- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 1985, (Order of the Coif)
- B.B.A., University of Iowa, 1982, (with high distinction)
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
Kenneth Rechtoris is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Rechtoris has tried numerous jury and bench trials to conclusion in state and federal courts throughout the country. He has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, including complex contractual disputes, securities fraud, securities and consumer credit class actions, shareholder derivative actions, multi-district litigation, real estate disputes, partnership disputes, commercial tort cases, insurance coverage disputes and restrictive covenant litigation.
Mr. Rechtoris’ litigation experience includes the representation of mutual funds and fund trustees, numerous Fortune 500 companies in securities, professional liability and commercial disputes, various large financial institutions in putative class actions, large insurance brokers, and Cook County in employment and litigation matters. He also regularly handles appellate matters.
Mr. Rechtoris was a partner at Bell, Boyd & Lloyd from 1992 until its combination with K&L Gates LLP. He served on the Executive Committee from 1999-2003. He was an associate at Bell Boyd from 1985-1992.
- Breach of Contract Litigation. Represented numerous Fortune 500 companies in wide-ranging contractual disputes in the agricultural, construction, gaming, pharmaceutical, waste disposal and professional services industries. Obtained multi-million dollar judgments for several corporations and numerous defense verdicts.
- Commercial Contract Drafting, Negotiation and Dispute Resolution. Represent a major agricultural machinery company in ongoing supply management, logistics, contractual and product recall matters.
- Real Estate Litigation. Recently obtained a $10 million jury verdict in favor of a landowner against a railroad seeking to exercise eminent domain rights. Represented numerous developers, land owners, landlords and partnerships on myriad real estate and improved property disputes.
- Insurance Coverage Litigation. Represented various insurance companies on errors and omissions and specialty line coverage matters. Obtained a multi-million dollar recovery for the Specialty Deputy Receiver of Illinois in a case brought against the directors and officers of an insolvent insurance company.
- Professional Negligence. Represented accounting firms, insurance brokers and engineers in professional negligence actions. Successfully defended one of the world's largest insurance brokers against professional negligence claims in an eight-week jury trial in San Francisco.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution. Represented numerous clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings across the country.
- Business Valuation. Represented a New York publisher in a case alleging the destruction of plaintiff's business caused by the alleged failure to provide ad space in computer magazines published by the client. Previously obtained a $6.5 million judgment for the client in the case.
- Toxic Tort. Tried a significant property damage and lost profits claim for a Fortune 500 company arising from an explosion at a heat treating facility and obtained a defense jury verdict on all claims.
- Product Liability. Defended one of the world's largest manufacturers and distributors of automobile tires in numerous cases filed throughout the Midwest alleging defects causing roll-over automobile accidents.
- Securities Litigation. Successfully defended numerous Fortune 500 and private companies in litigation involving claims under the federal securities laws and state unfair trade practice statutes.
- Mutual Fund Litigation. Represented numerous mutual funds, investment advisers and the independent trustees of various mutual funds named as defendants in putative class and derivative actions filed in state and federal courts across the country. The complaints asserted various theories of liability arising under the Investment Company Act.
- Restrictive Covenant Litigation. Successfully defended numerous individuals and companies sued for the alleged breach of restrictive non-compete and non-solicitation covenants. In one case, the client was awarded 100% of its defense costs by the Court.
- Lender Liability. Tried a two-week bench trial in Waukegan, Illinois in a lender liability case and obtained a significant judgment for the client.
- Minority Shareholder Oppression. Tried a shareholder oppression case on behalf of a minority shareholder in a graphics art company and obtained a multi-million dollar judgment.
- Partnership Disputes. Successfully prosecuted statutory claims on behalf of a general partner seeking recovery of the fair value of his interests in a real estate limited partnership.
- Municipal Representation. Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of a municipal airport against certain of its operators and managers. Represented the City of Chicago, pension boards and certain Alderman in various litigation matters.
- SEC Enforcement Actions. Successfully defended an individual in an action brought by the SEC on inside trading allegations. The SEC dropped the case after the client's Wells submission. Defended numerous individuals, including trustees and directors in SEC investigations.
- The State of Illinois. Tried a two-week trial in federal district court which resulted in the abandonment by the state of Illinois of the Circuit Rider program for Illinois prisoners.
- Cook County Sheriff. Successfully defended the Cook County Sheriff in various cases alleging civil rights violations.
- Editor, Illinois Contract Litigation (2015 ed.)
Corporate and Securities Law Blog Posts
- Relativity, August 23, 2018
- Numerous speaking engagements before client and professional groups
- Numerous CLE programs on litigation practices
- General Counsel Forum – The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
- Active on numerous boards for township groups and committees for St. Norbert parish