Alan Feld is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group and Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office. He serves as the Leader of the firm's Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities Team.
Areas of Practice
Alan’s practice focuses on both international and domestic bankruptcy, business reorganizations and workouts involving complex collateral packages and multiple jurisdictions. His clients include bondholders, lenders, servicers and other creditors in connection with bankruptcy and financial restructuring matters of all types.
Alan represents special servicers in connection with commercial mortgage backed securities and other securitized debt and structured products. His experience includes out of court restructurings as well as complex Chapter 11 proceedings. He handles cash collateral proceedings, DIP financings, section 363(f) asset sales, automatic stay litigation and plan litigation. Alan also has expertise in cross-border restructuring and insolvency matters. He represents the creditors of publicly traded foreign entities with U.S. dollar denominated debt including in emerging markets.
Alan also represents lenders and other creditors in the restructuring of borrowers in crisis situations. Such matters typically involve debt secured by extremely volatile assets (comprised of complex and highly fragile collateral packages) at risk of precipitous devaluation. These matters frequently involve numerous third parties (such as franchisors of franchisee borrowers) that may hold the key to a lender's potential recovery. He has a track record of taking swift action to preserve going concern value for the benefit of his lender clients.
Recent Representative Experience:
Representing Pacific Premier Bank (PPB), headquartered in Irvine, CA with approximately $20 billion in total assets, as the primary secured lender to Platinum Corral, LLC, Golden Corral’s second largest franchisee in the United States. PPB has worked cooperatively with Platinum Corral, both leading up to the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing in the Eastern District of North Carolina and now helping to restructure its finances in the currently pending Chapter 11 proceeding. PPB is the senior secured creditor, owed in excess of $16 million.
- Representation of purchaser of the primary assets of a 150 store retailer in New York area currently in Chapter 11 by prospective strategic buyer (competing sporting good retail chain owned by a private equity firm) for $65 million.
- Representation of one of the primary licensors of merchandise to Sears and Kmart in the Sears/Kmart Chapter 11 pending in the Southern District of New York Bankruptcy Court.
- Representation of one of the largest equipment lessor ($80 million) of Dean Foods/Southern Foods Group (large dairy conglomerate) pending in the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court.
- Representation of a large South African bank’s Australia branch in the distressed sale (in consideration of $90 million in secured debt) of a Canadian owned California based gold mining company to a competing Australian based mining company – in an assignment for the benefit of creditors under California state law.
- Representation of the main credit card processor in the Chapter 11 case of an approximately 300 location discount department store chain pending in Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- Representation of major CMBS special servicer in Chapter 11 of the largest toy retailer (Toys-R-Us) in the United States.
- Representation of West Coast based bank in default, restructuring and bankruptcy matters in connection with their entire franchise (quick service restaurant) lending portfolio throughout the United States.
- Representation of several major CMBS special servicers in default, workout, restructuring and bankruptcy matters in connection with significant commercial real estate assets throughout the United States.
- Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring), Best Lawyers, 2009-2021, 2023
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Fellow since 2015
- Trending Legal Issues in the Retail Industry Webinar, 06.16.2020
- Law School for the CFO - Getting Back to Work Presented by the CFO Leadership Counsel, 05.27.2020
- Panelist on Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy Issues, American College of Mortgage Attorneys, 2015-2020
- Panelist on Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy Issues, Trigild Lender Conferences, 2012-2020
- Moderator, "Current Workout Structures - Case Studies," Spring 2014 Trigild Lender Conference, 04.24.2014
- Panelist, "What Lenders Get: Make-Whole Premiums and Other Lender Rights in the Wake of U.S. Bank v. American Airlines," Financial Lawyers Conference, 04.04.2013
- Moderator, "Confirming a Chapter 11 Plan: The Challenges, Pitfalls and Opportunities," American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Battleground West 2011, 03.04.2011
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Commercial Lending and Financial Transactions
- Real Estate, Energy, Land Use & Environmental
J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 1991, with honors
B.A., Williams College, 1987, with honors
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Samuel L. Bufford, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California, 1991
- New York