Kristi L. Thomas is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office. She serves on the firm's Recruiting Committee, Sustainability Committee and is a member of the Wellness Resources Group. She is also actively involved in pro bono work at the firm.
Areas of Practice
Kristi’s practice involves representing employers in the defense of complaints for class action and single-plaintiff matters. Kristi has handled all aspects of civil litigation defense, including taking and defending depositions, law and motion practice, mediation, arbitration, and second-chairing multiple trials to defense verdict.
Kristi also provides day-to-day counseling on a wide variety of labor and employment law issues, including wage-and-hour issues, disability and family/medical leave issues, discipline, and termination. She conducts supervisor and non-supervisor trainings on behalf of clients regarding sexual harassment and workplace behavior.
Kristi began her legal career in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2008, where she defended nationally-ranked hospitals and professionals. Kristi became a member of the State Bar of California in 2011, and thereafter gained significant experience in complex litigation before joining the Sheppard Mullin team.
- DFEH Issues Guidance to Employers Regarding Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policies
San Mateo County Bar Association Here-Say Newsletter, 05/06.2021
Labor and Employment Law Blog
- "California Supreme Court Announces New Standard That Meal and Rest Period Premiums Must Be Paid at Same “Regular Rate of Pay” Used to Calculate Overtime Payments," July 16, 2021
- "DFEH Issues Guidance to Employers Regarding Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policies," March 11, 2021
- "Employment, Tax, and Visa Issues Associated With the Overseas Telecommuter," September 30, 2020
- "Mother of All Presumptions 2.0: Expanding Workers Compensation Benefits to Employees That Test Positive for COVID-19," September 23, 2020
- "Mother of Presumptions: Employees With COVID-19 Presumed to Have Contracted Virus From Exposure at Work," May 8, 2020
- "Workers’ Compensation Claims During the Pandemic and Mitigating the Risk," April 28, 2020
- "California Mandates COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for Food Sector Workers," April 17, 2020
- "Ninth Circuit Holds That Statutes Do Not Constitute “Rules or Regulations of the SEC” for Purposes of Sarbanes-Oxley Act Whistleblower Claims," March 4, 2019
- "New California Law Puts an End to Secret Sexual Harassment Settlements," October 1, 2018
- "Returning to Work During the COVID Pandemic," Orange County Bar Association Mommy Esq. Committee Webinar, September 21, 2021
- Expanding Workers’ Compensation Benefits to Employees that Test Positive for COVID-19: New California Law, Senate Bill 1159Federal Bar Association Webinar, 10.21.2020
- Presented by Kristi Thomas, 08.14.2019
Member, Orange County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Labor and Employment Litigation
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 2007, cum laude, Internal Editor of the Widener Law Journal, Dean’s Honors
B.A., University of Pittsburgh, 2004, cum Laude, Dean's Honors
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California