- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2007
- B.A., University of Southern California, 2003
- New York
Matt Bonovich is a special counsel in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group and the Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance team in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Matt has been working on energy transactions for over a decade, with particular experience in renewables. During this time, he has negotiated all manner of project contracts, including M&A transactions, power purchase agreements, hedges, construction and procurement, interconnection and transmission and operations and maintenance. Recently, Matt has negotiated several turnkey build transfers.
Prior to returning to private practice, Matt served as Deputy General Counsel with Invenergy, responsible for commercial transactions. His responsibilities included joint ventures, joint development arrangements, project acquisitions and dispositions, a variety of offtake arrangements, construction and procurement and all other commercial transactions integral to the full life span of the company's projects. In this role, Matt also managed the legal affairs of Invenergy's projects with various counterparties and stakeholders, guided regulatory matters for these projects, performed risk analysis and served on the company's risk management committee.
Matt has experience in the full life cycle of energy projects, from inception, through development, financing and construction, to operation. He has worked with all types of energy technologies, including wind, solar, storage, transmission, natural gas, cogen, LNG and biomass. Matt has been a frequent speaker on a variety of renewable energy topics.
- Recommended Attorney - Energy, The Legal 500, 2019
- "Build-Transfer Agreements for Renewable Energy Projects: Deal Structures, Key Challenges and Risk Considerations," Strafford Webinar, May 16, 2019
- "Renewable Energy M&A: Deal Structures, Key Issues, and Diligence Considerations When Buying and Selling Renewable Energy Projects," Strafford Webinar, April 10, 2018
- "Structuring Solar Development Financing, Leasing and Operating Agreements for Commercial Properties," Strafford Webinar, January 25, 2018
- Avoiding Pitfalls in Buying and Selling Renewable Energy ProjectsStrafford Webinar, October 8, 2019