Aaron J. Sobaski represents owners, developers, investors, and corporate users in connection with the acquisition, sale, leasing, ground leasing, financing, construction and development of commercial real estate projects.
Areas of Practice
Aaron has a broad real estate transactional practice representing both public and private entities, with particular emphasis on the purchase, sale, leasing and development of industrial/distribution facilities, complex public private partnerships, and ground lease based transactions. Such representations include student housing and affordable housing projects, mobile home parks, and other commercial and residential developments, as well as military base reuse and redevelopment, and large logistics and distribution facilities (both on and off airport).
For mixed-use developer clients Aaron has drafted CC&Rs, Reciprocal Easement Agreements, and other forms of “shared use” agreements. He has also assisted such clients with establishing owners associations and preparing subdivision filings with the California Bureau of Real Estate.
Aaron regularly represents foreign investors and investment funds in connection with their acquisition, disposition, leasing and management of real estate assets in California.
A significant part of Aaron’s practice involves representing large national and international corporations regarding their various real estate needs, including the development and construction of new distribution, production, R&D, and office facilities, commercial leasing and subleasing, and the restructuring and disposition of excess real estate assets.
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Represented the Regents of the University of California in connection with the development and financing of the UCSF Neurosciences Building on UCSF’s Mission Bay Campus
- Represented The Presidio of San Francisco regarding various base reuse and redevelopment projects including a variety of lease and ground lease transactions
- Represent DHL in connection with its leasing, development, and financing of various on-airport distribution facilities across the U.S. including those located at: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Chicago O’Hare International Airport, March Air Reserve Base (Riverside, CA), San Francisco International Airport, and more than thirty other on-airport locations
- Represented Carmel Partners and its affiliates with respect to their U.C. Davis - West Village mixed-use development, which includes student housing, commercial space, and related infrastructure work, as well substantial solar energy improvements, all pursuant to a complex multi-phased ground lease structure
- Represented Continental Mobile Homes and its affiliate Oakridge, Ltd. regarding the long term ground leasing of approximately 10% of the lots at the Oakridge Mobile Home Park in Los Angeles, CA to an affordable housing developer working in conjunction with the City of Los Angeles and a tax credit investor
- Represented Edgemoor Development in connection with all aspects of its development of the Central District Project at the University of Kansas, including long-term ground leasing, a development agreement with the University, a long-term service agreement with the University and a third party service provider, construction agreements with its contractors and various other ancillary agreements
- Represented Cal State - Los Angeles in connection with a long-term ground lease to the LAFC soccer club for the development and construction of an on-campus practice facility for the team including related offices and improvements
- Represent the City of Napa in connection with its new Civic Center project being developed via a Public Private Partnership with an international developer
- Regularly represents MOB developers in connection with the acquisition, development, construction, financing (both debt and equity), and eventual disposition of projects throughout Southern California.
- Represented Avanti Hospitals and Palladin Capital in connection with their purchase of the East Los Angeles Doctor’s Hospital and Memorial Hospital of Gardena as well as related Medical Office Buildings, including the structuring and negotiation of a complex sale-leaseback and purchase money financing
- Represented the Marin Community Clinic with respect to the purchase of a long term ground lease and the receipt of a donative gift of the fee interest in a medical office facility in Marin County, CA
- Represented Plymouth Health Investments LLC with its sale of the Alvarado Hospital and related Medical Office Buildings in San Diego, CA
- Represented DISC Sports & Spine Center regarding its leasing and development of medical office facility and surgical centers in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, CA
- Represented LA BioMed in connection with a complex multi-lender construction loan (including EB5 debt) for the expansion of its ground leased campus at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
- Represented the developer of the Ritz-Carlton Club in San Francisco, which includes commercial, condominium, and time-share units in the historical San Francisco Chronicle Building on Market Street in San Francisco, CA
- Represented Geolo Capital in its purchase of The Crown Apartments in Miami Beach, FL, and the redevelopment of the property into the Roosevelt Miami Beach Hotel
- Corporate Transactions
- Regularly represent DHL and its affiliates in connection with their corporate leasing transactions throughout the U.S., including retail facilities, office locations, and distribution facilities of all sizes, including a number of on-airport properties
- Represent California Newspapers Partnership and its affiliates and subsidiaries with various leasing and subleasing transactions, as well as the disposition of excess real estate assets, including the sale of the former headquarters and production and distribution facilities for the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Marin Independent Journal, and Contra Costa Times
- Represented GenCorp and its subsidiary Aerojet with respect to the real estate aspects of the purchase of the Pratt & Whitney - Rocketdyne division of UTC. That representation included the drafting and negotiation of long-term facility leases, service agreements, and various subleases, lease assignments, lease terminations, and similar transactions for all of the PWR facilities in the U.S., including production, R&D, manufacturing, testing (including rocket launch testing), and office facilities
- Regularly represent various corporations, including private equity shareholders, in connection with the sale, disposition, and lease-back of their real estate assets in connection with M&A transactions, corporate restructuring, and real estate secured financing/re-financing
Rising Star, Georgetown University Law School Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, 2009
Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013-2015
- Arbitrators Hearing Grievances Under The National Football League's Collective Bargaining Agreement Should Require Grievances To Be Timely FiledJournal of the Legal Aspects of Sport, 03.17.2006
Real Estate, Land Use, & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Courts Clarify Local Agency Role In Mobile Home Park Ownership Conversions," November 12, 2010
- "As of March 8, 2010, Major Title Insurers Will No Longer Underwrite Policies to Protect Creditors' Rights," March 5, 2010
- "Sea Walls Can Be Expensive: $2 Million Mitigation Fee for Loss of Shoreline Recreational Value is Not a Taking", July 3, 2008
- Presenter and panelist on "Practical Tips for Negotiating the Best Lease Deals" to the American Corporate Counsel Association (ACC - May 2005)
California Bar Association
Orange County Bar Association
Urban Land Institute
Sports Lawyers Association