- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 1985, (Order of the Coif)
- B.B.A., University of Iowa, 1982, (with high distinction)
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
Kenneth Rechtoris is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Rechtoris has tried numerous jury and bench trials to conclusion in state and federal courts throughout the country. He has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, including complex contractual disputes, securities fraud, securities and consumer credit class actions, shareholder derivative actions, multi-district litigation, real estate disputes, partnership disputes, commercial tort cases, insurance coverage disputes and restrictive covenant litigation.
Mr. Rechtoris’ litigation experience includes the representation of mutual funds and fund trustees, numerous Fortune 500 companies in securities, professional liability and commercial disputes, various large financial institutions in putative class actions, large insurance brokers, and Cook County in employment and litigation matters. He also regularly handles appellate matters.
Mr. Rechtoris was a partner at Bell, Boyd & Lloyd from 1992 until its combination with K&L Gates LLP. He served on the Executive Committee from 1999-2003. He was an associate at Bell Boyd from 1985-1992.
- Securities Litigation. Successfully defended numerous Fortune 500 and private companies in litigation involving claims under the federal securities laws and state unfair trade practice statutes.
- Mutual Fund Litigation (various venues). Represented numerous mutual funds, investment advisers to mutual funds and the independent trustees of various mutual funds, named as defendants in putative class and derivative actions filed in state and federal courts across the country. The complaints assert various theories of liability arising under the Investment Company Act.
- Consumer Financial Services Litigation. Successfully defending various financial institutions in lawsuits involving claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Truth in Lending Act.
- Real Estate Litigation. Represented the world’s largest producer of potash in a case involving contract, tort and fraud claims. Mr. Rechtoris recently obtained the complete dismissal of all claims seeking multi-millions of dollars against the client.
- Toxic Tort. Tried a significant property damage and lost profits claim for a Fortune 500 company arising from an explosion at a heat treating facility and obtained a defense jury verdict on all claims.
- Breach of Contract Litigation. Represented numerous Fortune 500 corporations in various contractual disputes in the hazardous waste disposal, agricultural, media, pharamceutical and professional services industries. Defended a large pharmaceutical company in a state court bench trial lasting over four months which favorably resulted in a multi-million judgment on the client’s counterclaim in a complex contract case arising out of a divestiture.
- Business Valuation. Represented a New York publisher in a case alleging the destruction of plaintiff’s business caused by the alleged failure to provide ad space in computer magazines published by the client. He previously obtained a $6.5 million judgment for the client in the case.
- Professional Negligence. Defended one of the world’s largest insurance brokers against professional negligence claims in an eight-week jury trial in San Francisco. Obtained a highly advantageous settlement while the jury was deliberating.
- Product Liability. Defended one of the world’s largest manufacturers and distributors of automobile tires in numerous cases filed throughout the Midwest alleging defects causing roll-over automobile accidents.
- Restrictive Covenant Litigation. Successfully defended numerous individuals and companies sued for the alleged breach of restrictive non-compete and non-solicitation covenants. In one case, his client was awarded 100% of its defense costs by the Court.
- Insurance Coverage. Obtained a multi-million dollar recovery for the Special Deputy Receiver in a case brought against the directors and officers of an insolvent insurance company.
- Lender Liability. Tried a two-week bench trial in Waukegan, Illinois in a lender liability case and obtained a significant judgment for the client.
- Minority Shareholder Oppression. Tried a shareholder oppression case on behalf of a minority shareholder in a graphics art company and obtained a multi-million dollar judgment.
- Real Estate Litigation. Successfully defended a building developer/manager in a tenant lawsuit seeking to enjoin the construction of a premiere building in Chicago’s Gold Coast area.
- Grand/Ohio Real Estate Litigation. Represented a major real estate developer against the contract seller of a valuable, high-profile commercial property in Chicago’s Gold Coast. The property was conveyed to the client in conformance with the contract.
- Partnership Disputes. Successfully prosecuted statutory claims on behalf of a general partner seeking recovery of the fair value of his interests in a real estate limited partnership.
- Municipal Representation. Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of a municipal airport against certain of its operators and managers. Represented the City of Chicago, pension boards and certain Aldermen in various litigation matters.
- SEC Enforcement Actions. Successfully defended an individual in an action brought by the SEC on inside trading allegations. The SEC dropped the case after the client’s Wells submission. He has defended numerous individuals, including trustees and directors, in SEC investigations.
- Insurance Coverage. Has both prosecuted and defended significant, multi-million dollar coverage claims under CGL, errors and omission, directors and officers extra-expense, and performance guarantee policies.
- Insurance Errors and Omissions. Defended various large manufacturers in product liability cases, involving automobile parts, electronic equipment, industrial machinery and tires.
- The State of Illinois. Tried a two-week trial in federal district court which resulted in the abandonment by the state of Illinois of the Circuit Rider program for Illinois prisoners.
- Cook County Sheriff. Successfully defended the Cook County Sheriff in various cases alleging civil rights violations.
- Editor, Illinois Contract Litigation (2015 ed.)
Corporate and Securities Law Blog Posts
- Numerous speaking engagements before client and professional groups
- Numerous CLE programs on litigation practices
- General Counsel Forum – The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
- Active on numerous boards for township groups and committees for St. Norbert parish