Bill Wyatt is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy and Corporate Practice Groups in the firm's Silicon Valley and San Francisco offices. He is also a member of the Asset-Based Lending Team.
Areas of Practice
Bill started as an associate at Sheppard Mullin in 1982 and became a partner in January 1990. He specializes in commercial law, real and personal property secured loan transactions, workouts and bankruptcy.
Bill has significant experience handling a broad range of financing transactions, including secured and unsecured credit facilities, bond and note financings, public finance transactions, letters of credit and other credit enhancements, derivative products, real property secured transactions, asset-based accounts, inventory and equipment financing transactions, equipment leasing transactions (including aircraft and rail) and project finance transactions. He has been involved in negotiating and documenting lines of credit secured by accounts, inventory, equipment and real estate, construction loans, and credit enhancements for tax-exempt bond and certificate of participation transactions. He also has experience with aircraft leasing and lending, ship financing, rail car and other types of equipment financing transactions, and has negotiated and documented both leveraged and non-leveraged leases of aircraft and rail equipment and manufacturing and medical facilities. Bill also regularly advises clients on swap and other derivatives transactions and related issues.
While his practice is focused primarily on transaction planning and documentation, he has substantial experience with loan workouts and the bankruptcy aspects of financial transactions. He has represented both institutional lenders, lessors and borrowers.
Represented domestic commercial bank in loan to aircraft lessor.
Representation of indenture trustee of certificate of participation issuance in Chapter 9 bankruptcy of the Richmond Unified School District
Representation of Wells Fargo Bank, Comerica Bank and Union Bank of California as issuers of direct-pay letters of credit to support variable rate bonds issued by the California Pollution Control Financing Authority
Representation of commercial finance company as purchaser of both taxable and tax-exempt bonds issued by the California State Community Development Authority and various city and county redevelopment authorities to finance various schools and healthcare facilities
Representation of Union Bank of California, as agent and lender in connection with a secured revolving mortgage warehouse facility to a leading housing tax credit syndicator
Representation of agent bank in connection with workout and restructure of a syndicated financing to a captive finance company making real estate secured development loans to national mini-storage developer
Best Lawyer in America, Banking and Finance, Best Lawyers, 2018-2022
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Sheppard Submits Comments to Main Street Loan Program," April 17, 2020
- Sheppard Mullin Represents Kratos Defense & Security Solutions Inc.San Diego Business Journal, 05.26.2014
- Sheppard Mullin Advises Kratos In $625 Million Note OfferingDaily Journal, 05.13.2014
- Sheppard Mullin Advises RadNet In Tender OfferDaily Journal, 03.11.2014
- Webinar, 12.08.2020
- Why The Boilerplate Is Important, Sheppard Mullin New York, 03.17.2016
- Detroit and the Future of Municipal Bankruptcy: What We've Learned, 04.30.2015
- Leverage Buyouts & Fraudulent Conveyances Risks, 07.23.2014
- Intercreditor Agreements – What and How to Negotiate Them to Get What You Need, 05.22.2014
- Municipal Bankruptcies - What To Learn From Detroit?, Sheppard Mullin New York, 03.11.2014
- Enforcement of Judgments - Between Contract Enforcement and Bankruptcy, Sheppard Mullin New York, 10.31.2013
- Real Estate Bankruptcy Issues: Cash Collateral, the Automatic Stay, Assignments of Rent, Lease Assumption and Rejection and Plan Issues, Sheppard Mullin New York, 04.12.2013
- Real Estate Bankruptcy Issues: Cash Collateral, the Automatic Stay, Assignments of Rent, Lease Assumption and Rejection and Plan Issues, Sheppard Mullin Washington, D.C., 04.08.2013
- The Future Of Metavante And Its Impact On New Financings Supported by Hedges, Sheppard Mullin New York, 01.16.2013
Member, Bar Association of San Francisco
Member, Corporation, Banking and Business Law and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections, American Bar Association
Member, Financial Lawyer's Conference, Bankruptcy Study Group
J.D., Stanford University, 1982
M.S.M.E., Purdue University, 1979
B.S.M.E., Purdue University, 1977, with distinction
- New York