- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2003
- B.A., Northwestern University, 1998
Aaron J. Sobaski represents owners, developers, investors, and corporate users in connection with the acquisition, sale, leasing, ground leasing, financing, construction and development of commercial real estate projects.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sobaski has a broad real estate transactional practice representing both public and private entities, with particular emphasis on complex public private partnerships and ground lease based transactions. Such representations include student housing and affordable housing projects, mobile home parks, and other commercial and residential developments, as well as military base reuse and re development, and large logistics and distribution facilities (both on and off airport).
For mixed-use developer clients Mr. Sobaski has drafted CC&Rs, Reciprocal Easement Agreements, and other forms of “shared use” agreements. He has also assisted such clients with establishing owners associations and preparing subdivision filings with the California Bureau of Real Estate.
Mr. Sobaski represents a number of bank and other financial institution clients with both debt and equity transactions, including the disposition of REO assets post-foreclosure, and also regularly represents foreign investors and investment funds in connection with their acquisition, disposition, leasing and management of real estate assets in California.
A significant part of Mr. Sobaski’s practice involves representing large national and international corporations regarding their various real estate needs, including the development and construction of new distribution, production, R&D, and office facilities, commercial leasing and subleasing, and the restructuring and disposition of excess real estate assets.
- Rising Star, Georgetown University Law School Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, 2009
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013-2015
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Represented the Regents of the University of California in connection with the development and financing of the UCSF Neurosciences Building on UCSF’s Mission Bay Campus
- Represented The Presidio of San Francisco regarding various base reuse and redevelopment projects including a variety of lease and ground lease transactions
- Represent DHL in connection with its leasing, development, and financing of various on-airport distribution facilities across the U.S. including those located at: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Chicago O’Hare International Airport, March Air Reserve Base (Riverside, CA), San Francisco International Airport, and more than thirty other on-airport locations
- Represent Carmel Partners and its affiliates with respect to almost all aspects of their U.C. Davis - West Village mixed-use development, which includes student housing, commercial, and single family home projects, related infrastructure work, as well substantial solar energy improvements, all pursuant to a complex multi-phased ground lease structure
- Represented Continental Mobile Homes and its affiliate Oakridge, Ltd. regarding the long term ground leasing of approximately 10% of the lots at the Oakridge Mobile Home Park in Los Angeles, CA to an affordable housing developer working in conjunction with the City of Los Angeles and a tax credit investor
- Regularly represents MOB developers in connection with the acquisition, development, construction, financing (both debt and equity), and eventual disposition of projects throughout Southern California.
- Represented Avanti Hospitals and Palladin Capital in connection with their purchase of the East Los Angeles Doctor’s Hospital and Memorial Hospital of Gardena as well as related Medical Office Buildings, including the structuring and negotiation of a complex sale-leaseback and purchase money financing
- Represented the Marin Community Clinic with respect to the purchase of a long term ground lease and the receipt of a donative gift of the fee interest in a medical office facility in Marin County, CA
- Represented Plymouth Health Investments LLC with its sale of the Alvarado Hospital and related Medical Office Buildings in San Diego, CA
- Represented DISC Sports & Spine Center regarding its leasing and development of medical office facility and surgical centers in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach, CA
- Represent DaVita in connection with various leasing and related transactions for dialysis and patient care centers throughout the U.S.
- Represented the developer of the Ritz-Carlton Club in San Francisco, which includes commercial, condominium, and time-share units in the historical San Francisco Chronicle Building on Market Street in San Francisco, CA
- Represented Geolo Capital (Commune Hotels) in its purchase of The Crown Apartments in Miami Beach, FL, and the redevelopment of the property into the Roosevelt Miami Beach Hotel
- Corporate Transactions
- Regularly represent DHL and its affiliates in connection with their corporate leasing transactions throughout the U.S., including retail facilities, office locations, and distribution facilities of all sizes, including a number of on-airport properties
- Regularly represent California Newspapers Partnership and its affiliates and subsidiaries with various leasing and subleasing transactions, as well as the disposition of excess real estate assets, including the sale of the former headquarters and production and distribution facilities for the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Marin Independent Journal, and Contra Costa Times
- Represented GenCorp and its subsidiary Aerojet with respect to the real estate aspects of the purchase of the Pratt & Whitney - Rocketdyne division of UTC. That representation included the drafting and negotiation of long-term facility leases, service agreements, and various subleases, lease assignments, lease terminations, and similar transactions for all of the PWR facilities in the U.S., including production, R&D, manufacturing, testing (including rocket launch testing), and office facilities
- Arbitrators Hearing Grievances Under The National Football League's Collective Bargaining Agreement Should Require Grievances To Be Timely FiledJournal of the Legal Aspects of Sport, March 17, 2006
Real Estate, Land Use, & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Courts Clarify Local Agency Role In Mobile Home Park Ownership Conversions," November 12, 2010
- "As of March 8, 2010, Major Title Insurers Will No Longer Underwrite Policies to Protect Creditors' Rights," March 5, 2010
- "Sea Walls Can Be Expensive: $2 Million Mitigation Fee for Loss of Shoreline Recreational Value is Not a Taking", July 3, 2008
- Don't Miss It: Hot Deals & Firms We're Following This WeekLaw360, February 26, 2016
- Presenter and panelist on "Practical Tips for Negotiating the Best Lease Deals" to the American Corporate Counsel Association (ACC - May 2005)
- California Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Sports Lawyers Association