The Ethics of Doing Business with China
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Hawaii State Bar Association
HSBA Conference Room
1100 Alakea Street, Suite 1000
Honolulu, HI 96813
The trend is for Chinese companies to pursue business investments in the U.S. With direct air flights between China and Hawaii, there will be more Chinese exposure to business opportunities in Hawaii. Likewise, more Hawaii businesses will similarly find business opportunities in China. With greater potential for cross-border business investments and transactions involving Chinese parties, every Hawaii lawyer who has to deal with Chinese business parties and their China-based lawyers must be well-prepared to identify and deal with ethics issues including possible corruption.
What are the rules governing ethical business practices for Chinese persons and businesses conducted outside of China?
- What are the rules governing ethical business practices for foreign businesses and their representatives in China?
- How can you identify punishable unethical business practices?
- When engaging China-based counsel in a cross-border transaction, are their ethical rules similar with the Rules of Professional Responsibility?
- To whom do Chinese attorneys owe their duty of loyalty?
- Can a foreign client assert the attorney-client privilege for information improperly disclosed by local China-based counsel?
- How can you mitigate your risk for your U.S. client when engaging or working with China-based counsel?
This one hour presentation is a primer on the ethics of transacting business with Chinese parties and lawyers. The discussion will cover business ethics rules established under the U.S. Foreign Corruption Practices Act and China's anti-bribery and corruption laws, as well as legal ethics governing Chinese lawyers under the Lawyer's Law of the People's Republic of China.
Russell Leu, Esq., Special Counsel, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP
This course qualifies for 1 CLE unit which may be applied towards RSCH 22 MCPE requirement.
To register, please contact Jasmine Graffis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 808.792.7336.