Kristi L. Thomas is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office. She serves on the firm's Recruiting Committee and is a member of the Wellness Resources Group.
Areas of Practice
Kristi’s practice involves representing employers in the defense of complaints for class action and single-plaintiff matters. Kristi has handled all aspects of civil litigation defense, including taking and defending depositions, law and motion practice, mediation, arbitration, and second-chairing multiple trials to defense verdict.
Kristi also provides day-to-day counseling on a wide variety of labor and employment law issues, including wage-and-hour issues, disability and family/medical leave issues, discipline, and termination.
Kristi began her legal career in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2008, where she defended nationally-ranked hospitals and professionals. Kristi became a member of the State Bar of California in 2011, and thereafter gained significant experience in complex litigation before joining the Sheppard Mullin team.
Labor and Employment Law Blog
- "Mother of All Presumptions 2.0: Expanding Workers Compensation Benefits to Employees That Test Positive for COVID-19," September 23, 2020
- "Mother of Presumptions: Employees With COVID-19 Presumed to Have Contracted Virus From Exposure at Work," May 8, 2020
- "Workers’ Compensation Claims During the Pandemic and Mitigating the Risk," April 28, 2020
- "California Mandates COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for Food Sector Workers," April 17, 2020
- "Ninth Circuit Holds That Statutes Do Not Constitute “Rules or Regulations of the SEC” for Purposes of Sarbanes-Oxley Act Whistleblower Claims," March 4, 2019
- "New California Law Puts an End to Secret Sexual Harassment Settlements," October 1, 2018
- Presented by Kristi Thomas, 08.14.2019
Member, Orange County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 2007, cum laude, Internal Editor of the Widener Law Journal, Dean’s Honors
B.A., University of Pittsburgh, 2004, cum Laude, Dean's Honors
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California