- J.D., Columbia University, 2005, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Leo Caseria is a partner in the Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in the Los Angeles office of Sheppard Mullin.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Caseria's practice focuses on advising companies on antitrust issues arising in connection with mergers, acquisitions, technology transactions, licensing agreements, and also in connection with civil litigation. He regularly advises companies regarding the requirements under the Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) Act, and has prepared numerous HSR filings. Mr. Caseria has also represented clients before the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in connection with government antitrust investigations. He has also litigated a wide variety of antitrust cases in federal and state courts including price-fixing, market allocation, boycott, monopolization, and attempted monopolization cases.
Mr. Caseria serves as Co-Chair of the Books & Treatises Committee of the American Bar Association's Section of Antitrust Law. Mr. Caseria frequently edits or contributes to the Section’s antitrust handbooks, and has also authored articles for SCOTUSblog and the New York Law Journal.
- Antitrust, Legal 500, 2015, 2017
- Defending CalPortland against False Claims Act claims premised on alleged conspiracy to fix prices and allocate markets relating to cement, concrete and asphalt. All claims dismissed. U.S. ex rel. Rune Kraft v. CalPortland Construction, Case No. 16-4479 (C.D. Cal.) (Order and Statement of Decision dated March 9, 2018).
- Defending telescope manufacturer against Sherman Act Section 1 and 2 claims and Clayton Act Section 7 claims. All claims dismissed. Optronic Technologies, Inc. v. Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd., Case No. 16-6370 (N.D. Cal. Order dated Sept. 28, 2017).
- Representing Samsung in global patent and standards related antitrust matters.
- Defending The Reynolds and Reynolds Company against state and federal antitrust claims relating to data management system access. Sherman Act Section 2 claims and related state law claims dismissed. Motor Vehicle Software Corporation v. CDK Global, Inc., Case No. 17-896 (C.D. Cal. Order dated Oct. 2, 2017).
- Defended The Reynolds and Reynolds Company against claims relating to data management system access. Data Software Services, LLC v. The Reynolds and Reynolds Company, Case No. 17-1347 (C.D. Cal.)
- Defended Samsung SDI against price-fixing actions brought by Attorneys General of Illinois, Oregon and Washington. In Oregon, on a motion argued by Mr. Caseria, Samsung SDI obtained an order capping the State of Oregon’s potential antitrust civil penalties to a maximum of $2.5 million, subject to possible additional reductions, as opposed to the $375 million sought by the State. State of Oregon v. LG Electronics, Inc., Case No. 1208-10246 (County of Multnomah, Order dated Nov. 23, 2016).
- Defended Samsung SDI against price-fixing claims involving cathode ray tubes (CRT). In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litig., MDL. No. 1917 (N.D. Cal.)
- Defended Samsung SDI against multi-billion dollar price-fixing claim brought by Motorola. Claims dismissed just before trial. Motorola Mobility LLC v. AU Optronics Corporation, 09-cv-6610 (N.D. Ill.)
- Defended Samsung SDI against price-fixing claims involving thin film transistor liquid crystal display products. In re TFT-LCD (FLAT PANEL) Antitrust Litigation, MDL. No 1827 (N.D. Cal.)
- Represented Diamond Electric in international price-fixing investigation in the automotive sector.
- Defended Samsung Electronics against multi-billion dollar group boycott claim brought by Rambus under California’s Cartwright Act concerning a certain type of DRAM. Rambus Inc. v. Micron Technology Inc., 04-0431105 (San Francisco Superior Court)
- Defended Samsung against federal and state antitrust claims brought by direct and indirect purchasers of SRAM alleging horizontal conspiracy to exchange information for the purpose of fixing prices. In re SRAM Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1819 (N.D. Cal.)
- Defended Live Nation and Clear Channel against Sherman Act § 2 monopolization claims brought by a purported class of purchasers of rock concert tickets. In re Live Concert Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1745 (C.D. Cal.)
- Defended Philip Morris against Sherman Act § 1 challenge to the $246 billion dollar Master Settlement Agreement between leading tobacco companies and 46 states. Contributed to successful U.S. Supreme Court brief in opposition to petition for certiorari following favorable ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Sanders v. Brown, 540 F.3d 903 (9th Cir. 2007).
- CPI Antitrust Chronicle, January 2018
- "Opinion analysis: A class action waiver in an arbitration agreement will be strictly enforced under the Federal Arbitration Act," SCOTUSblog, June 21, 2013
- "Argument recap: Can arbitration agreements with class action waivers survive in the face of the effective vindication doctrine?" SCOTUSblog, March 4, 2013
- "Argument preview: Under what circumstances are arbitration agreements with class action waivers enforceable?" SCOTUSblog, February 22, 2013
- "Challenge to Alleged Restraints on Baseball and Hockey Programming Survive Motion to Dismiss," Sports Litigation Alert, December 28, 2012
- "Using Prior Expert Testimony Requires Extra Effort," New York Law Journal, July 18, 2011
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," January 26, 2018
- "Antitrust Claims Against Telescope Manufacturer Ningbo Sunny Dismissed and Shot into Space," October 16, 2017
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," January 20, 2017
- "Maximum Civil Penalties for HSR Violations to Increase to $40,000 per Day," June 30, 2016
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," January 21, 2016
- "SD3 v. Black & Decker (U.S.), Inc. – District Judge Axes Complaint Alleging Table Saw Safety Standards Conspiracy," August 4, 2014
- "Dang v. San Francisco Forty Niners - Consumers can challenge Reebok's exclusive NFL apparel deal based just on a market of garments bearing NFL team logos," August 7, 2013
- "American Express Co. v. Italian Colors Restaurant: A class action waiver in an arbitration agreement will be strictly enforced under the Federal Arbitration Act," June 25, 2013
- "Challenge To Alleged Restraints On Baseball And Hockey Programming Survive Motion To Dismiss And Advance To The Next Round Of Litigation," December 19, 2012
- "Supreme Court Will Now Hear Two Appeals Concerning Class Arbitration," December 14, 2012
- "Supreme Court to Address Enforceability of Arbitration Agreements and Class Action Waivers Yet Again," November 19, 2012
- "In re American Express Merchants' Litigation - Plaintiffs Survive Three Rounds In The Second Circuit, But Can They Survive The Supreme Court?" February 7, 2012
- "Wal-Mart v. Dukes: Implications For Antitrust Class Actions," July 11, 2011
- "AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion - What Does It Mean For Class Arbitration And Class Actions In Federal Antitrust Cases?", May 13, 2011
- "Blue Skies For Continental Airlines In Bid To Join Star Alliance", August 12, 2009
- "Plaintiffs Granted Leave to Amend Complaint Alleging Monopolization of Grapes Under Walker Process Theory", April 13, 2009
- "Complaint Alleging Conspiracy to Fix LTL Freight Fuel Surcharges Dismissed", March 6, 2009
Antitrust Books and Handbooks
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Handbook on Antitrust in Technology Industries, 2017
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, State Action Practice Manual, Third Edition, 2017
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Antitrust Evidence Handbook, Third Edition, 2016
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Handbook on the Scope of Antitrust, 2015
- Contributor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2012 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments, 2013
- Senior Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Handbook on Multijurisdictional Competition Law Investigations, 2010
- No Evidence of California 'Cement Cartel' Conspiracy, Judge RulesDaily Journal, March 14, 2018
- Apple, Samsung Fight Qualcomm Bid For Confidential DealLaw360, March 7, 2018
- Car Dealer Software Antitrust Suits Consolidated In IllLaw360, February 1, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Helps Surveillance and Defense Industry Service Providers Combine in $180M DealDaily Journal, January 9, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Guides Alaska Permanent Fund Corp. In Generate Capital’s $200M Capital RaiseDaily Transcript, December 26, 2017
- Electronic Vehicle Registration Co. Alleges Antitrust SchemeLaw360, May 2, 2017
- Don't Miss It: Hot Deals & Firms We're Following This WeekLaw360, July 1, 2016
- Don't Miss It: Hot Deals & Firms We're Following This WeekLaw360, February 26, 2016
- Corporate Counsel, September 4, 2015
- "Joint Conduct 101: Information Exchange," ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Joint Conduct Committee, October 20, 2016.
- Co-Chair, Books and Treatises Committee of the ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2016-2018)
- State Bar of California, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section
- Vice Chair, Books and Treatises Committee of the ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2014-2015)