Sara Helene Shanti is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Shanti represents healthcare providers and technology companies in matters related to data privacy, healthcare regulatory compliance and mergers and acquisitions. She counsels clients on various data privacy and healthcare technology matters, including artificial intelligence, data security incidents, mobile applications, and telemedicine. Shanti’s experience includes advising clients on transferring data across multinational borders, implementing compliance programs, launching health applications, and responding to federal investigations and security incidents, including ransomware attacks. Her experience extends to consumer and patient rights, medical staff relationships, and transactional matters.
Prior to private practice, Shanti worked as a federal investigator for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, managing a large caseload related to HIPAA and civil rights violations. She earned her B.S. in Biology from the University of Michigan and her J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. Before receiving her law degree, Shanti applied her degree in biology to medical research projects, concentrating on epigenetics and immunologic responses in cancer patients.
- Represented national health systems and Fortune 50 companies in the creation and implementation of a global data privacy and security compliance plans, data breach investigations, and Attorneys General inquiries.
- Represented hospitals and national practices in DOJ and HHS criminal and civil investigations, claim disputes, and subsequent corrective action plans.
- Represented a global medical device company in restructuring compliance program to minimize EU, federal, and state data privacy risks to $90M+ annual service contracts.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in acquiring FDA mobile applications.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company and state-of-the-art academic facility in a clinical research unit partnership and related compliance matters.
- Represented investors on regulatory matters in a $100M+ acquisition of a lab testing company and a $1B+ acquisition of a foreign healthcare company.
- Represented a pediatric hospital with respect to innovative delivery systems and community outreach efforts.
- Represented global transportation companies related to healthcare transport and reimbursement matters.
- Represented global mobile application and national telemedicine companies in healthcare regulatory matters and start-up initiatives.
Rising Stars in Law, Crain's Chicago Business, 2021
- "Protecting Continuity, Workforce, and Physical Assets During the Pandemic," ACC Docket, May 2020
- "Current business trends to keep an eye on in the age of COVID-19," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, April 22, 2021
- "Protecting Continuity, Workforce, and Physical Assets During the Pandemic," ACC Docket, May 2, 2020
- "Alphabet’s COVID-19 project underscores privacy concerns with big tech," Modern Healthcare, March 21, 2020
- "What Investors Should Understand About Data Privacy & Security Risks & Opportunities – 5 Key Takeaways," The Healthcare Investor, March 2018
- Co-author, "Impact of the European Union’s Recently Enacted General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) on U.S. Academic Medical Centers," American Health Lawyers Association E-Alert, May 2016
- Co-author, "Impact of the European Union's Approved General Data Protection Regulation on Scientific Research and Secondary Uses of Personal Data," Bloomberg BNA Medical Research Law & Policy Report, February 2016
Healthcare Law Blog
- "Supreme Court Discrimination Case Narrows Scope of Restitution for Individuals," May 25, 2022
- "Top 5 Legal Issues in Digital Health to Watch for in 2022," February 1, 2022
Privacy Law Blog Posts
- "FDA Joins Other Regulators in Focus on AI and Machine Learning," November 22, 2021
- "The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Data Privacy, Security, and Liability," November 2020
- "Data Security Issues Related to Wearables and Trackers," September 2020
- "Diversity & Implicit Bias: Challenges and Strategies for Inclusion," June 2020
- "COVID - 19 Critical Legal Implications," March 2020
- "Emerging Financing Alternatives for Life Sciences Companies: Opportunities and Pitfalls You Need to Know," October 2019
- "Investments in Provider Support Technology: Mobile Apps, Revenue Cycle Businesses, and Similar Investments," 16th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 2019
- "Digital Health and Cybersecurity," 10th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Conference, November 2018
- "HIPAA and Mobile Health Applications," HIPAA Webinar Series, September 2018
- "Wearable Devices and Data Security," Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Webinar Series, August 2018
- "HIPAA Audits and HIPAA Enforcement – Lessons Learned," HIPAA Webinar Series, July 2018
- "Telemedicine in Nephrology," 16th Annual Business and Legal Issues in Dialysis and Nephrology Symposium, May 2018
- "What Investors Should Understand about Data Privacy and Security Risks and Opportunities," 15th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 2018
- Group Health Plan HIPAA Compliance Trainings, November-December 2016
- "HIPAA Compliance Demystified," MATTER – Chicago Healthcare Startup Incubator Workshop, May 2015
- Expert panelist for International Device and Pharmaceutical Privacy Consortia, 2011-2015
- Expert panelist for Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys, 2012-2014
- HIPAA Omnibus Rule Webcast: New Regulation Considerations, HealthITSecurity, June 2014
- Webinar, 05.19.2022
American Health Lawyers Association, 2011-Present
B-Sharp (Network for Women In-House Attorneys), 2019-Present
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (Active Court-Appointed GAL), 2011-Present
Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, 2011-Present
International Association of Privacy Professionals 2013-Present