Foreign Language Bio
- Commercial Lending and Financial Transactions
- Real Estate and Land Use
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1985, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1982, with high honors
- Master of Accounting Science, University of Illinois, 1982
- Passed Certified Public Accountant Exam, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Lawrence Eppley is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group and Office Managing Partner of the firm's Chicago office. He is also Leader of the firm's Hospitality Team.
Areas of Practice
Lawrence concentrates his practice on acquisitions, real estate finance, development, public and private finance, joint ventures and raising equity, particularly in the hospitality sector.
Previously, Lawrence was general counsel at Potbelly Sandwich Works, one of Chicago's fastest growing companies, and his clients rely on him as their principal outside legal counsel. He often works with middle-market and emerging growth companies, including those in the hospitality and restaurant sectors, and with structured and institutional finance.
Lawrence was named as one of Law360's Hospitality MVPs in both 2013 and 2016 for his extensive work in major transactions geared towards hotel development.
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2014-2018
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2013-2020
- Hospitality Sector Lawyer of the Year in Illinois, Corporate Intl, 2018
- Real Estate and Construction, Legal 500, 2014-2016
- Hospitality MVP, Law360, 2013, 2016
- Designated a "Distinguished Graduate of the College of Law" by the University of Illinois School of Law, 2002
- Represent clients in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of hotel projects throughout the U.S.
- Represent foreign investors in connection with U.S. real estate assets.
- Represent emerging growth restaurant companies.
- Represent major financial service institutions in connection with real estate financings.
- Served as General Counsel of Potbelly Sandwich Works.
- Hotel Indigo, New York, New York
- 1400 Cahuenga Blvd., Los Angeles, California
- 168 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois
- 850 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois
- The View, Jersey City, New Jersey
- Bay Harbor Hotel, Tampa, Florida
- Ventana Inn, Big Sur, California
- Viera Manor, Melbourne, Florida
- Carmel Valley Ranch, Carmel-By-The-Sea, California
- Mondrian Soho, New York, New York
- Essex Inn, Chicago, Illinois
- 29-26 Northern Blvd., Long Island City, New York
- 45-40 Vernon Blvd., Long Island City, New York
- B Ocean Hotel, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Trump Soho, New York City, New York
- Commune Hotel, New York City, New York
- CAA Building Hotel, Chicago, Illinois
- Hotel Lincoln, Chicago, Illinois
- Crown Miami Beach Hotel, Miami, Florida
- 360 North Michigan Avenue Building Hotel, Chicago, Illinois
- 330 North Wabash (former IBM Building), Chicago, Illinois
- 127 West Huron, Chicago, Illinois
- Temple Building Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts
- Wyndham Chicago, 633 St. Clair, Chicago, Illinois
- Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel, New York City, New York
- Radisson Lexington Hotel, New York City, New York
- Hotel Cass Chicago, Magnificent Mile, Chicago, Illinois
- Felix Hotel, River North, Chicago, Illinois
- Law360, June 14, 2018
Lawrence writes articles on subjects of commercial real estate for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education and has lectured for CLE International, Inc. He is a contributing author for IICLE's Commercial Landlord-Tenant Practice, 2015 Edition.
- Hotel Business Magazine, November 7, 2019
- 1871 Blog, June 21, 2019
- How civic engagement and charitable commitment can lead to the best art in townChicago Design Network, May 22, 2019
- Law360, March 19, 2019
- Hotel Business, November 2018
- Law360, October 24, 2018
- Bisnow, September 4, 2018
- Law360, August 27, 2018
- Hospitality Law, August 2018
- Law360, March 21, 2018
- Legal News Line, November 7, 2017
- New Chicago Sex Assault Law Aims To Protect Hotel WorkersLaw360, October 26, 2017
- Law360 Hospitality Editorial Advisory BoardLaw360, February 27, 2017
- Super Lawyers, January 2017
- Hospitality Cases To Watch In 2017Law360, January 2, 2017
- Law360, December 12, 2016
- Law360, September 12, 2016
- Chicago Lawyer, September 2016
- Crain's Chicago Business, January 20, 2016
- Chicago Lawyer, September 4, 2014
- Chicago Lawyer, September 2014
- Law360, November 21, 2013
- Lawrence moderated “Hotel Investment, Finance & Development” at the Bisnow Los Angeles Hotel Summit on March 14, 2019. He also presented on "Purchases, Sales, and Closing" at PLI’s Annual Commercial Real Estate Institute on November 15, 2016, October 25, 2017, and October 24, 2018, and he moderated "Bisnow Chicago Repositioning & Adaptive Reuse 2017."
- He also moderated "Fireside Chat: The Opening of the ACE Hotel Fulton Market," at Bisnow Chicago Hotel Investment & Development Series 2017. Lawrence was the keynote speaker at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management’s Business Law Conference in February 2012.
- He has also served as a faculty member and lectured for the National Association of Bond Lawyers. Lawrence has also been a speaker and panelist at various National Association of Bond Lawyers seminars and conferences, and served as a panelist at real estate industry seminars.
- University of Chicago Gleacher Center, October 24, 2018
- LawlineMay 12, 2017
- University of Chicago Gleacher Center, November 15, 2016
- The Westin Chicago River North, December 17, 2014
- The Hotel Investment Networking ConferenceHilton Chicago, May 2014
- Law360 Hospitality Editorial Advisory Board Member, 2016-2019
- Advisory Board, University of Illinois at Chicago’s Leadership, 2018
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Capital Bank and Trust, a Chicago-based private bank
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center/1871, a not-for-profit that provides programming and services for entrepreneurs and start-ups
- Board of Directors, Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Economic Club of Chicago, 2014 - present
- Member, City Club of Chicago, 2015 - present
- Member, Governing Board of Trustees, University of Illinois, 2001 - 2009
- Chairman, University of Illinois, 2003 - 2008
- Founding Board Member, IllinoisVENTURES LLC, 2003 - 2009, a University/owner venture capital company