Brian S. Fong is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Brian focuses his practice on the defense of employers against all aspects of employment-related claims, including harassment, discrimination, and wage and hour disputes. Brian also advises employers of all sizes and business in proactive preventative measures to improve employee relations and minimize exposure to litigation risks.
Brian regularly presents on employment-related topics including sexual harassment prevention, conducting workplace investigations, effectively dealing with leaves of absence, and social media in the workplace. Brian previously founded and co-chaired a national series of webinars providing practical training to human resources specialists, generalists, payroll managers, upper level managers, in-house counsel, insurance carriers, and executives on important legal trends to help them make well-informed employment decisions on a day-to-day basis.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Brian was an associate with a large national firm in San Diego, where his practice focused on employment litigation and counseling, business litigation and professional liability matters.
Prior to the practice of law, Brian oversaw network and information systems technology for an architectural planning firm, and provided business continuity and security planning for all systems and company data.
Rising Stars® distinction in the field of Employment & Labor, General Litigation, and Professional Liability: Defense (2015-2019)
Hot List, Lawyers of Color (2014)
- National Apartment Association’s Units Magazine, 03.2018
Labor and Employment Law Blog Posts
- "San Francisco Mandates Proof of Full Vaccination for Entry Into Many Establishments," August 20, 2021
- "Cal/OSHA Finally Enacts Revised Emergency Temporary Standards," June 18, 2021
- "Cal/OSHA Approves Revised Emergency Temporary Standards," June 8, 2021
- "Significant Updates to Cal/OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standards on the Horizon," May 17, 2021
- "San Francisco Enacts a Temporary Ordinance Granting Workers Laid Off Due to COVID-19 a Right to Reinstatement," July 15, 2020
- "Ninth Circuit Holds Prior Salary Cannot Justify Wage Differences," April 10, 2018
- "Mendoza v. Nordstrom – Day Of Rest Rule," June 8, 2017
Retail Law Blog Posts
- Webinar, 05.25.2021
- Spring 2017 Seminar Series, 05.03.2017
Member, Marin County Bar Association
Member, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
Member, Chinese American Lawyers of the Bay Area
Provides pro bono advice to nonprofit organizations in the Bay Area, including Bay Area Women Against Rape and Operation Dignity
J.D., University of San Diego, 2007, cum laude, Comments Editor, San Diego Law Review; Senior Executive Editor, Journal of Contemporary Legal Issues
B.A., University of California, Santa Cruz, 2000
American University in Cairo, Egypt (Study Abroad Student) 1999-2000
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California