Foreign Language Bio
- Real Estate, Land Use
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1985, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1982, with high honors
- Master of Accounting Science, University of Illinois, 1982
- Passed Certified Public Accountant Exam, 1982
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Lawrence Eppley is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office, where he is also the Office Managing Partner.
Areas of Practice
He concentrates his practice in acquisition, real estate finance, development, public and private finance, joint ventures and raising equity particularly in the hospitality sector. He was general counsel to Potbelly Sandwich Works, one of Chicago's fastest growing companies, and his clients rely on him as their principal outside legal counsel. He has considerable experience with middle market and emerging growth companies, including those in the hospitality and restaurant sectors, and with structured and institutional finance.
Mr. Eppley was named as one of Law360's Hospitality MVPs in both 2013 and 2016 for his extensive work in major transactions geared towards hotel development.
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2014-2017
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Real Estate and Construction, Legal 500, 2014-2016
- Hospitality MVP, Law360, 2013, 2016
- Designated a "Distinguished Graduate of the College of Law" by the University of Illinois School of Law, 2002
- Represent clients in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of hotel projects throughout the United States.
- Represent foreign investors in connection with U.S. real estate assets.
- Represent emerging growth restaurant companies.
- Represent major financial service institutions in connection with real estate financings.
- Served as General Counsel of Potbelly Sandwich Works.
- 168 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL
- 850 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL
- The View, Jersey City, NJ
- Bay Harbor Hotel, Tampa, FL
- Ventana Inn, Big Sur, CA
- Viera Manor, Melbourne, FL
- Carmel Valley Ranch, Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA
- Mondrian Soho, New York, NY
- Essex Inn, Chicago, IL
- 29-26 Northern Blvd., Long Island City, NY
- 45-40 Vernon Blvd., Long Island City, NY
- B Ocean Hotel, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Trump Soho, New York City, NY
- Commune Hotel, New York City, NY
- CAA Building Hotel, Chicago, IL
- Hotel Lincoln, Chicago, IL
- Crown Miami Beach Hotel, Miami, FL
- 360 North Michigan Avenue Building Hotel, Chicago, IL
- 330 North Wabash (former IBM Building), Chicago, IL
- 127 West Huron, Chicago, IL
- Temple Building Hotel, Boston, MA
- Wyndham Chicago, 633 St. Clair, Chicago, IL
- Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel, New York City, NY
- Radisson Lexington Hotel, New York City, NY
- Hotel Cass Chicago, Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL
- Felix Hotel, River North, Chicago, IL
Mr. Eppley has written articles on subjects of commercial real estate for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education and has lectured for CLE International, Inc. He is a contributing author for IICLE's Commercial Landlord-Tenant Practice, 2015 Edition.
- "Hotel Transactions in Illinois," Lawline, May 12, 2017
- Law360 Hospitality Editorial Advisory BoardLaw360, February 27, 2017
- Super Lawyers, January 2017
- Hospitality Cases To Watch In 2017Law360, January 2, 2017
- Law360, December 12, 2016
- Law360, September 12, 2016
- Chicago Lawyer, September 2016
- Crain's Chicago Business, January 20, 2016
- Chicago Lawyer, September 4, 2014
- Chicago Lawyer, September 2014
- Law360, November 21, 2013
- Mr. Eppley was the keynote speaker at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management’s Business Law Conference in February 2012. Mr. Eppley has also served as a faculty member and lectured for the National Association of Bond Lawyers. He has also been a speaker and panelist at various National Association of Bond Lawyers seminars and conferences, and served as a panelist at real estate industry seminars. Mr. Eppley presented on 'Purchases, Sales, and Closing' at PLI’s 18th Annual Commercial Real Estate Institute on November 15, 2016, and he moderated "BisNow Chicago Repositioning & Adaptive Reuse 2017." Most recently he moderated "Fireside Chat: The Opening of the ACE Hotel Fulton Market," at BizNow Chicago Hotel Investment & Development Series 2017.
- Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2017
- University of Chicago Gleacher Center, November 15, 2016
- The Westin Chicago River North, December 17, 2014
- The Hotel Investment Networking ConferenceHilton Chicago, May 2014
- Law360 Hospitality Editorial Advisory Board Member, 2016, 2017
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Capital Bank and Trust, a Chicago-based private bank
- Board of Directors, Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center/1871, a not-for-profit that provides programming and services for entrepreneurs and start-ups
- Member, Economic Club of Chicago, 2014 - present
- Member, City Club of Chicago, 2015 - present
- Member, Governing Board of Trustees, University of Illinois, 2001 - 2009
- Chairman, University of Illinois, 2003 - 2008
- Founding Board Member, IllinoisVENTURES LLC, 2003 - 2009, a University/owner venture capital company