- J.D., University of Southern California, 1991, with honors
- B.A., Williams College, 1987, with honors
- New York
Alan Feld is a partner in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group and the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office. He serves as the Team Leader of the firm's Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities team.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Feld’s practice focuses on both international and domestic bankruptcy, business reorganizations and workouts involving complex collateral packages and multiple jurisdictions. He represents bondholders, lenders, servicers and other creditors in connection with bankruptcy and financial restructuring matters of all types. His experience includes a wide breadth of out of court restructurings as well as complex Chapter 11 proceedings. Mr. Feld's bankruptcy expertise includes cash collateral proceedings, DIP financings, section 363(f) asset sales, automatic stay litigation and plan litigation.
Mr. Feld has particular expertise in cross border restructuring and insolvency issues. He has significant experience representing the creditors of publicly traded foreign entities with U.S. dollar denominated debt. Mr. Feld focuses much of his practice in the emerging markets with particular emphasis on Latin America. He typically represents ad hoc committees of bondholders and other creditors in the restructuring of emerging market entities that have securities that are publicly traded in the United States.
In addition to his international practice, Mr. Feld has particular expertise in the representation of lenders and other creditors in the restructuring of borrowers in crisis situations. Such matters typically involve debt secured by extremely volatile assets (comprised of complex and highly fragile collateral packages) at risk of precipitous devaluation. These matters frequently involve numerous third parties (such as franchisors of franchisee borrowers) that may hold the key to a lender's potential recovery. Mr. Feld has a significant track record of taking swift action to preserve going concern value for the benefit of his lender clients.
At the beginning of his career, he clerked for Judge Samuel L. Bufford of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2009-2017
- Moderator, "Current Workout Structures - Case Studies," Spring 2014 Trigild Lender Conference, April 24, 2014
- Panelist, "What Lenders Get: Make-Whole Premiums and Other Lender Rights in the Wake of U.S. Bank v. American Airlines," Financial Lawyers Conference, April 4, 2013
- Panelist, 2012 Trigild Lender Conference, April 24-25, 2012
- Moderator, "Confirming a Chapter 11 Plan: The Challenges, Pitfalls and Opportunities," American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Battleground West 2011, March 4, 2011