advisory Council for City Scholars Foundation. Sarah is also active with the Anti-Defamation League and a participant in the Glass Leadership Institute.
Secured the return of the Ontario International Airport from the City of Los Angeles back to the City of Ontario.
Obtained complete dismissal at the pleadings stage of lawsuit against Ernst & Young’s Korean member firm involving allegations of negligence and misrepresentation.
Obtained complete defense victory in professional liability lawsuit following an 8-day arbitration.
Advised various consumer products businesses in the CBD and cannabis space regarding California regulatory framework and FDA regulations.
Substantial experience representing foreign clients challenging personal jurisdiction in actions based on both contract and the so-called “stream of commerce” theory, and has obtained dismissals on behalf of multiple clients based on the lack of “minimum contacts” under California’s and federal due process standards for jurisdiction.
Obtained favorable settlement for charitable foundation in a breach of contract dispute with a university over the disposition of a collection of sports memorabilia and a failure to account for donations to university programs.
Represented pharmaceutical company in product liability lawsuit. Obtained complete early dismissal of claims following aggressive and targeted discovery.
Obtained summary judgment for London based insurance companies on a $25 million claim involving arson, theft, murder, corruption, and bribery.
Represented golf club manufacturer in breach of contract dispute. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Represented insurer in bad faith and breach of contract dispute with insured. Obtained complete dismissal at the pleadings stage.
Represented clothing manufacturer in breach of contract dispute with fashion house. Resolved by favorable settlement.
Published Appellate Decisions
Quanta Computer Inc. v. Japan Communications Inc. (2018) 21 Cal. App. 5th 438 (upholding trial court’s discretion to refuse to enforce forum selection clause on foreign defendant.)
- Food Dive, October 17, 2019
- Walking the Regulatory Line of CBD in CosmeticsCosmetics & Toiletries, July 2019
- Law360, June 4, 2019
- Obscenity on the Internet: Nationalizing the Standard to Protect Individual Rights, 38 Hastings Const. L.Q. 233 (2010).
Class Action Defense Strategy Law Blog Posts
- Practice leader Whitney Hodges said the firm, with 40 cannabis clients already, is taking a "boots-on-the-ground" approach.The American Lawyer, June 5, 2019
- Bloomberg law, June 4, 2019
- October 16, 2019
- Hemp-CBD: Enabling Growth by Managing Legal RisksCelesq Webinar, September 25, 2019
- July 17, 2019
- Member, California State Bar, Litigation Section
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Member, City Scholars Foundation Advisory Council
- Member, National Cannabis Bar Association
- Anti-Defamation League, Glass Leadership Institute