Out at Sheppard's mission is to increase visibility of and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender attorneys and professionals in keeping with Sheppard Mullin's overall commitment to diversity. The group focuses its collective efforts on finding, hiring and retaining the best and brightest LGBTQ attorneys and encouraging them as they move into leadership roles at the Firm. Out at Sheppard helps facilitate participation in law student outreach programs, actively participates in the Summer Associate program, and provides informal opportunities for mentorship, collaboration and camaraderie for attorneys in all stages of their career. The group also serves as a resource for professional and business development, and as a communication link to the Firm's leadership.
By contributing to the open and affirming culture at Sheppard Mullin, we aim to positively impact not only our own and our clients' workplaces, but also the larger communities in which we practice. We are committed to seeking out, encouraging and supporting meaningful pro bono work, community activism and volunteer opportunities to protect the rights and improve the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer individuals and their loved ones.
For more information about Out At Sheppard, please contact DInclusion@sheppardmullin.com. If you are a law student or experienced lawyer candidate interested in partnering with or learning more about Out at Sheppard, contact Jay Ramsey, Robert Guite or Candace Matson.
Please click here to read our Out at Sheppard brochure.
Sheppard Mullin participates in the Lavender Law Career Fair and conducts other LGBTQ law student and attorney recruiting outreach.
Sheppard Mullin has a strong tradition of supporting the LGBTQ community through pro bono work and charitable giving. The firm is proud to provide pro bono service to such organizations as Lambda Legal and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). In addition, Sheppard Mullin sponsors LGBTQ-related events and provides financial support to various LGBTQ community organizations.
GLAAD: Sheppard Mullin serves as GLAAD’s national pro bono counsel assisting the organization in furthering its mission to rewrite the script for LGBTQ acceptance. Sheppard Mullin advises GLAAD in all aspects of its operations including governance, intellectual property, licensing, contracts, promotions and employment. Sheppard Mullin attorneys regularly attend board meetings and represent the GLAAD when litigation arises. The firm is also a sponsor of GLAAD and Sheppard Mullin attorneys participate in the annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York, Los Angeles and the GLAAD Gala in San Francisco.
Lambda Legal: Sheppard Mullin is also a proud National Sponsor of Lambda Legal. Pro bono matters with Lambda Legal include assistance with an amicus brief opposing a challenge to an amendment to the California Education Code broadening the definition of gender to include sexual identity. Each year, Sheppard Mullin attorneys and clients attend Lambda events including the Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner in New York City.
Williams Institute: Sheppard Mullin sponsors LGBTQ-related events and provides support to various LGBTQ community organizations. One of our LGBTQ partners sits on the Advisory Council of the Williams Institute, an LGBTQ research facility and think tank at UCLA School of Law. Sheppard Mullin has hosted various events on behalf of the Williams Institute, including in its San Francisco and New York offices.
Other pro bono efforts supporting the LGBTQ community:
- On behalf of the Los Angeles LGBT Center and its affordable housing partner, Sheppard Mullin attorneys secured the entitlements for a new headquarters and campus for the LGBT Center that includes 135 units of affordable housing for seniors and young people, 100 temporary beds for homeless, at-risk youth, and new senior and youth centers.
- Sheppard Mullin was a proud Gold Sponsor of the National Center for Transgender Equality’s Trans Equality Now Award Dinner held in Washington, D.C. on May 17 2018.
- We are proud to have partnered with SF Pride to provide pro bono legal services.
- Sheppard Mullin received the AID for AIDS International's My Hero Award, commemorating the firm's outstanding contribution in the fight against HIV and AIDS.
- Sheppard Mullin attorneys obtained immigration asylum for an HIV-positive LGBTQ immigrant from Mexico after a lifetime of abuse and threats, ensuring that he would not be deported to face persecution and poor health.
- Preparation of a pro bono estate plan for HIV/AIDS clients.
Sheppard Mullin attorneys have had leadership roles in many LGBTQ organizations, including:
- Lambda Legal National Leadership Council
- LGBT Bar Association of Los Angeles
- The Williams Institute (A think tank at UCLA Law dedicated to conducting rigorous, independent research on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy)
- Pop Luck Club (a non-profit organization providing community support for gay dads and their children)
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
- Tom Homann LGBT Bar Association (San Diego)
- Human Rights Campaign, 02.01.2021
- Texas Lawyer, 09.18.2020
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized In Yale Law Women’s Top Firms For Gender Equity & Family Friendliness Report05.20.2020
- Sheppard Mullin Selects Century City Partner Jay Ramsey as 2020 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow03.04.2020
- Los Angeles Business Journal, 01.27.2020
- San Diego Lawyer, November/December 2019 issue
- ABA Journal, 11.01.2019
- ABA Journal, 11.01.2019
- Sheppard Mullin Earns Top Rankings For Second Consecutive Year from ChIPs For Advances in Diversity and InclusionNorthern California Record, 10.15.2019
- Sheppard Mullin Earns Top Rankings For Second Consecutive Year from ChIPs For Advances in Diversity and Inclusion10.11.2019
- Law360, 07.09.2019
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA), 04.18.2019
- Los Angeles Business Journal, 01.28.2019
- Big Law Celebrates 'Generations of Strength' at SF Pride ParadeThe Recorder, 06.25.2018
- From East to West, Big Law Comes Out for PrideThe American Lawyer, 06.23.2017
- KCETLink, 12.18.2015
- The National Law Journal, 09.08.2014
- The American Lawyer, 05.29.2014
- The American Lawyer, 06.01.2012
- Sheppard Mullin Named Among "Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity" for 2012 by MultiCultural Law MagazineMultiCultural Law, 05.04.2012
- Local Law School Pipeline Programs and High School Students Benefit From Sheppard Mullin Diversity & Inclusion04.30.2010
- The American Lawyer, 03.02.2010
- Corporate Equality Index, 01.01.2010
- Sheppard Mullin Selected By MultiCultural Law As A 2008 "Top 100 Law Firm for Diversity" and "Top 100 Law Firms for Women"01.01.2008
- Webinar, 04.08.2021
- Sheppard Mullin’s Orange County Office - 650 Town Center Drive, 4th Floor, Costa Mesa, 04.14.2016
- Sheppard Mullin's DC Office - 2099 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Suite 100, Washington, DC 20006, 04.06.2016
- Sheppard Mullin's Century City Office - 1901 Avenue Of The Stars, Suite 1600, 04.06.2016
- Sheppard Mullin's Los Angeles Office - 333 South Hope Street, 43rd Floor, 04.05.2016
- Republique Los Angeles, 04.23.2015
- Sheppard Mullin San Francisco & New York, 05.30.2014
- Concrete Hero, Los Angeles07.14.2013
- Lambda Legal Summer Associate and Firm Networking Reception, Los Angeles07.2013
- Lambda Legal West Coast Liberty Awards, Los Angeles06.2013
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat, Los Angeles06.2013
- Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner, New York05.06.2013
- Out at Sheppard Client Reception, San Francisco05.02.2013
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner, San Diego05.2013
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards04.20.2013
- Sheppard Mullin/Columbia Outlaws Luncheon, New York04.2013
- New York Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards03.16.2013
- San Francisco Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards03.11.2013
- Williams Institute Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Moot Court Competition, Los Angeles02.16.2013
- Lesbian & Gay Lawyers Association Annual Gala, Los Angeles02.09.2013
- LA Gay and Lesbian Center Annual Legal Professionals Reception01.13.2013
- LA Gay & Lesbian Center Anniversary Gala11.10.2012
- National LGBT Bar Association’s Out and Proud Corporate Counsel Reception, San Diego10.25.2012
- Lambda Legal D.C. Sponsor Appreciation Party10.24.2012
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat, Los Angeles10.19.2012
- Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair, Washington, D.C.08.23.2012
- Lambda Legal in San Diego07.18.2012
- Lambda Legal West Coast Liberty Awards, Los Angeles06.14.2012
- San Francisco Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards06.02.2012
- Lambda Legal in D.C.05.21.2012
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner in San Diego05.10.2012
- Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner, New York05.07.2012
- Border Grill, 05.02.2012
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards04.21.2012
- New York Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards03.24.2012
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat in Los Angeles10.28.2011
- Lambda Legal West Coast Liberty Awards in Los Angeles10.27.2011
- Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair in Los AngelesHollywood Renaissance Hotel, Hollywood, CA, September 8-10, 2011
- Lambda Legal in DCLong View Gallery, D.C., 06.01.2011
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in San FranciscoSan Francisco, CA - San Francisco Marriott Marquis, 05.14.2011
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner in San Diego05.12.2011
- Liberty Awards National Dinner - Lambda Legal in New YorkPier 60, Chelsea Piers, New York, NY, 05.02.2011
- Lambda Legal's San Francisco CelebrationThe Four Seasons Hotel, San Francisco, CA, 04.21.2011
- Columbia Law School's Outlaws in New York04.18.2011
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in Los AngelesLos Angeles, CA - The Westin Bonaventure Hotel, 04.10.2011
- Out at Sheppard Wine Reception in Los AngelesHatfield's Restaurant, 04.07.2011
- UCLA's Williams Institute 10th Anniversary Celebration in Los AngelesUCLA School of Law, 04.07.2011
- Lambda Legal in Fort LauderdaleBonnet House Museum and Gardens, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 03.27.2011
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in New YorkNew York City, NY - Marriott Marquis Times Square, 03.19.2011
- Love Lounge for Lambda Legal in Los AngelesWinston's, West Hollywood, CA, 03.06.2011
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat in Los AngelesLos Angeles, CA, 10.2010
- Drago Centro, 10.21.2010
- The Egyptian Theater, 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 09.16.2010
- Lavender Law, National LGBT Bar Association's Annual Career Fair and Conference in Miami Beach, FLMiami Beach, Florida, 08.26.2010
- GLAAD Media Awards in San FranciscoWestin St. Francis, San Francisco, 06.05.2010
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner in San DiegoHard Rock Hotel, San Diego, 05.13.2010
- Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner in New YorkPier 60, Chelsea Piers, New York, 05.03.2010
- Cocktail Reception and Private Wine Tasting hosted by Out at Sheppard in Los AngelesHatfield's Restaurant, Los Angeles, 04.29.2010
- GLAAD Media Awards in Los AngelesLos Angeles, Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, 04.17.2010
- GLAAD Media Awards in New YorkNew York, Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York, 03.13.2010
- National Employment Law Counsel Diversity Reception03.09.2010
- The Orange County Diversity Task Force01.01.2010