Brian Weimer is a partner in the firm's Washington, D.C. office and Leader of the firm's Telecom Team and Co-Leader of the CFIUS Team. Mr. Weimer provides regulatory and transactional advice across the entire telecommunications ecosystem. He is perhaps best known as a leading lawyer for the satellite industry, and he leads the firm’s Space & Satellite practice as well.
- Obtains market access and FCC licenses for space station operators, both GEO and Non-GEO.
- Advises satellite and wireless companies on regulatory proceedings impacting the value, uses, availability, and sharing of spectrum resources.
- Lobbies the FCC at the highest levels to achieve optimal outcomes for clients on their most important regulatory proceedings.
- Assists telecom companies navigate the myriad regulatory approvals necessary to consummate M&A deals, including Team Telecom and CFIUS.
- Secures special temporary authority and experimental licenses for telecom companies of all kinds.
- Prepares petitions for declaratory ruling to exceed foreign ownership benchmarks under the Communications Act.
- Obtain earth station licenses for satellite networks.
- Advises on regulatory aspects of business plans to assist fundraising efforts by start-up companies.
- Analyzes feasibility of foreign investment in telecom (and other) companies in light of strictures imposed by the Communications Act, Team Telecom, and CFIUS.
- Prepares applications for 214 authorization at the FCC and similar initiatives at the State level.
- Advises foreign companies on the need for and structuring of proxy companies in the U.S. to assist in obtaining specialized U.S. government contracts.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to founders and entrepreneurs in their most important strategic decisions as they relate to FCC, ITU, and market access actions around the world.
- Negotiates and drafts commercial contracts and M&A agreements for telecom companies.
- Advises companies through regulatory enforcement proceedings at the FCC and other federal agencies.
- Counsels telecom companies through restructuring efforts, including Chapter 11.
- Advises media and other telecom companies with all manner of regulatory requirements for their businesses.
Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2014-2024
Recommended Lawyer, Telecoms and Broadcast (regulatory and transactional), Legal 500 US, 2010-2023
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer, Communications, Super Lawyers, 2018-2023
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2018-2021
Recognized Practitioner, Telecommunications, Chambers USA, 2017-2021
- Law360, 09.27.2018
- Law360, 03.20.2018
- "Key Considerations in Hosted Payloads," Satellite Finance, November 14, 2016
- "Complying with Laws that Affect Domestic and International Telecommunications Businesses," Inside the Minds: Recent Developments in Telecommunications Law, (c) 2013 Aspatore Books from Thomson Reuters Westlaw. Reproduced by permission. To purchase the book and to see the full chapter, please click here.
- "Loosening Satellite Export Controls," Law360, May 4, 2012
- "Key Details of CFIUS 2010 Annual Report," The Deal, January 25, 2012
- "Foreign Investment in China's Telecommunications Industry: Current Opportunities, Potential Barriers, and Future Prospects," presented at the 18th Biennial Conference of the International Telecommunications Society, June 28, 2010
- Periodic contributor to Via Satellite magazine, including Twenty Years of Via Satellite: How the Commercial Satellite Industry Recaptured Public Attention, 2006
- The Year in Wireless Telecommunications 2005-2006, 24th Annual Institute on Telecommunications Policy & Regulation, 2006
- Legal Opinions in Corporate Transactions Affected by FCC Regulation: An Economic Approach, 51 Federal Communications Law Journal 773, 1999
FCC Law Blog Posts
- "ALERT: FCC Opens Rulemaking on Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems in Licensed Spectrum," January 4, 2023
- "ALERT: FCC Chairwoman Rosenworcel Announces Plans to Create a Space Bureau," November 3, 2022
- "The Many Layered Flavors of Broadband – The FCC’s Proposed Broadband “Nutrition Labels”," April 5, 2022
- "D.C. Circuit Allows FCC To Open 6 GHz Band For Unlicensed Use," January 20, 2022
- "ALERT: NTIA Seeks Public Comment on Implementation of Upcoming Broadband Grant Programs," January 10, 2022
- "Look Up In The Sky! It’s Not A Bird. It’s Not A Plane. It’s A Haps!," December 6, 2021
- "Captain’s Blog: Fly Me To The Moon," October 14, 2021
- "UPDATE: National Security Meets Teenage Dance Battles: U.S. Increases Pressure on ByteDance Sale of TikTok," August 17, 2020
- "Commerce Prioritizes Earth Selfies as It Seeks to Improve Remote Sensing Licensing," July 17, 2018
- "Once Bitten, Twice Shy: FCC Revisits Its Telemarketing Regulations In Light Of The DC Circuit’s Decision Striking Down Core Requirements," June 1, 2018
- "FCC Sets Sights on China," May 7, 2018
- "Chips on Their Shoulders: CFIUS Intervenes in Broadcom’s Hostile Takeover Bid for Qualcomm," March 8, 2017
- "FCC Proposes Expedited Treatment For New Technologies," February 28, 2018
- "Tracking Trends in CFIUS Review Process Based on Recently Released 2015 Annual Report," October 13, 2017
- "TCPA Update: FCC Seeks Guidance on Proposed Robocall-Blocking Rule," May 19, 2017
- "FCC Liberalizes Rules for Foreign Investment in U.S. Broadcast Licensees," October 17, 2016
- "Hailing on All Frequencies: The FCC Releases the Spectrum Frontiers Order," July 19, 2016
- "EXIM Bank Back in Business," December 9, 2015
- "Cyberspace Oddity: The FCC Regulates Internet Services as Common Carrier Telecommunications Services, ‘Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet,’” February 27, 2015.
- "Turnin’ Havana to Atlanta: The White House Opens Doors for U.S. Telecommunications Investment in Cuba and Latin America," December 19, 2014
- "The FCC Takes a Seat at the Cyber-Regulation Table," December 1, 2014
- "Shedding Light on CFIUS: Appeals Court Holds That CFIUS Review Lacks Constitutional Due Process," July 18, 2014
- "Supreme Court Sides with Broadcasters in Aereo Decision," June 30, 2014
- "Once More Unto the Breach: the FCC Calls for Comments on Revamping Net Neutrality Regulations," May 16, 2014
- "Regulatory Reminder: Annual CVAA Compliance Certifications due April 1," February 25, 2014
- "Auction 96 - FCC Prepares for Upcoming H Block Spectrum Auction," August 28, 2013
- "FCC Considers Proposal To Lift 25% Cap On Indirect Foreign Investment In Broadcast Licensees," April 22, 2013
- "Regulatory Reminder: CVAA Compliance Certifications due April 1," March 26, 2013
- "FCC Reminds Advanced Communications Services Providers and Equipment Manufacturers of CVAA Recordkeeping Obligations and Compliance Certification," February 12, 2013
- "FCC's New Closed Captioning Rules Kick Into Gear," September 7, 2012
- "Proposed Easing of Satellite Export Controls Could Benefit U.S. Satellite Industry," May 1, 2012
- "FCC Proposes to Grant DISH's Wish," March 23, 2012
- "CFIUS Submits Annual Report to Congress," January 30, 2012
- "FCC Approves Controversial Net Neutrality Rules," January 4, 2011
- "FCC And FDA Focused On Convergence Of Communications And Medical Systems," August 4, 2010
- "FCC Loses Net Neutrality Suit," April 7, 2010
- "FCC Initiates Net Neutrality Rulemaking," November 2, 2009
Global Trade Law Blog Posts
- "First-Ever Executive Order on CFIUS Highlights Biden’s National Security Priorities," September 20, 2022
"CFIUS Proposes Rules to Implement FIRRMA," September 20, 2019
- "FIRRMA Takes Form as CFIUS Enacts a New Pilot Program Targeting 'Critical Technologies'," October 11, 2018
- "FCC’s Foreign Media Reporting Requirements: Extension of FARA or New Domain?," September 20, 2018
Healthcare Law Blog
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- Law360, 01.02.2023
- Space Intel Report, 10.27.2021
- Communications Daily, 05.26.2020
- Law360, 01.22.2020
- Quartz, 12.20.2018
- Speaker, "72nd International Astronautical Congress GNF Session: “The Mega-Constellation Ecosystem: What industrial and regulatory elements are necessary for a thriving market?” October 26, 2021, Dubai, UAE
- Speaker, “CFIUS and Team Telecom: The New Frontier Under FIRRMA”, February 19, 2020, Washington, DC
- Panelist, "We Found a Breach During Due Diligence - Now What Do We Do?" M&A Conference at Wharton San Francisco, May 16, 2018
- Moderator, "Angels, Incubators, and Early Stage Venture Capital," Space 2.0 Conference, Silicon Valley, California, April 26, 2017
- Moderator, "Legal Mechanisms for Facilitating Space Collaboration," Fifth Annual Space and Satellite Regulatory Colloquium, Washington, D.C., October 20, 2016
- Panelist, "Emergent Space Systems: Regulatory Considerations," SSPI's Emergent Technologies Discussion, Washington, D.C., June 2016
- Guest Speaker, Fourth Annual Space and Satellite Regulatory Colloquium, Washington, D.C., October 2015
- Panelist, "Disruption in Space and Telecommunication," American Bar Association's Forum on Air and Space Law, Washington, D.C., June 2013
- Moderator, "Tribal Telecommunications Hurdles and Opportunities," NAFOA Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2012
- Panelist, "The Battle Over Spectrum and Its Implications for the Future of MSS Networks," Satellite 2012 Conference, Washington, D.C., March 2012
- George Chamberlin Interview with Michael Altschul, Brian Weimer, San Diego Daily Transcript, San Diego Source, San Diego, California, October 2011
- Panelist, "Opportunities and Threats for a New Decade," Satellite 2010 Conference, Washington, D.C., March 2010
- Moderator, "Satellites, Broadcasting and Cable TV," Satellite 2007 Conference, Washington, D.C., February 2007
- Panelist, "Hybrid Wireless Technologies," International Satellite Conference and Expo, San Diego, California, June 2006
- Moderator, "Managing Risk in a Risky Business," Satellite 2006 Conference, Washington, D.C., February 2006
- Panelist, "Mobile Satellite: New Systems, New Opportunities," Satellite 2005 Conference, Washington, D.C., March 2005
- Guest Speaker, "Media Ownership and the Information Battlefield," National Public Radio's WBUR, Boston, Massachusetts, January 2003
- Panelist, "Telecom Deals: M&A, Regulatory and Financing Issues," Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, July 2000
- Satellite to Cell Connectivity - Market Expectations and Technology, 10.17.2023
- IAF GNF Session: “The Mega-Constellation Ecosystem: What industrial and regulatory elements are necessary for a thriving market?”, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 10.26.2021
- Nomad's Paris, 09.10.2019
- June 26-27, 2019
- Baby Wale - Washington D.C., 05.08.2019
- Daroco, Paris, 09.11.2018
- Washington, D.C., 03.14.2018
- Washington, DC, 03.08.2017
- Sheppard Mullin's TCPA Webinar Series, 08.06.2015
- Satellite Export Control Update, Sheppard Mullin Washington, D.C. office, 03.20.2013
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1995, Olin Fellow in Law & Economics
B.A., University of Chicago, 1990, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia