Nota Bene Episode 72: Space Law: License, Launch, Finance, Insurance, and Responsible Space Stewardship with Brian Weimer
This conversation is out of this world! We’re exploring the laws and regulations surrounding satellites and the space telecommunications industry. Our guest, Brian Weimer, joins Michael Cohen to share his insight on the growth of the satellite industry over the years and the steps required to obtain the appropriate licenses and clearances to launch a satellite into space.
Brian Weimer is a corporate partner in Sheppard Mullin’s Washington, D.C. office and Leader of the firm's Communications Practice Group. Brian provides transactional and regulatory advice to clients in the telecommunications industry, with particular emphasis on satellite, wireless and media companies. He acts as corporate counsel to telecommunications companies in M&A and financing matters and also advises on Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulatory issues presented by these transactions.
What We Discuss in This Episode:
- How large is the satellite industry?
- What is space law in general?
- What are the steps involved in launching a satellite company?
- Which countries are leading the charge when it comes to space law?
- Why would a company choose to establish its satellite business in a country other than the U.S.?
- What are the two types of satellite systems?
- How has the satellite industry changed over the last 3-5 years?
- What type of insurance is needed to launch a satellite into space?
- How can an attorney help a multinational gain market access in other jurisdictions?
- What are radio frequency spectrum licenses and how valuable are they?