Kevin Chang is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Kevin represents clients in high-stakes and complex commercial litigation matters, and regularly handles multi-party disputes involving contracts, trade secrets, corporate governance, construction and defect claims, employment claims, inverse condemnation and other strict liability claims, business tort, and fraud. Kevin routinely advises on and litigates contractual and employment disputes, manufacturer liability and personal injury lawsuits, trade secrets disputes, and consumer class actions touching on a wide variety of topics, including construction, employment, energy, environmental, statutory, technology, and shareholder rights issues.
Kevin has extensive trial experience, including before the Delaware Chancery Court, federal bankruptcy courts in Texas, Delaware, and Ohio, and state and federal courts in California. Kevin also has extensive arbitration experience, and has appeared on behalf of clients in arbitrations before JAMS, the American Arbitration Association, and the International Court of Arbitration. Kevin’s practice also includes government and internal investigations, regulatory proceedings, and restructuring and claims proceedings.
In addition, Kevin has significant pro bono experience, including representing asylum seekers in immigration courts in both San Francisco and San Diego. Kevin has successfully argued for and obtained asylum on behalf of two pro bono clients, and has also obtained U visas for other pro bono clients.
Kevin is dedicated to diversity issues, and is a member of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association and Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego. Kevin is also a member of the San Diego Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, where he serves on the Special Events Committee. Kevin is also a member of the firm’s Recruiting Committee.
- Represent an engineering firm in connection with the pursuit of delay, disruption and scope change claims relating to the California Highspeed Railway Project.
- Represent a healthcare provider in connection with claims against the general contractor and the design team arising out of the design and construction of a psychiatric hospital.
- Represent a privately-held food and beverage company in an ownership dispute involving contractual, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represent a biotechnology company in a federal lawsuit and private arbitration involving claims of trade secret misappropriation and patent infringement.
- Represent a natural gas and electric utility in a lease dispute involving a decommissioned power generation plant and its cooling water tunnels.
- Represent a business enterprise owned and operated by a federally-recognized Indian Tribe in a state lawsuit and private arbitration involving claims of construction defects and breach of contract.
- Advise a Chinese technology company in a federal lawsuit involving claims of trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, and various tort claims.
- Advise a body scanner manufacturer regarding defamation and various other tort claims.
- Represented a coal plant operator in litigation matters across various bankruptcy, federal, and appellate court proceedings relating to counter-party’s rejection of an inter-company power purchase agreement.
- Represented a on- and off-road vehicle manufacturer in personal injury matters relating to its various product lines.
- Represented a private equity firm in action brought by former executive of one of its portfolio companies and successfully compelled arbitration as to all claims.
- Represented a cash management system manufacturer in a lawsuit involving claims of breach of contract and misappropriation of confidential information.
- Represented a private equity firm in federal and state consumer class actions alleging violations of California and federal statutes.
- Advised a power generation company in a wide range of pre-litigation matters, including contract termination and sale-leaseback disputes.
- Advised an oil and gas company and its affiliates during their Chapter 11 restructuring.
Ones to Watch — Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2021-2023
San Diego Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2023
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego
Federal Bar Association – San Diego Chapter
J.D., Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, 2014, cum laude
B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 2010
- Extern to the Honorable Rubén Castillo, former Chief Judge for the Northern District of Illinois
- California Federal District Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit