Leo Caseria is a partner in the Antitrust and Competition Practice Group in the Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles offices of Sheppard Mullin.
Areas of Practice
Leo advises companies on antitrust issues arising in connection with civil litigation, government investigations, mergers and acquisitions and proposed or contemplated business strategies. He has litigated numerous antitrust cases in federal and state courts, including cases based on alleged price-fixing, market allocation, boycott, monopolization and attempted monopolization.
Leo recently obtained orders from several courts dismissing or significantly limiting antitrust claims against clients in a wide variety of industries, including automotive data management systems, consumer telescopes, consumer electronics and cement and concrete. He also regularly advises companies regarding the requirements under the Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) Act, prepares numerous HSR filings and works with economists to prepare submissions and presentations to government antitrust enforcers regarding proposed transactions. Leo represents clients before the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in connection with government antitrust investigations.
Leo serves as Co-Chair of the Books and Treatises Committee of the American Bar Association's Section of Antitrust Law. He frequently edits or contributes to the Section’s antitrust handbooks, and also authored articles for SCOTUSblog and the New York Law Journal. He has been recognized as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers and in Legal 500.
- Defending CalPortland against False Claims Act claims premised on alleged conspiracy to fix prices and allocate markets relating to cement, concrete and asphalt. All claims dismissed. U.S. ex rel. Rune Kraft v. CalPortland Construction, Case No. 16-4479 (C.D. Cal.) (Order and Statement of Decision dated March 9, 2018).
- Defending telescope manufacturer against Sherman Act Section 1 and 2 claims and Clayton Act Section 7 claims. All claims in original complaint dismissed. Optronic Technologies, Inc. v. Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd., Case No. 16-6370 (N.D. Cal. Order dated Sept. 28, 2017). Following amended complaint, claims based on below cost pricing, refusal to deal and conspiracy to prevent plaintiff from acquiring a telescope company defeated at summary judgment. Order dated Sept. 20, 2019.
- Representing Samsung in global patent and standards related antitrust matters.
- Defending The Reynolds and Reynolds Company against state and federal antitrust claims relating to data management system access. Monopolization and attempted monopolization claims dismissed. Motor Vehicle Software Corporation v. CDK Global, Inc., Case No. 17-896 (C.D. Cal. Order dated Oct. 2, 2017).
- Defended The Reynolds and Reynolds Company against claims relating to data management system access. Plaintiff's request for temporary restraining order denied. Data Software Services, LLC v. The Reynolds and Reynolds Company, Case No. 17-1347 (C.D. Cal.).
- Defended Samsung SDI against price-fixing actions brought by Oregon Attorney General. On a motion argued by Leo, Samsung SDI obtained an order capping the State of Oregon’s potential antitrust civil penalties to a maximum of $2.5 million, subject to possible additional reductions, as opposed to the $375 million sought by the State. State of Oregon v. LG Electronics, Inc., Case No. 1208-10246 (County of Multnomah, Order dated Nov. 23, 2016).
- Defended Samsung SDI against price-fixing claims involving cathode ray tubes (CRT). In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litig., MDL. No. 1917 (N.D. Cal.).
- Defended Samsung SDI against multi-billion dollar price-fixing claim brought by Motorola. Claims dismissed just before trial. Motorola Mobility LLC v. AU Optronics Corporation, 09-cv-6610 (N.D. Ill.).
- Defended Samsung SDI against price-fixing claims involving thin film transistor liquid crystal display products. In re TFT-LCD (FLAT PANEL) Antitrust Litigation, MDL. No 1827 (N.D. Cal.).
- Represented Diamond Electric in international price-fixing investigation in the automotive sector.
- Defended Samsung Electronics against multi-billion dollar group boycott claim brought by Rambus under California’s Cartwright Act concerning a certain type of DRAM. Rambus Inc. v. Micron Technology Inc., 04-0431105 (San Francisco Superior Court).
- Defended Samsung against federal and state antitrust claims brought by direct and indirect purchasers of SRAM alleging horizontal conspiracy to exchange information for the purpose of fixing prices. In re SRAM Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1819 (N.D. Cal.).
- Defended Live Nation and Clear Channel against Sherman Act § 2 monopolization claims brought by a purported class of purchasers of rock concert tickets. In re Live Concert Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1745 (C.D. Cal.).
- Defended Philip Morris against Sherman Act § 1 challenge to the $246 billion dollar Master Settlement Agreement between leading tobacco companies and 46 states. Contributed to successful U.S. Supreme Court brief in opposition to petition for certiorari following favorable ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Sanders v. Brown, 540 F.3d 903 (9th Cir. 2007).
Next Generation Lawyers, Legal 500, 2019
Antitrust, Legal 500, 2015, 2017, 2019
Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Vitamin C and the Future of U.S. Antitrust Enforcement Against Chinese CompaniesThe Legal 500 - Cartels Country Comparative Guide, 04.03.2019
- CPI Antitrust Chronicle, 01.2018
- "Opinion analysis: A class action waiver in an arbitration agreement will be strictly enforced under the Federal Arbitration Act," SCOTUSblog, June 21, 2013
- "Argument recap: Can arbitration agreements with class action waivers survive in the face of the effective vindication doctrine?" SCOTUSblog, March 4, 2013
- "Argument preview: Under what circumstances are arbitration agreements with class action waivers enforceable?" SCOTUSblog, February 22, 2013
- "Challenge to Alleged Restraints on Baseball and Hockey Programming Survive Motion to Dismiss," Sports Litigation Alert, December 28, 2012
- "Using Prior Expert Testimony Requires Extra Effort," New York Law Journal, July 18, 2011
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," January 26, 2018
- "Antitrust Claims Against Telescope Manufacturer Ningbo Sunny Dismissed and Shot into Space," October 16, 2017
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," January 20, 2017
- "Maximum Civil Penalties for HSR Violations to Increase to $40,000 per Day," June 30, 2016
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," January 21, 2016
- "SD3 v. Black & Decker (U.S.), Inc. – District Judge Axes Complaint Alleging Table Saw Safety Standards Conspiracy," August 4, 2014
- "Dang v. San Francisco Forty Niners - Consumers can challenge Reebok's exclusive NFL apparel deal based just on a market of garments bearing NFL team logos," August 7, 2013
- "American Express Co. v. Italian Colors Restaurant: A class action waiver in an arbitration agreement will be strictly enforced under the Federal Arbitration Act," June 25, 2013
- "Challenge To Alleged Restraints On Baseball And Hockey Programming Survive Motion To Dismiss And Advance To The Next Round Of Litigation," December 19, 2012
- "Supreme Court Will Now Hear Two Appeals Concerning Class Arbitration," December 14, 2012
- "Supreme Court to Address Enforceability of Arbitration Agreements and Class Action Waivers Yet Again," November 19, 2012
- "In re American Express Merchants' Litigation - Plaintiffs Survive Three Rounds In The Second Circuit, But Can They Survive The Supreme Court?" February 7, 2012
- "Wal-Mart v. Dukes: Implications For Antitrust Class Actions," July 11, 2011
- "AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion - What Does It Mean For Class Arbitration And Class Actions In Federal Antitrust Cases?", May 13, 2011
- "Blue Skies For Continental Airlines In Bid To Join Star Alliance", August 12, 2009
- "Plaintiffs Granted Leave to Amend Complaint Alleging Monopolization of Grapes Under Walker Process Theory", April 13, 2009
- "Complaint Alleging Conspiracy to Fix LTL Freight Fuel Surcharges Dismissed", March 6, 2009
Antitrust Books and Handbooks
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Handbook on Antitrust in Technology Industries, 2017
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, State Action Practice Manual, Third Edition, 2017
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Antitrust Evidence Handbook, Third Edition, 2016
- Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Handbook on the Scope of Antitrust, 2015
- Contributor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2012 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments, 2013
- Senior Editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Handbook on Multijurisdictional Competition Law Investigations, 2010
- Daily Journal, 06.04.2019
- Global Legal Chronicle, 05.23.2019
- Daily Journal, 03.14.2018
- Apple, Samsung Fight Qualcomm Bid For Confidential DealLaw360, 03.07.2018
- Car Dealer Software Antitrust Suits Consolidated In IllLaw360, 02.01.2018
- Sheppard Mullin Helps Surveillance and Defense Industry Service Providers Combine in $180M DealDaily Journal, 01.09.2018
- Sheppard Mullin Guides Alaska Permanent Fund Corp. In Generate Capital’s $200M Capital RaiseDaily Transcript, 12.26.2017
- Electronic Vehicle Registration Co. Alleges Antitrust SchemeLaw360, 05.02.2017
- Law360, 07.01.2016
- Law360, 02.26.2016
- Corporate Counsel, 09.04.2015
- "Joint Conduct 101: Information Exchange," ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Joint Conduct Committee, October 20, 2016
Co-Chair, Books and Treatises Committee, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2016-2019
Member, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section, State Bar of California
Vice Chair, Books and Treatises Committee, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2014-2015
- Antitrust and Competition
- International Reach
J.D., Columbia University, 2005, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2002
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California